1/48 Grumman JRF Goose in RCAF service, WW2 - new photos April 09

I'm working on the 1/48 Czech Models JRF Goose as used by the RCAF in WW2, No. 13 Operational Training Squadron based at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia, with many thanks to Carl Vincent and member 'Dogsbody'.

The kit is a short run, low pressure kit released in 2004, major parts in plastic, with interior and detail parts in resin.

As a short run kit it, is a nice challenge, no locating pins, heavy trailing edges, many missing finer details, clubs for propellers, but an interesting aircraft none the less.

Image4

Where I'm heading ...

RCAF Goose 2

RCAF Goose 3

First up was thinning all trailing edges with much scraping, sanding, and rescribing, then because I seem to do things backward, I started with the peripherals, rather than use the inaccurate resin engine with it's huge crankcase, I thought I'd try to correct the plastic engine in the kit. I mount the crankcase on some aluminum tubing, chucked it in my Dremel, and turned it down to a correct size, with the ignition loom in place, and added an oil sump whittled from sprue (ignition harness and pushrods to be added later)...

P1262964

Eleven brass, aluminum, and plastic pieces went into each prop ...

Image2

Image3

The elevators were separated, hinges and trim tab actuator added ...

P1262962

Rudder had a nav light position, trim tab, and rudder control horn added ...

Image10

Wings had the aileron actuator pushrods/control horns added, inaccurate tabs filled, panels rescribed, landing and nav lights added ...

Image5

Then I started on the fuselage, removing the windows in the entry and escape doors, then ...

Image11

and the interior ...

Image6

Image8

Image7

Now it's off to the paint shop for the first round ...

Image12

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 34

• 3 weeks later...

The 'Canada Goose' build continues, fuselage closed, windows installed and masked, canopy installed (what a struggle!) and smaller unique details worked on. Engines and homemade props finished ...

Image14

Image16

Image17

Thanks for looking,

Colin

• Like 25

Fabulous.

We really need a "Wow!" button - "like" just doesn't always do it.

The Grumman Goose has always been a favourite and your build is doing it justice. Making a beautiful silk purse out of a pig's ear comes to mind.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

As I behave like a club footed, left handed Ape with epilepsy as soon as I get close to any delicate details, and as I wish to avoid another round of the 'Modelers Waltz' (2 steps forward, one step back), I thought you be amused by the steps I have to take, while I attempt to bludgeon the landing gear into position!

Image28

• Like 11

I've got some color on the Goose now, the thing to note is that the RCAF Goose (Geese?) had the 'L' shaped pitot, and the camo scalloped down at the nacelles, but the scheme was very close. Some seem to have had black 'anti fouling' bellies, but not all.

Image29

Image3 corrected Image31 Image32 RCAF Goose 3

• Like 10

On 06/03/2023 at 18:22, Tail-Dragon said:

I've got some color on the Goose now, the thing to note is that the RCAF Goose (Geese?) had the 'L' shaped pitot, and the camo scalloped down at the nacelles, but the scheme was very close. Some seem to have had black 'anti fouling' bellies, but not all.

Image29

Image3 corrected Image31 Image32 RCAF Goose 3

Fabulous work! I'd say though that the demarcation line on the nacelles in the photo is lower than you've put it on the model? Interesting photo - entirely civilian apart from the one chap?

Edited by Phoenix44

• 5 weeks later...

After a whole lot of fun with the markings - decals that were wrong, or exploded on the model, or took a horrid set of wrinkles that totally resisted any kind of decal set - I've finally got the markings on. I eventually had to sand off some of the decals, and mask and paint some of the makings. The tail flash and wing roundels in particular, fortunately the underwing serials worked well - go figure!

decals 1

decals 2

decals 3

decals 4

I hadn't given up at all, I'm just really slow!

• Like 8

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Grumman JRF Goose in RCAF service, WW2 - new photos April 04

Excellent! But if one looks closely at the bottom of the floats and the main planing bottom of the fuselage it appears they are black. And the darkness is much darker than any shadows, Also, just forward of the tail wheel in the monochrome photo, it appears that there is a lighter shade around the edge and a darker area that looks to be black. I just thought I would point this out.

In some of the photos of the RCAF Goose's (Geese?) the lower hull appears dark, but not in others. I don't know when this was done, or why (anti-fouling, or sealant?). The early ones, at least, were originally private aircraft, not military ordered, the fit, finish and configuration differs on every one. Grumman Goose 941 was flown by No. 13 Operational Training Squadron based at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia. Prior to military service the aircraft was on the Canadian civil aircraft registry as CF-BQE.  It also at one time carried the code AN*J.  If I can get some definitive info on the hull coloring, I may refinish the belly and floats, but if (as I suspect) that it was done part way through the service life, I may leave it as is. (It's not even clear if the darker color is black, or something else)

• Like 2

Flat coat and light weathering completed, now all that's left is the radio antenna and the nav lights.

finished 1 finished 3

finished 4

finished 5

As I suspected, none of my cabin interior is visible, oh well ...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to 1/48 Grumman JRF Goose in RCAF service, WW2 - new photos April 09

Excellent work! :clap2:

While it very much requires the non-trivial modelling effort you've demonstrated here, it builds up quite nicely.

And it's a Grumman aircraft, which is all the better.