Meng F-4G

Julien

49 minutes ago, Buz said:

@Julien

Look forward to hearing a little write up on this one, as I'm thinking about dropping some money for it. Any particular aircraft you're interested in making?

Buz

Either old school SEA or the wrap around as in the picture above, im not a fan of the later schemes. 

69-7587

McDonnell F-4G-42-MC cn. 3780 69-0253 'SP' 81st TFS (52nd TFW)

Similar to these two? - Let me know if you want more photos I have around 20 in SEA schemes (the original and wrap around), anyone else want any let me know I have around 140 odd photos of various G models - happy to share them (they are all scanned from negs/slides at 3600 dpi if you want the raw images)

Buz

• Like 5

Hi Julien, I saw that Speedhunter Graphics just put out this sheet. I plan on getting one myself for my Hasegawa Wild Weasel:

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/decals/early-weasels-f-4g-wild-weasels

Buz: I'm very interested in those SEA WW photos, as they are pretty scarce to find on the net. Could I ask you to share them with me at: [email protected]?

1 hour ago, daneel said:

'm very interested in those SEA WW photos, as they are pretty scarce to find on the net. Could I ask you to share them with me at: [email protected]?

Daneel

Very hard to find photos of those, I have 5 photos, for some reason the Captions messed up when I sent them (probably fat fingered my end), captions below for you, anyhow you should be getting a wetransfer link (I kept them at the original scanned size, tif files)

B&W (photo) 69-7587 - McDonnell F-4G-45-MC cn. 4079 69-7587 'WW' 563rd TFS (37th TFW) Sep 1981 (possibly at Wildenrath)

Colour Slide 69-0238 - McDonnell F-4G-45-MC cn. 3760 69-0238 'WW' 563rd TFS (37th TFW) George AFB Oct 1982

Colour Slide 69-7219 - McDonnell F-4G-45-MC cn. 3880 69-7219 'WW' 563rd TFS (35th TFW) 1980 (location is unknown - until I find the slide again)

Colour Slide 69-7302 - McDonnell F-4G-44-MC cn. 3985 69-7302 'WW' 563rd TFS (37th TFW) George AFB Oct 1982

Colour Slide 69-7561 - McDonnell F-4E-45-MC cn. 4010 69-7561 'WW' 563rd TFS (35th TFW) George AFB Oct 1980

Buz

Edited by Buz

8 hours ago, daneel said:

Hi Julien, I saw that Speedhunter Graphics just put out this sheet. I plan on getting one myself for my Hasegawa Wild Weasel:

Buz: I'm very interested in those SEA WW photos, as they are pretty scarce to find on the net. Could I ask you to share them with me at: [email protected]?

Thanks they dont post to the UK on their website I have contacted them on facebook and by email but sadly had no response after my inital question.

On 05/02/2023 at 09:56, daneel said:

Good news is I have heard back from them so my order has gone in.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 9:42 AM, Duncan B said:

It's a cracking kit isn't it, I am so tempted to "liberate" one from stock and build it straight away.

(Is that a strike camera in the other fwd Sparrow bay?)

Duncan B

I think that the object in the Front Port Sparrow Bay is an ECM Pod, either AN/ALQ 119 (V) or an AN/ALQ 184, (the latter is a development of the former) I can't see a strike camera in the Starboard Front?

I got my Meng kit a couple of days ago, looks great, only gripe is the lack of Belly strengthening strap, as far as I can tell (happy to be corrected!) - all F-4G should have this feature.  The ZM Kit has it integrally moulded.  Aftermarket/ Scratch or ignore- your choice 🙂 

Cheers,

Troffa

19 hours ago, Troffa said:

I think that the object in the Front Port Sparrow Bay is an ECM Pod, either AN/ALQ 119 (V) or an AN/ALQ 184, (the latter is a development of the former) I can't see a strike camera in the Starboard Front?

Level with the intake splitter plate in the stbd sparrow bay there is a camo painted 'box' of some sort. The USAF strike cameras were a different shape to our ones.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Level with the intake splitter plate in the stbd sparrow bay there is a camo painted 'box' of some sort. The USAF strike cameras were a different shape to our ones.

Duncan B

I believe it's test equipment used by Detachment 5 of the TAWC. At that time, 1981-82 or so, they drew on squadron aircraft (like the 561st TFS jet depicted) for various trials. Later, they had 2-3 dedicated F-4Gs coded OT. 

The four different weapons was a publicity shot thing, as HARM superseded Standard ARM, but does look impressive. Maverick, if carried in pairs on the LAU-88, would be fitted to the bottom and inboard rail. 

The Meng does look to be a great kit, even though all 134 F-4G conversions featured the belly strap. Waiting for a correctly shaped set from a UK distributor, but may resort to cutting one from thin plasticard.

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/02/2023 at 09:56, daneel said:

These finally arrived (TBH good time from the US) and are excellent. I picked up some Phantom stencils at the same time.

Only issue now I have the sheet is that there are so many good schemes on there :frantic:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

@Julien what are you going to do about the missing stiffening strip on the bottom of the fuselage? That seems to be a bit of a glaring miss by Meng.

Duncan B

I have got one in one of my other F-4 kits so can use this even as a template, tho TBH if its displayed normally without a mirror base who is going to know?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Julien said:

TBH if its displayed normally without a mirror base who is going to know?

14 hours ago, Slater said:

To the probably 95% who build this kit, the stiffening strap is a non-issue. As long as it looks reasonably like an F-4G they're happy.

Yep, that's my way of thinking too.

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants the Early sheet for the G from Speed Hunter Graphics, or their re-printed Combat Weasels sheet they now have shipping to the UK on their website.

Julie