1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F/LIM-5 & Shenyang J-5 "Fresco-C" by AMMO by Mig - released

Homebee

AMMO by Mig is to release new tool 1/48th Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F "Fresco-C" kits.

Kinetic team being quoted as the subcontractor for this kit design and production.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/MigJimenez/posts/pfbid08Ri6oaP3bZ4yWnFjFyKY5T2P5jm1JX3QgBDB9gEgqFLcxCgoiiANB6hjhSKiS3srl?locale=fr_FR

MiG-17F.png

328607385-957972118503221-35794674676276

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 13

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan Gurevitch MiG-17F "Fresco-C" by AMMO by Mig/Kinetic - in project
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F "Fresco-C" by AMMO by Mig - box art

Source: https://www.facebook.com/mig.jimenez.56/posts/pfbid037kcbAvnQmhuZsxSg6CNhPYUzUrKEf1iDnCvYJJReLgvFXqMKqePSPB3zwe7eWrPul

Four boxings

- ref. A.MIG-8508 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F/LIM-5  "Fresco-C" - URSS, GDR

- ref. A.MIG-8509 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F/LIM-5 "Fresco-C" - Poland, Cuba, Angola

- ref. A.MIG-8510 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F/ Shenyang J-5 "Fresco-C" - Vietnam, China, North Korea

- ref. A.MIG-8511 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F "Fresco-C" - Egypt, Syria

Finally I am proud to announce our own totally new MiG 17 kit in 1/48. ( NO REBRANDED) New design and several versions including even the Cuban ones. One of my favorite jets so far. This is the reason of my own name in fact!!!!

More info coming soon but it will be available very very soon.

Kit already produced.

Which one will be your choice?

Mine…. Cuban.

329263725-904515377416171-17256171877233

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 11

There were some subtleties, about the wing in particular, that Airfix missed with their 1/72 kit. I’ll be looking to see if Ammo gets these things correct in their larger scale version.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F/LIM-5 & Shenyang J-5 "Fresco-C" by AMMO by Mig - box art - release in 2023
7 hours ago, Corey in Colorado said:

Will Ammo by Mig be including some 23 and 37mm ammo for their Mig?  Or will the Mig ammo by Mig Ammo have to be purchased separately? 

No, you have to buy ommA by giM and load it using a mirror.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting development...

A new Spanish  kit maker doing a long overdue MiG-17 series? On 1/48

Really?

They ( With Kinetic) cooperated before on some Spanish subjects, like a Starfighter and Harrier boxing.. 

On 2/10/2023 at 1:37 PM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Does the Lim-5 include the parabrake housing?The drawing is missing it.The old Smer/Airfix kit does have it.

The boxart is correct as the Lim-5 never had a parabrake housing (exception is the Lim-5M which has a housing on the lower rear fuselage and other extensive modifications on the wings and landing gear). It was the Lim-6bis which introduced the parabrake housing on the tail.

Cheers

Markus

1 hour ago, JFM148 said:

Does anybody knows if Kinetic was involved in the design/production of the plastic?  Thanks in advance for your answers.

It could be, like their 104 or Harrier, but I think they also work with Takom and Meng?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JFM148 said:

Does anybody knows if Kinetic was involved in the design/production of the plastic?  Thanks in advance for your answers.

Yes. Kinetic is a set of external and internal resources necessary to produce a kit. It's not an autonomous kit manufacturer: Kinetic doesn't decide what to release or manage the distribution once boxes are produced, LuckyModel does. AMMO Mig partnered with LuckyModel some time ago. It appears that AMMO asked LuckyModel "Could you develop a kit for us ?" and there it is.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

Yes. Kinetic is a set of external and internal resources necessary to produce a kit. It's not an autonomous kit manufacturer: Kinetic doesn't decide what to release or manage the distribution once boxes are produced, LuckyModel does. AMMO Mig partnered with LuckyModel some time ago. It appears that AMMO asked LuckyModel "Could you develop a kit for us ?" and there it is.

Interesting!

Let's hope for the best!

Gold standard minimum!

• 1 month later...

And I'm just afraid that "my" 1023 from the Attack Regiment in Babimost will again (as in the Czech AZ kit) get a three-colour camouflage.

And if such a version is signed by a Spanish giant specializing in modeling paints, no one will hear my call from the Krakow museum, where this plane has been STILL in its original colours for 30 years (it is not known how much longer it will last - the other Lims from this regiment have already been repainted in the museum).

There are two completely different greens, so the camouflage has a four-colour uppersurfaces.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

And I'm just afraid that "my" 1023 from the Attack Regiment in Babimost will again (as in the Czech AZ kit) get a three-colour camouflage.

And if such a version is signed by a Spanish giant specializing in modeling paints, no one will hear my call from the Krakow museum, where this plane has been STILL in its original colours for 30 years (it is not known how much longer it will last - the other Lims from this regiment have already been repainted in the museum).

There are two completely different greens, so the camouflage has a four-colour uppersurfaces.

Cheers

Michael

Any photos you could share for clarification? Please? 😀

• Like 1

The only photo from 10-20 years ago I attached in that previous post. The colours fade with each year and today the difference between the dark green near the cockpit (more bluish, something like the Italian Verde Bottiglia) and the lighter one in front of the tail (grassy, more yellow-olive) is becoming less and less visible. There is a current photo on the Museum's website - in a few years no one will notice the difference.

http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/zbiory_sz.php?ido=154&w=p

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I'd be interested in a Nile camouflage set. Sage, olive green-brown, sand and pale grey-blue will do. 

I'm guessing Syrian camo will be similar but without the sage green.

The colours are all over the place in photos and artworks so what it really looked like fifty years ago requires artistic licence, not counting the rain, bleach or weathering factors. 

20 hours ago, KRK4m said:

The only photo from 10-20 years ago I attached in that previous post. The colours fade with each year and today the difference between the dark green near the cockpit (more bluish, something like the Italian Verde Bottiglia) and the lighter one in front of the tail (grassy, more yellow-olive) is becoming less and less visible.

This one you mean then, no?

Thanks!

Indeed, hard to distinguish!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F/LIM-5 & Shenyang J-5 "Fresco-C" by AMMO by Mig - box art+sprues+decals - release in 2023

Nice layout at first sight!

I am kind of missing nation specific load outs...

Egypt e.g. used wing mounted Sakr rockets and fuselage mounted bombs...

Seems every manufacturer provides you with the same stuff ( large wing pylons and rocket pods) in this respect :(

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mikoyan Gurevich MiG-17F/LIM-5 & Shenyang J-5 "Fresco-C" by AMMO by Mig - box art+sprues+decals - release May-June 2023

Tony,

Regarding Egyptian and Syrian colours, I cannot but recommend the ARAB MIGs series of books, Tom Cooper and David Nicolle, Harpia publishing. Camouflaged Mig-17s are very well covered by volumes 5 and 6, October war part 1 and 2. To a slightly lesser extent, also volume 4, covering the Attrition war.

Exact shades of colours are seldom mentioned, except where known.

However, I have a very strong feeling that the authors are modelers. The care and way with which they have made and commented the colour profiles, indicates that they have at least been made with the modeller in mind. They also show details about ordnance carried.

As an aside, they are marvelous historical books.

/Tomas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Tony,

Regarding Egyptian and Syrian colours, I cannot but recommend the ARAB MIGs series of books, Tom Cooper and David Nicolle, Harpia publishing. Camouflaged Mig-17s are very well covered by volumes 5 and 6, October war part 1 and 2. To a slightly lesser extent, also volume 4, covering the Attrition war.

Exact shades of colours are seldom mentioned, except where known.

However, I have a very strong feeling that the authors are modelers. The care and way with which they have made and commented the colour profiles, indicates that they have at least been made with the modeller in mind. They also show details about ordnance carried.

As an aside, they are marvelous historical books.

/Tomas

Thanks Tomas. I was thinking of buying those same 2-3 books in the Arab MiGs series, as I have/will have several Ammo MiG-17Fs and Eduard -21s of various marks on the go almost concurrently, and also have a great interest in the Yom Kippur conflict.

Will ultimately go with what looks right using sprayed matt Humbrol polyurethanes (but am intrigued by the Ammo by Mig range of acrylics and need to learn how to spray these).  

Looking forward to this kit. The Trumpeter 1/32 Fresco and Fishbeds are such complete pigs that I'm down-scaling this summer back to 1/48 to enjoy model-making once more.   

Cheers

Tony

P.s. just bought Volumes 5 & 6 of Arab MiGs. Thanks for reminding me about them

Edited by tony.t
Bought the books, but no T-shirt