Tornado F3 Cockpit Question...?

Richard E

Off the top of my head, some of the Modifications introduced for Op Granby and  Op Deny Flight became standard fit, with the rear cockpit having some notable changes.

The most obvious to my mind being the Radar Homing and Warning Receiver (RHWR) Display being plonked on the top of the left hand TV Tabulator (TV TABS) so that it was in the Nav's eyeline-as opposed to being just above his or her left knee on front panel as originally designed.

Also in the back,  two grab handles with Chaff and Flare dispensing switches were introduced circa 1993,  That's all I can think of, and I wasn't around see any changes after 1999. 

Very early aircraft ( F2 and F3 pre 1990) had  different Control Stick tops and the Nav's hand controller was also changed from a little atari style to a massive thrustmaster type at that time. 

Some aircraft had the Link 16 JTIDS system fitted, most visible difference is a control panel in front of the Nav's hand controller, otherwise a blank plate was installed in its place.

If your planned aircraft is one of the  F Mk3(T) it will have a full set of flight controls in the rear cockpit, Throttles, Rudder Pedals and Control column. Resultingly the two TV TABS shifted Starboard to make way for some flight instruments for the instructor Pilot. This also meant that the Nav's hand controller moved from the centre plinth (deleted for the control column) and shifted over to the starboard panel so that the AI-24 Foxhunter Radar could still be operated. 

Rear Cockpit, Grab Handles, Large Hand Controller, JTIDS Panel in front of Hand Controller 

In the above shot, the  Small Rectangular Blank Panel on left hand side of cockpit, below left grab handle,  is where the RHWR Display was before it moved on top of the TV Tabs

Rear Cockpit of a Twin Stick F Mk 3 (T)

Rear Cockpit, note RHWR display on top of left hand TV Tab, and small early style hand controller, this would not be a standard fit. No JTIDS Panel in front of Hand Controller. Just a Blank.

There will be some changes in the Front, but not as prominent as those in the rear. 

If I think of anything else, I'll post. 

Gloria Finis!

Troffa

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3