Mirage 2000-5F EC 1/2 Cigognes - finished, phew!

Hey Gerard,  @Wings unlevel

the paintjob is looking ace!

Had you not mentioned the exhaust can gap, I never would have zoomed in or even noticed it - looks fine to me now. 
The nosecone mishap: It‘s very annoying when you have something nailed, then it breaks off, and after fixing it will never look as good as before. I know. I tried that before as well….

Steam through the remaining decals, I am looking forward to the finished Mirage!

On 27/05/2023 at 19:37, Hook said:

I'd say! Cracking job.

21 hours ago, Sam said:

the paintjob is looking ace!

Thanks Andre, Sam! I think I’ve been looking at this build for too long now, and am only seeing its faults, so I appreciate the positive reinforcement!

21 hours ago, Sam said:

Steam through the remaining decals

So many stencils! 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fair to say this build hasn’t quite run to plan, but I am keen to see it through, warts and all. Hoping to squeeze this in to the gallery by the Sunday night, even though I’m going away for the weekend. But hopefully a few hours Sunday evening should do it.

Since my last update it has been slow going but I finished decaling, sealed them with a gloss coat, applied a Mr Weathering Color wash, applied a matt coat, and then tonight got it up onto its undercarriage.

Weight on wheels

Also since my last update I managed to dislocate my thumb on my left hand playing basketball! Long story short my thumb is in a splint for another two weeks. A very minor injury in the scheme of things but it has slowed me up a little and it does make some aspects of modelling a little more challenging! If things like gear doors and the refuelling probe go on crooked, the thumb will be my excuse for why! 

But nearly there!

• Like 4

• Wings unlevel changed the title to Mirage 2000-5F EC 1/2 Cigognes - finished, phew!
On 10/06/2023 at 10:42, Cookenbacher said:

Sorry to hear about your thumb - hope it heals in no time.

The Mirage looks wonderful.

On 10/06/2023 at 16:41, Biggles87 said:

Ooh! That sound’s painful ( the thumb, that is ) hope you’re back to full dexterity soon.

John

23 hours ago, Sam said:

Basketball seems to be a dangerous sport, better try ice hockey 😎

Thanks Cookie, John, Sam, much appreciated. I was an old man doing young man things! 😄

The thumb being in a splint is mostly a minor inconvenience, but I am going to use it as an excuse for not quite finishing my Mirage to the standard it deserved. I struggle with all the small parts at the end of a build at the best of times, but with one less (working) opposable thumb than normal, I lacked a little finesse in attaching all the last bits and bobs. So lacking in dexterity, and time, my Mirage lacks a few finishing touches, some big (no weapons or tanks) and some small (there is a clear part light intended to fit into the tail which for the life of me I could not work out how it was mean to fit, and I lacked the dexterity to trim/sand/prod to make it fit). Plus, somewhere in my study is the  a nose landing gear strut and door which I have managed to completely mislay.

But, despite all that, I really wanted to honour this GB, and honour the work I had put into this, by finishing it as best I could before the end of the GB tonight. So this is the end result:

Finished-ish

And here it is with my Super E:

Finished-ish

If not the output of Enzo and Patrice, I am still happy with my first double build completion for a GB. And I thank of my fellow Dassault GB participants for that - the enthusiasm, positive energy and support made this a terrific GB. It helped drive my enthusiasm for a second (unplanned) build, and it helped push me along to finish my Mirage, when there were a few times when I was tempted to put is aside.

So thank you to @TEMPESTMK5 and @Sam for being great hosts, @Enzo the Magnificent for leading by example(!) and to everyone else who participated. Let's do it all again next year in the Mirage III/IV STGB, hopefully!

Gerard 

• Like 7

Good afternoon Gerard

I am very pleased to see that despite your thumb you managed to finish this beautiful Mirage 2000 very good job thank you for your builds ...

I really hope that we will be able to have another great STGB next year with Mirage III/V ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

No loads? Yet it was fully loaded during the first days of operation Harmattan over Libya! 

Thanks Eclipse.

I do have the two big tanks and two Micas which I intended to fit, but I will wait until my thumb is out of its splint first to fit them

10 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Thanks Eclipse.

I do have the two big tanks and two Micas which I intended to fit, but I will wait until my thumb is out of its splint first to fit them

Quality first. Great decision Gerard. 

Great group photo of the SuE and the M2000! Great results, congratulations!

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

On 12/06/2023 at 02:04, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I really hope that we will be able to have another great STGB next year with Mirage III/V ..

Me too, Patrice!

On 12/06/2023 at 03:30, Luke1199 said:

shes a stunner!

Cheers Luke, I think she turned out alright in the end, despite my best efforts!

On 12/06/2023 at 03:53, Cookenbacher said:

The Mirage turned out fantastic

Thanks Cookie, although you really showed the way with the Modelsvit Mirages!

22 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A very handsome job on that, the finish & detail is top work

Thanks Steve, some imperfections but the Mirage’s beauty shines through!

5 hours ago, VG 33 said:

This is very nice.

Merci Patrick

• Like 2