Hobby Boss 1/48 CV-22 Osprey AFSOC Tail # 0051

Ok so this is only my 2nd model after a 23 year hiatus from the hobby.  One of my brothers in my MC is a dedicated crew chief on the ospreys and since he is close to retiring from the USAF I wanted to recreate his bird as a gift.  He sent me a lot of reference photos so I hope he likes it.  This is the MV-22 kit converted to the CV-22. I used the Red Fox 3d cockpit details, scratch-built the cargo area, used various PE from Eduard and used the Black Dog CV conversion kit.  Decals were mixed from the kit and from Caracal but I had to custom make the numbers for the tail (#0051, which is his birds tail number). I also installed red LEDs in the cockpit and cargo area to simulate an "operational" status and added blinking navigation lights to the engine nacelles.  The Ospreys used to have a 2 toned scheme but the Air Force recently went to a 1 color paint job so he asked me to use that instead.  Painted with a mixture of Tamiya acrylics and lacquers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BleedingBlue said:

Clearly you haven't lost a step over your hiatus.   That's an amazing model and our brother will surely love it.

thank you kind sir

So let’s get this, right. You come back after 23 years away from the hobby, choose a kit that is not exactly ‘Shake ‘n’ Bake’ and use a conversion set to create a different variant. Not content with this, you also add aftermarket details and scratch-build details yourself. You then produce an absolutely awesome paint job. My problem is that I just can’t imagine what level of skill you would display had you not have taken that time off!! 😆

I’m not a great fan of the aircraft itself, but this is absolutely stunning work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Absolutely sublime work....well done!

As a matter of interest,  does anyone know why Ospreys have those painted stripes on the upper surfaces?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t15dja said:

As a matter of interest,  does anyone know why Ospreys have those painted stripes on the upper surfaces?

Good question, I was wondering myself what these could be. My guess - anti slip coating but these are usually whole areas without gaps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Nice work, looks mean! I've been hoping that Hobby Boss would make a CV version but still waiting.

Does the kit allow for easy folding blades and wing storage?

i mean technically this kit comes with the bare minimum to make it a CV.  The instructions actually tell you to add these parts not knowing that the MV does have those psrts (mainly the radome on the front).  as far as folding the blades, the kit comes with blades for folded and deployed but only has 1 set of the "dome things" that cover the blades.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mark said:

So let’s get this, right. You come back after 23 years away from the hobby, choose a kit that is not exactly ‘Shake ‘n’ Bake’ and use a conversion set to create a different variant. Not content with this, you also add aftermarket details and scratch-build details yourself. You then produce an absolutely awesome paint job. My problem is that I just can’t imagine what level of skill you would display had you not have taken that time off!! 😆

I’m not a great fan of the aircraft itself, but this is absolutely stunning work.

well when you put it like that!! 🤣   i too often wonder where my skill level would be.  i started building models at age 10 and did it till i was 25 then life happened.  to be completely honest i did spend 3 months doing this kit but i watch A LOT of youtube videos on different techniques.

3 hours ago, t15dja said:

thank you sir....those stripes are anti-slip for when they do maintenance 

2 hours ago, RupertTheBear said:

Good question, I was wondering myself what these could be. My guess - anti slip coating but these are usually whole areas without gaps.

you are correct...they are anti-slip stripes 

Edited by Memphis514
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Yep, definitely outstanding work! Looks absolutely fantastic and I really like the lighting too - well done 

actually it was my first time doing a lighting job.  fortunately, the materials are really not that expensive, i think i spent like $20-25 on the LED's

38 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

I’ve been modelling for23 years continuously, and are nowhere near that level! Nature or nurture? Whatever, you are a gifted man,brilliant build.

thank you sir...i am just really detailed oriented.  like i said above i watch A LOT of videos.

5 minutes ago, Fred piket said:

You've done a fantastic job, I just can't believe you didn't do any building for 23 years. I wish I could ever reach a level of building quality like this (ain't gonna happen, but ok..)

yeah i stopped when i was 25 and picked it back up again a week after i turned 48 last year in October.  and you can reach any level, it just takes a LOT of patience and watching a LOT of videos and a LOT of trial and error  😆