Nigel Mansell's Tamiya 1/12 Williams Renault FW14B

Hi All

Following up from a mini-WIP I posted a couple of days ago - more an after action report really, here are some pictures of the FW14B that I completed last year. One of my favourite builds of all time this, I has so much fun, even though I had to respray if a few times and messed up a decal. It's not a perfect finish, there's a few lines where the varnish cracked a little and it could be glossier, but it still looks pretty cool.

Hope you enjoy (I'd say as much as I did, but that's not going to be the case, I had a great time building it). Thanks

5RgPSWqtONP1OOeYCkGOrX19RDvPG9dFTtoBL-Tm

aFiRYdg1-6e5HRPHQMsa9Jyum3aqomwbRy67G4PC

oM8Sf7I0VUDTnqhEjvC55FziyG-i4NLge_lZo_uG

7gAVVE9cwDMQJEn5L5d4vAteTweLa5RU5_WH6_cJ

gmraDhDR51QCfECZBdaXuqlWTzI8mKpEf54FD4H5

7luRzOJYibExJFNSMtus7LEmlOe8RbpYOGaebalJ

TEKJ4ITN6d73Tup9YbTL05s4yV6waUZSBuS5O7Zb

jezmHxWipqFw4IkuMfcwh9lymG8E_6Mx5pl1fDkv

• Like 24

2 hours ago, Malc2 said:

These big Tamiya models do look good.

@MRMRL Can you expand a bit on the paints and colours you finaly ended up using?

Malc.

Thanks @Vesa Jussila and @Malc2

to answer the question, initially I used the rattle cans listed in the instructions, TS44 brilliant blue and TS34 camel yellow. The yellow I kept, but the brilliant blue was just too light. I used the MK1 eyeball in the end and used Mr Hobby15 bright blue. I don't think it's spot on, but close enough to be hard to identify.

• Like 1

Hey that's a great model of the good days of F1. If my wife got a peak of this she'd want me to build one. Being bold if I may, I'd look at removing those mould lines on the tyres. Will look ten times better.

Sorry.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, speedy said:

I'd look at removing those mould lines on the tyres. Will look ten times better.

I was afraid about sanding it lest I damage the tyre, any suggestions?

Brand new GoodYears had a mould line round the middle as new, this wore off as the laps progressed obvs, so it depends if you want to depict beginning or end of race condition.

Admittedly the Tamiya tyre mould line is a bit more pronounced than IRO.

You can reduce the effect, mount some brand new coarse (80 or 100 grit) sand paper on a flat stick and sand away.

The best method is to mount the tyres on a spindle in a lathe or drill, then sand as it rotates, but use a finer grit.

Post sanding:-

IMG-6442.jpg

M.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very nice :yes: I built a 1:24 Ferrari with Mansell figure as a youth, and managed to get the slant of the eyebrows inside that helmet just right.  I was proud of myself ;)

• Haha 2

Thanks @Malc2, that's a great tip and I'll give that a go at some point. Good to know that "damaging" the tyre deliberately looks convincing.

@Mike, thanks. I'm rubbish at doing figures of any sort, so I'd be pleased with that at my age, nevermind when I was a youth. It was a sad day when Nigel shaved off the 'tache.

Thanks @galaxyg, I agree. I've said elsewhere in the forum, that for me, this was the pinnacle of F1, the fastest and most powerful the cars ever got before aerodynamics took over to make natural overtaking all but impossible. It's why I have only 2 F1 cars in the stash, this and Senna's McLaren of the same period. I'd be tempted by the earlier Lotus coming out soon, but only because I like the scheme, not for nostalgia purposes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRMRL said:

@Mike, thanks. I'm rubbish at doing figures of any sort, so I'd be pleased with that at my age, nevermind when I was a youth. It was a sad day when Nigel shaved off the 'tache.

:lol: I think I'd left F1 by then.  I made the mistake of buying a house that needed a ton of work, and couldn't justify 2-3 hours on the sofa when the bathroom needed tiling or something :owww: IIRC it was a bit processional around that period too. :rolleyes:

What's next?  now I've got a car stash I should probably build one sometime. :hmmm:

• Like 1

Fabulous build of a complex subject . As I said previously,  personally the best F1 car ever and Mansell , as a driver,   took no prisoners . I looked at this kit in the model shop years ago but it was always too expensive . I'll admire yours instead ! 

Gary . 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tomasz Zamiara said:

I'm building this model right now. I can see that I still have a long way to go. Congratulations and best regards.

Thanks. I'd say it's about the most enjoyable model I've built ever, hope you enjoy it too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/20/2023 at 12:59 PM, F-32 said:

Great model of the greatest F1 car of all time!

You won't get any disagreement from me here, F1 hasn't been the same since, it was all downhill after the cars of this era.