Spitfire Mk.Vc Trop 79 Squadron RAAF. 1/48 Eduard.

This my second from the superb “Southern Star” Dual Combo boxing after my 92 squadron Mk.Vb - 

I always wanted to build an Aussie spit but every time I have nearly got to it - something came up to put me off. So now I have done it and I am reasonably pleased with the result - though I should learn my lesson and do ALL of my research before I start.

Based on research carried out by the genius Peter Malone and some self interpretation of pictures found on the net, I modified the Eduard colour scheme and made a couple of minor mods to the kit.

Basic plan was for a standard Tropical RAF colour scheme of Dark Earth/Mid-Stone over Azure Blue but with the Mid-stone overpainted with Foliage Green. The white tail and wing leading edges were apparently (I hope) added shortly before the squadron moved north to Kiriwina Island for operations. Also at this time it appears that the Mk.II IFF was replaced by the Mk.III IFF which dispensed with the wires from the fuselage to tail to be replaced by a dipole aerial under the starboard wing. I hate those wires so a dipole was dutifully and gratefully added. Also, the pipes for the gun heating system were removed from the rear of the exhaust leaving unfilled holes in the cowling - suitable holes were duly drilled (Well after painting - should have done my research earlier!)In all the pictures I could find - none showed any stencilling so I was lazy and left them out - I can feel a rash of pictures coming along to prove this wrong now!

I wasn’t happy with the Eduard suggestion for the colours of the Votes filter sides and the spinner. They both look like similar but slightly different greens from the Foliage Green to me and my interpretation of the pictures.

I tried to make the whole thing look a little but scruffy and dusty but as I noted to a friend - that often makes it look not so well done! There was one howler which was too late to correct but no model is perfect so it will have to stay as it is.

Anyway - again a super kit from Eduard and again the removal of the carrier film from the decals was fairly easy and effective. Will definitely be building more!

Cheers

Malcolm

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Like the Spitfire Vb you have shown us already, this looks fantastic and I agree with your colour interpretation rather than the in box scheme. I believe you used the last batches of the Hunbrol 157 that had the correct shade it looks fantastic. What colour did you use for the foliage Green? Weathering looks jut right not too little not too much. Decals look very good too. Well done. These are the schemes I would choose from this box as well as I love Australian WW2 planes and the other choice the pilot came from where I went to school.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind comments!

2 hours ago, ROB61 said:

Like the Spitfire Vb you have shown us already, this looks fantastic and I agree with your colour interpretation rather than the in box scheme. I believe you used the last batches of the Hunbrol 157 that had the correct shade it looks fantastic. What colour did you use for the foliage Green? Weathering looks jut right not too little not too much. Decals look very good too. Well done. These are the schemes I would choose from this box as well as I love Australian WW2 planes and the other choice the pilot came from where I went to school.

Thanks Rob. Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention the colours used.

Correct - again the Azure Blue was from the last batches of the Humbrol 157. Really must give the Acrylic version a try before I run out!.

The Dark Earth was Mr Hobby H72. Now despite all the more modern thinking - it is my contention, having seen loads of dug up and preserved parts of real spits/Hurricanes and other assorted WW2 types over the years in my native Kent, that this colour just looks right to me as a base for a worn, weathered and faded Dark Earth for wartime RAF aircraft. It does get filtered by my oil weathering techniques but I love it!

The Foliage Green was SMS - I saw a couple of models on line and at shows last year and - although I have never seen an Australian WW2 aircraft - it just looked right. I guess, since it is manufactured in Australia, it has a good chance of being right! It is the first time I have used SMS and it was great - good density and easily sprayed but dries extremely quickly and very matt! 

Cool connection with the pilot - great reason to model the aircraft for sure! A wonderful kit and with care a super result can be had. Look forward to seeing your builds. I'm off onto other subjects for a while but I will be back to this lovely Spitfire series again at some stage - plus some IX/VIIIs too! I quite fancy a few Malta spits - more dust/fading and colour interpretations!

Cheers

Malcolm

Ex-qui-site Spitfire! I just love it when those subtle "typical Spit" details are there – the beautifully detailed hatch (which doesn't hang straight down), the drooping elevators and the amazingly realistic exhaust stacks.

Quality all the way. Bravo!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...