You're tryin' to break into another world A world I never knew - Airfix 1/72 Gloster Meteor FR.9

AliGauld

As I'm taking a break from the Swordfish and this arrived last week.

I thought, why not.

DDbtWBe.jpg

It means I get to play with PRU Blue again.

5JCdQ5g.jpg

VV1N7VV.jpg

rDpkkPj.jpg

JJlAKei.jpg

JHZsMT7.jpg

DphMIDg.jpg

ihe7ZtE.jpg

7IuA2lR.jpg

qPsFymX.jpg

I should manage to cut some plastic later.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Dr. Quack said:

Good plan......hope this one runs smoothly.

Nice scheme!

Niall R

Thanks Niall,

It wouldn't be one of my builds if it did though. :D

52 minutes ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Alistair, 

Think this one will give you little trouble, and I am sure that you will add your own 'stamp' on it. 

Look forward to seeing this build progress. 

Kevin 

Thanks Kevin,

There's no doubt I'll make one or two howling errors.

It's what i do.

49 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

How many rockets???

Looks like a very nice kit - thought it was 1/48 at first.

(but it's not even a Lockheed...)

Regards,

Adrian

Nicely noticed Adrian.

But can't a Meteor be a Shooting Star as well. :whistle:

12 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hi Alistair.

Ooohh, the 8 Sqn A/C looks superb.  As they say in your neck of the woods W for whiskey.        😉

Thanks Amos,

Absolutely the one to go for. :D

2 minutes ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

PRU blue - excellent!
Keep the cat off it and the build should be a lot of fun.  Better luck with this one than you’ve unfortunately had with the Swordfish   🤞

Thanks very much,

The cat has been well warned that Crucifixion can be resurrected as a form of revenge. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Now this looks nice Alistair, mine arrived last week too, not opened it yet .  Will watch with interest.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'm looking forward to this one myself.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Very nice - you are making a jump from WW2 to early jets even more tempting!

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Roger,

It was just something I fancied doing after the kit arrived with my Airfix Club package last week.

I'm taking the opporchancity to get it done.

47 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Thanks,

Adrian "Mr.Slow" MF

Apologies I didn't mean to imply anything. :blush:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Those cockpit components look good,  looks like another sweet Airfix kit.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

They do look rather nice.

The plastic is different from the usual Airfix fair as well.

It seems a little harder and has a sheen that isn't the same as normal.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

It seems a little harder and has a sheen that isn't the same as normal.

Maybe it's the new "moulded in the UK" plastic? I believe I read it's meant to be harder  than the previous plastic.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

This’ll be fun to follow. 👍

Edit to add; interesting about the plastic.  I quite like the softer plastic as I think it’s easier to work with.  But, the trade off is often less crisp detail.  I’m interested in your impressions as you go of this “new” plastic.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

This’ll be fun to follow. 👍

Edit to add; interesting about the plastic.  I quite like the softer plastic as I think it’s easier to work with.  But, the trade off is often less crisp detail.  I’m interested in your impressions as you go of this “new” plastic.

It should be fun.

I have no problems with the softer stuff either.

The new plastic feels more like Eduard plastic just not as dark in colour but if feels similar when sanding too.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Maybe it's the new "moulded in the UK" plastic? I believe I read it's meant to be harder  than the previous plastic.

Regards,

Adrian

This plastic seems to have found its way onto the most recent kits, namely the Buccaneer, Meteor, Anson and Spitzilla; so I don't think it's a UK thing so much as a new change for Airfix. I only have the first of those to compare with in person (along with memories of a brief fondle in Telford!), but personally I think the moulding and surface detail looks a lot sharper than the classic 'light blue grey' chewy stuff that we're all familiar with. So far though, I think re-releases have retained the old stuff, so I guess the mould and sharpness of detail is tied to the material, but that's just speculation on my part. 

Looking forward to seeing what you make of this Alistair. Judging by various accounts of it, this is the best fitting, worst designed, best engineering, most fussy, best detailed, worstestest fitting, kit that Airfix have ever made. Good luck to you! 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Looking forward to seeing what you make of this Alistair. Judging by various accounts of it, this is the best fitting, worst designed, best engineering, most fussy, best detailed, worstestest fitting, kit that Airfix have ever made. Good luck to you! 

Thanks Andy,

That fills me with hope, trepidation, buttock clenching fear and excitement. :door:

Lets see how it goes.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 4

Nice choice, the detail looks pretty reasonable. Nice to see one of the  of the lesser documented air forces depicted on the decal sheet.

I'll tag along.

Re, Mark's comment above on the new soft plastic in the Airfix current kits. I'm building the Sea King Commando HC4 in the Salty Dog GB, the box says released in 2015. Soft and missing detail, mesh grills in decal form, I don't like the current plastic!

Colin

• Thanks 1

Ah, that explains why the F8 version has a separate nose piece, rather than moulded with the rest of the fuselage.

I am struggling with an F8 build, which to be frank I have made a mess of. Have started a WIP thread somewhere here (which I need to finish).

Points to watch out for include the wheel assemblies, which are a bit painful. Not helped by the plastic used as I think it blobs as it cools. Blobs is a scientific term. Honest. The air brakes are also a tight fit, probably due to the same cause.

The pilot is only a scale 3 foot 10 inch. Only use him/her/they if you want to be inclusive.

Take care when when attaching the main wing to the fuselage. After much squinting and umming, I think I got it slightly out of square. I also messed up the tailplane so the poor beast would have no chance of flying in reality.

Remember nose weight!

Apart from that IMO, it is a nice kit that goes together very nicely and even my pigs ear is looking okay from a distance. At certain angles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Nice choice, the detail looks pretty reasonable. Nice to see one of the  of the lesser documented air forces depicted on the decal sheet.

I'll tag along.

Re, Mark's comment above on the new soft plastic in the Airfix current kits. I'm building the Sea King Commando HC4 in the Salty Dog GB, the box says released in 2015. Soft and missing detail, mesh grills in decal form, I don't like the current plastic!

Colin

Thanks Colin,

It is nice to see something different in the way of overseas users but I'm going to be that boring old git and go for the RAF version. (PRU Blue. Can't help myself) :D

28 minutes ago, Andrew Patmore said:

Ah, that explains why the F8 version has a separate nose piece, rather than moulded with the rest of the fuselage.

I am struggling with an F8 build, which to be frank I have made a mess of. Have started a WIP thread somewhere here (which I need to finish).

Points to watch out for include the wheel assemblies, which are a bit painful. Not helped by the plastic used as I think it blobs as it cools. Blobs is a scientific term. Honest. The air brakes are also a tight fit, probably due to the same cause.

The pilot is only a scale 3 foot 10 inch. Only use him/her/they if you want to be inclusive.

Take care when when attaching the main wing to the fuselage. After much squinting and umming, I think I got it slightly out of square. I also messed up the tailplane so the poor beast would have no chance of flying in reality.

Remember nose weight!

Apart from that IMO, it is a nice kit that goes together very nicely and even my pigs ear is looking okay from a distance. At certain angles.

Thanks so much for all that valuable info.

I did think the pilot looked a bit on the short side on the sprue but I wasn't planning on using him anyway.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Ah-ha, in on page one! This looks like a very nice project, Alistair, and some PRU blue is always a bonus - that scheme is very attractive.

I could do with a few jets in my collection: chair pulled up close to the screen so I can watch closely, pint of scrumpy poured and a packet of pork scratchings opened.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AliGauld said:

and this arrived last week

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

mine arrived last week too, not opened it yet

I think I must be missing out on something...... 🤔 FOMO!!!!!

• Haha 3