Hungarian Butcher Birds: A Double Build of FW 190F-8s

Thanks @Stew Dapple and @opus999!

Coming along . . . I started on the RLM 02 in the wheels wells on and some of the UC. I can't seem to get the retracted landing gear pieces out of the Airfix one, so just attempting to paint in situ!

y4mlvoIMYGKMm76imxniOj3A6oD0vhYiNVbGRJv5

I also sprayed some black on wheels and prop pieces and Airfix pilot.

y4mX9ngq674GpK_BczroHOEsDzlwZnf6kMw1REVK

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I also sprayed some black on wheels and prop pieces and Airfix pilot.

Apologies if stating the obvious.

Luftwaffe prop blades were RLM 70 black green as standard.

Wheels had gloss black centres, but the tyres were dark grey.   This is also standard for all Luftwaffe wheels

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R6-JG3-Kanonenboot

The tyres are often look a lighter grey than this, and yes, that's a colour pic of a Hungarian Gustav.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6-RHAF-unknown-unit

HTH,  and sorry, not dug out my fighter colours books yet....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Apologies if stating the obvious.

Luftwaffe prop blades were RLM 70 black green as standard.

Wheels had gloss black centres, but the tyres were dark grey.   This is also standard for all Luftwaffe wheels

No need to apologize! All good on RLM 70 for the prop blades, just some black as a base before I brush on the black/green. 

On my Gustavs I've been just doing all black tires/hubs and then applying some gloss to the hubs as I find in many photos there does not appear to be much contrast between hubs and tires. But, those photos you've shared show otherwise, so perhaps on these I'll dig out some dark grey and give the tires a go!

15 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6-RHAF-unknown-unit

Gorgeous, this will be useful for my Minor Gustavs project...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'll dig out some dark grey and give the tires a go!

FWIW, I use Tamiya's NATO black for my tires.  It has a very faint greenish tinge that seems to look like a tire to me.  But tire color seems to be in the eye of the beholder, so it may not look like tires to you.

• Like 2

Afaik the Germans used synthetic rubber for their tyres giving a grey rather than black appearance. I’d say nato black is a bit dark, but it wouldn’t be too far off the wheel colour in the first 109 picture, that said it is more of a dark grey than a black and I use a lot if it in my models. For German aircraft I usually go for more of an extra dark sea grey for the tyres. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Some work on the Revell spinner--Pledge on and then decal affixed. First time I've done one of these Luftwaffe spirals and I was pleased to have not much difficulty with the decal. Prop is just dry fitted to give me something to hold onto--will pull it off and paint it RLM 70 before I glue it. I'll work on the Airfix spinner next, it has a white spiral decal, too.

y4mdYbEdq2SjEcDKedjU1DBdnlfh4bYLpHfnSvqw

I put the decals on the 500 kg bomb, too. 

y4m-w7hI2mYK0inoXRcgxMNayxb0p2YoiGsDy4m-

I don't have decals for the 250 kg bomb. 

• Like 6

Its awesome when those spiral decals work perfectly.  When they don't... 😕  I had to hand paint a spiral a couple of years ago.  I don't ever want to do that again.  Yours looks terrific though!

I love the bomb. It looks great.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, opus999 said:

had to hand paint a spiral a couple of years ago. 

Oh it’s not that bad. I vaguely remember painting 1/72 laminated propellors now that was challenging. (These days I don’t do too many 1/72 WWI types and I carve my laminated props from paper) 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:12 AM, opus999 said:

Its awesome when those spiral decals work perfectly.  

My second decal did not work as well as the first--broke into two before I even had it off the transfer paper, but I got it done. I got the backs on them both, too, and the blades painted black green.

y4mDgoe0fGp9RCKiFl-i5EG6fXitDBqsAQtEYCQa

I have got on with the blue grey (Tamiya XF-23) and some other UC pieces and colours, etc.

y4mDyy3RsaggGsLcOMAqh7hMQsUPqX53xLm4NEiX

y4mF1fmnzU-IXu0RazpD7X9-Q8J0wNOz10ojOIZX

Also, my decals arrived and they look great.

y4muLwFurht73DgGirhmkCD7fMK7iQqQmqM58SV1

I'll be proceeding with both of these as Hungarian--yellow 54 and white 21, both of which feature plenty of yellow. 

y4mW1PxVNgtYLetJDti1-df5kWtTCAl4bmV3TZSE

• Like 8

• ModelingEdmontonian changed the title to Hungarian Butcher Birds: A Double Build of FW 190F-8s
On 2/18/2023 at 1:09 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

My second decal did not work as well as the first--broke into two before I even had it off the transfer paper, but I got it done.

Uh-oh.  I jinxed you.  Sorry. :( 

I love those decals.  Hmm.  Now you've got me mulling the possibility of a Hungarian 190 in the future.  🤔

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I love those decals.  Hmm.  Now you've got me mulling the possibility of a Hungarian 190 in the future.  🤔

They look amazing. Can't wait to get these all dressed up...

I've started the upper camo... I spent a lot of time looking at photos to try to figure out RLM 74/75, but gosh these are strange colours to nail down. I don't have high standards for colour accuracy, but I feel what I've gone with is working for me even if not perfect.

y4m9N9sek_CRMYJHPxCAS_nq0OzXRGD3h-GZ3gDY

I've put some yellow on, too, so I can easily tell them apart (yellow cowling is the Revell, which will be yellow 54, and yellow tail is the Airfix, which will be white 21). You can also see I've been painting dark grey on the Revell wheels and some blue on the Airfix pilot.

y4m1aDuQLFVQ45gIry3tGEftaQQx1XtTG9C4aAg-

• Like 7

NICE! Interesting also for me, I have in stash Revell F8 and that Techmod set as well. I think I have some photos in a Hungarian book. But this Romanian one was also cute...

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, JWM said:

NICE! Interesting also for me, I have in stash Revell F8 and that Techmod set as well. I think I have some photos in a Hungarian book. But this Romanian one was also cute...

Will be great to see you build it, whether Hungarian or Romanian! 

I am now realizing the spinner should be RLM 70 with the white spirals and not black... but no way I'm fixing that now 🤭

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Part of my motivation for building a 190 (which, of course, turned into two 190s) is I wanted to practice Luftwaffe mottling before I start doing it for my Minor Gustavs project. Somehow it felt lower stakes to do it on these butcher birds... I've done some technique research, looked at some pictures, and yesterday finally tried to give it a go on the Revell. In the end, I found I liked the Q-tip method best and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I just used RLM 75, not quite sure if I should use RLM 74 too or not, but I'm include to leave it with just RLM 75 as I'm not sure how much difference it will make anyway given how thinned the paint is. Here is the Revell compared to the Airfix. I think the port side could be considered finished.

y4mvj_C1GcqV3P_Vi5QzcxYcVyRjFjMu9QmBxQOT

At the moment it is more subdued on the starboard side, but I will go over it again to even it out.

y4mRKs2oYor3z-rPUmSnfLidDPWwPNMFdJaZLclr

Happy to hear any thoughts, but I feel I am on the right track . . . I'll try to finish up the Revell before starting on the Airfix. 

• Like 6

That's not looking bad. If you've got any references showing the aircraft you're building (or one from it's group) they should give you an idea on the mottling. Sometimes it was one colour, sometimes two or three. The amount of mottles and how heavy they were applied varied wildly as well

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit more to do with the yellow cowling on the Revell, and I have to paint the guns, but otherwise I'm happy enough with the paintwork on these. 

y4mz05bjD0T_TYZWI3jZuPbzWZhJhmK8-UGegRin

Techmod gives me one decal for the underwing yellow ID markings, and I'm using some yellow strip decals I bought for the other one. Here I am cutting those out, more or less. Better modelers would paint these on, but I'm taking the easy route.

y4m5H03f2_oMeLCnxXN2cvNzDou0ps04QHQFk1Lm

Meanwhile, tri-colour decal (I have two sets of these) applied to the port side of the rudder for Airfix.

y4mLqK266GsRRs7EndNEpgMpeB4QzpjHfizldKaV

• Like 6

Looking good in the camouflage. The mottling looks quite understated, which is a good thing.

I remember when I did my first adult mottle attempt, I quickly ended up with an overall grey aeroplane!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

I've completed the decals on the undersides of both FW 190s. The top one is the Revell and has the Techmod yellow "V" decal, the bottom one is what I've done with my yellow strips (not quite the right colour, but close enough for me. 

y4me9G54akrKhAuchexlhpzSIgiDvblBpN_1RVfi

• Like 5

I don't think anyone would spot the colour difference in the V's without them being side by side like that. They're both looking good :)

James

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

I don't think anyone would spot the colour difference in the V's without them being side by side like that. They're both looking good

But unless they were sprayed at the same time with the same mix irl then some variation would occur anyway. :) 

There is definitely more of an orange hue to the upper one. But I wouldn’t worry about it.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1