Sova-m 1/72 Fairchild T-46A Eaglet Trainer

hsr

For my second build of the year here is the Fairchild T-46A Eaglet from the Ukrainian short run company Sova-M. The T-46A was supposed to be a replacement for the T-37 Tweet under the US Air Force's Next Generation Trainer program in the 1980's but, due to cost overruns, delays, mismanagement and not a little politics it was canceled after only 3 aircraft were built and the T-37 wasn't finally replaced until 2009 by the Beechcraft T-6 Texan II. This was the last effort from the old Republic Farmingdale Long Island facility which was closed after the cancelation 

This is a classic short run kit with poor fit and vague instruction. Particularly problematic were the engine nacelles with their poor fit to to the fuselage and lack of left/right symmetry. My first impression on opening the box was; there are sure a lot of parts for such a small bird. There are a total of 89 parts, plus a small photo-etch sheet and canopy mask. The photo etch sheet contained fuselage strakes and some vent openings but no seat belts. The canopy mask was of the vinyl type and I found that they were too small, didn't stick well and were generally useless But it came out nice and as they say; all's well that ends well. The decals were printed by Decograph and were very thin and they had a tendency to stick where they first land and not move. I would highly advice that anyone working with Decograph decals first give them a coat of Microscale Decal Film. On the plus side there was no silvering and the thin film disappeared once applied

Total build time was 14 days.

ZKGLPK1Z_o.jpg

nRkh2B3A_o.jpg

NNhjtjpC_o.jpg

hDtdTIvb_o.jpg

1oG2Q4UV_o.jpg

3upMMku3_o.jpg

Next up in the Italeri OH-58D.

Enjoy

• Like 28

Those short run kits give a nice choice of aircraft we would never see from mainstream manufacturers. I know the struggle too well with the Sova, Amodel, etc kits and you did a great job!

Peter

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Looks like Saab must have been working with Fairchild when developing their 105/SK60. Looks very similar in parts. 

It does, but the Saab is 20 years earlier, so it my have bee the other way around

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...