Grumman Avenger MkIIJZ186/Q*4P

My first completion of the Year (started last year).

Subject:-

Grumman Avenger MkIIJZ186/Q*4P. 854 NAS HMS Illustrious. Operation Meridian II Jan-1945.

On 29 January, Operation Meridian II, an air strike against the oil refinery at Soengei Gerong, Sumatra, was undertaken. Having dropped their bombs on the target the Avengers escaped at low level. On escape they were attacked by the defending fighters. The squadron CO was attacked by Japanese fighters, following behind Lt GJ Connolly fired his forward firing machine guns destroying one Ki-44 'Tojo' and damaging another.  Lt GJ Connolly (pilot), Lt RE Jess (Observer), Unknown (TAG).

Model:-

Hobby Boss Fleet Air Arm Avenger MkI/II. 1/48.

Observers cockpit is scratch built (inc seats and panels). Pilots cockpit detailed out. Lower cabin is detailed (torch, and magnifier is required). Scratched up some machine gun barrels.  Extra bombs provided. Wing fold mechanism scratch built. Observers domed windows crash moulded (best not really studied).

Paint - Xtracrylics. Markings - Various Generic.

Some photos

52668024661_e606768565_o.jpg

52668313744_36656dcfd6_o.jpg

52667528002_eecc0ed8a9_o.jpg

52668024586_a1766c641d_o.jpg

52668313784_d1b7fc0731_o.jpg

52668526018_e1297bd973_o.jpg

52668460510_332c5eace4_o.jpg

52668313854_589fb5870e_o.jpg

52668024511_00af8341d7_o.jpg

52667527932_fe30848c96_o.jpg

Its not medal winning - but I hope you like it.

Thanks for stopping by:-

• Like 37

I think that's a great looking Avenger- I have one in the stash and would be happy if it turns out as well as your effort.  I like the weathering around the engine cowl in particular. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Troffa said:

I think that's a great looking Avenger- I have one in the stash and would be happy if it turns out as well as your effort.  I like the weathering around the engine cowl in particular. 

Thank you.

Canopy masks are essential for this kit esp. the Turret.  Even though I cut around them I ended up lifting the paint though and needed to paint some back in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb Avenger and likewise most excellent photography – the sea background really helps in establishing the environment. I can almost hear the crash of waves…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. 

B&W photo on a grey painted board..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely build and finish GB - the wing fold is particularly impressive!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Luckily my son was in New York before Christmas.  As he was going to visit USS Intrepid, I sent and order to photograph the wing fold mechanism..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

You don't see too many FAA Avengers (Tarpons?!) built and this one's a cracker. Thanks too for the backstory, sounds like quite the combat action!

Thank you.

I think by '45 it was known by the US name rather than the UK name, either way, its an interesting action.  I understand that the observer actually dumped the door to get better post strike photographs, I assume by hand held camera.  This aircraft is modelled before the strike (bombs loaded) and before the door was ejected..

• Like 1

I've always liked the Avenger in FAA livery.  It makes it look almost like another type of aircraft without the solid Navy Blue color.  All the work we do on the interiors of an aircraft are best, and most often only, remembered by the photos we take prior to closing up the fuselage halves and putting on the canopies.  We know it is there and wish there was some way it would be obvious but that just never occurs.  Thanks for sharing this wonderful build and finish.   

• Like 1