Colour of Squadron Codes/Tactical Markings on Mosquito.

harrison987

Hey guys...

A bit of an odd thing here.

These two pieces of fabric came off the same DH98 Mosquito.

While one of the "O" is painted the standard white...the other one (presumably, the other side of the aircraft) was ORIGNALLY painted white, but overpainted in a light blue.

I have not heard of this myseld...so I am curious if anyone else has any input or thoughts?

I am thinking one may be part of the squadron code, while the other was maybe the aircraft ID?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mike

Edited by harrison987

30 minutes ago, harrison987 said:

These two pieces of fabric came off the same DH98 Mosquito.

Any idea which Mosquito?    Where they came from?    That you are in Los Angles make think of Hollywood and films, and thus 633 Squadron...

More background on these would greatly help answer your question.   Fascinating items whatever.

1 minute ago, UberDaveToo said:

Perhaps wood might qualify as a fiber?

4 minutes ago, rossm said:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid but fabric from a (plywood) Mosquito????

The Mosquito was was overcovered in fabric. 

https://youtu.be/kVqEs2t-17g?t=49

link to time

Yup...

This has been 100% ID'd as Mosquito...

Oh, the German Veteran mainly served on the Eastern Front (also, settled there after the war).  Not a lot of Mosquitos were flying that far, as far as I know...unless Reconnaissance missions (?).  Camo would not suggest a recce bird...

Camo suggests a later aircraft, as do the rest of the fabric piece that he removed.

Edited by harrison987

1 hour ago, harrison987 said:

While one of the "O" is painted the standard white...the other one (presumably, the other side of the aircraft) was ORIGNALLY painted white, but overpainted in a light blue.

White was not a standard colour for RAF squadron codes, Sky was, which was a very pale yellowy green,  and can look like white with age

Sky codes

3545139357_a93809c9dd_b.jpgMosquito line-up by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

WW-II-British-RAF-Aircraft-TACTICAL-MARK

note in this picture that where the light blue is scratched off the letter, the under colour look like Sky.

Sky Blue was used on occasion,  i was going to say white was not, but this turned up,

16292746102_900154a6a2_b.jpgMosquito FB Mk.VI, May 1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

but this is Coastal Command in 1945. 

but note,  this is not in fighter colours, and the fabric parts look to be in the nightfighter scheme, of overall Medium Sea grey with a Dark green disruptive pattern, which is what the fabric appears to show.

26351032248_72c6f289dc_b.jpgNew Mosquito, 1944 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

4 minutes ago, harrison987 said:

This has been 100% ID'd as Mosquito...

The photos look to be taken indoors under artificial light.     From the photo URL  I take it this is not something you have personal access too?

Without any more information,  eg the German pilot, which might give a date, and a possible tie up with a Mosquito loss,  I don't know if there is much else to go on.

Anyway, fascinating artefact. 

HTH

38 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Any idea which Mosquito?    Where they came from?    That you are in Los Angles make think of Hollywood and films, and thus 633 Squadron...

More background on these would greatly help answer your question.   Fascinating items whatever.

Of all the Mosquitoes used in filming "633 Squadron." two were destroyed during filming, the rest made it into museums. Only one wound up in the US to eventually be restored, and displayed in the USAF museum. Hollywood may have produced it, but it was filmed in the UK...

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

White was not a standard colour for RAF squadron codes, Sky was, which was a very pale yellowy green,  and can look like white with age

Sky codes

3545139357_a93809c9dd_b.jpgMosquito line-up by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

WW-II-British-RAF-Aircraft-TACTICAL-MARK

note in this picture that where the light blue is scratched off the letter, the under colour look like Sky.

Sky Blue was used on occasion,  i was going to say white was not, but this turned up,

16292746102_900154a6a2_b.jpgMosquito FB Mk.VI, May 1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

but this is Coastal Command in 1945. 

but note,  this is not in fighter colours, and the fabric parts look to be in the nightfighter scheme, of overall Medium Sea grey with a Dark green disruptive pattern, which is what the fabric appears to show.

26351032248_72c6f289dc_b.jpgNew Mosquito, 1944 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

The photos look to be taken indoors under artificial light.     From the photo URL  I take it this is not something you have personal access too?

Without any more information,  eg the German pilot, which might give a date, and a possible tie up with a Mosquito loss,  I don't know if there is much else to go on.

Anyway, fascinating artefact. 

HTH

Hi,

No, I have full access to it.  I own it.  These are also from the same bird:

spacer.png

spacer.png

My confusion is as to why one tactical code is white (or Sky)...while the other was overpainted in a light blue. 

:(

Mike