Scribing Small Details

dr_gn

All, I must have done this in the past, or compromised on the results, but I’m really struggling to scribe the small (1mm - 2mm) circular panel lines on the nose of my 1:72 Airfix Spitfire. 

I’ve got scribing templates the right size, but obviously a normal scribing tool is too big. I usually use a needle for things like this, but this time I can’t get consistent results on the soft plastic, it leaves a ragged, indistinct mess. Same with the smaller closed-loop shapes around the engine covers.

For the small circles on the forward upper fuselage (fuel/oil fillets I think) I’m now experimenting with drilling holes the right size, and pushing in plastic rod so it’s recessed a tiny amount, in the hope it will retain a wash. Seems a bit wrong though.

I also tried sharpening brass rod to form a “cookie cutter” type tool (similar to the much smaller version I used for defining flush rivets with some success), but it can skid on the surface leading to another mess. It’s also difficult to align correctly.

So does anyone have advice for scribing tiny features, that are too small for a normal Tamiya scribing tool?

Thanks.

On 01/02/2023 at 22:06, dr_gn said:

For the small circles on the forward upper fuselage (fuel/oil fillets I think) I’m now experimenting with drilling holes the right size, and pushing in plastic rod so it’s recessed a tiny amount, in the hope it will retain a wash. Seems a bit wrong though.

Might seem wrong but I'd say it's right, especially for the fuel filler cap which is exposed, but slightly recessed below thecowling surface.

holes1b-jpg.540637

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Might seem wrong but I'd say it's right, especially for the fuel filler cap which is exposed, but slightly recessed below thecowling surface.

holes1b-jpg.540637

Thanks Dave. I actually scribed the large one and recessed the one behind it! My kit doesn’t have the two holes, just one. Anyway, it is what it is! Cheers.

My solution for this problem is a very tough needle into a pin vice. The one I use is not actually a needle, is a tool I found in the beauty products section of a local supermarket, don't know what it would be used for but has a very sharp tip without being flexible at all.

For such small circles in difficult areas I do not use my usual scribing templates as I struggle to keep them in place, rather I cut a circle of the needed diameter onto a langth of self adhesive vynil and use this as template.

An alternative I tried is using a steel punch, that is in essence the same thing you tried with the brass rod with the difference that the punches I have are steel and came from the local hardware store. Of course here the problem is that I'm limited to the sizes available and these do not always include the one I need... Must say that this system works but it's not always great, it's also not always easy to push the punch into the plastic without slipping on parts like a 1/72 Spitfire fuselage.

• Like 1