Tamiya 1/12 Williams Renault FW14B

MRMRL

Hi All

So this is a bit of a condensed WIP as I've already built this (it was a 2022 project), but I've got photos from construction that I think are good to share and too numerous to fairly put in a RFI post. So I'll add a separate RFI in the next day or two with completed photos on it. I loved building this kit, partly as it's totally different to anything else I've built and some of the details were just fun (like the tubing). I did make the mistake of following the instructions call out for the blue paint, which was way too light, as you'll see in a few of the earlier pictures, but then changed it to a better colour using the mk1 eyeball to choose it, looks good enough completed even if it's not 100% correct.

Engine first:JnhU9e5JVR_ppgg9CdKLCRjrEPGIhsTAYFXkGIk-

aNhDahvsZvKDsvyE9rt1O6fgj3CESz4qHNCOuwyP

JnhU9e5JVR_ppgg9CdKLCRjrEPGIhsTAYFXkGIk-

Then cockpit and seat, the seat belts were a bit of a pain, they looked great, but kept coming apart later:

6CmeoNUJh5ZdIw_f1rzbfZEHd4rwxQNvBA0Wh87D

djpebLSb13Er0xD2-F85UxNLHVeoZrLeizThOOeK

6BwLoBWYAUrg-SnYS2jOSb4b9ruyOYCKGCGuKgQB

Then all the other interior details that will get covered up later (you can see the colour change here)

LZt_dXcPE032gdUSTSEm6H5CaY78X0I_A4Ksqa_V

l9uWYMFgMX4xJ5Kzz8cx0i-5w0I7dlqT-htUXc7m

61vCkbjQx8MPo1bVbZng34rfbXnGSnOBMV-bCxHX

HH2vgGuT-z80mHU8xtNK1hAvlLyEGxUCTad4E4ET

Vu2Gz6G164P1bYlyh-g0nmTwcaxLJ75zD1pRNzf5

Then it all starts coming together

gNfsbyoYCwjquc-Q1XG4ZRLssznT2Xgx5tquVip5

Dk4HvDuTBrGZcVwfs3N5YnUIkUnNGNmgbhClXq19

tV7EErVxf6GWhjphAlSRUzXtaVbv4RUzbd9xmh_8

1Lgwv3SzCxCaQ-QjsPziKdjkf8kQpaRYbwiJMVwc

And then decals staryMYBzz4B-DQRV9ij7WXenamOiG-MEqpIJCqSj2vCt going on - I screwed up the small "RENAULT" decal on the nose and never 100% recovered it :( 

mm3yXnQEbvrOEoxiPX-zipsPY9_aysdVtofDwUWk

3uGbj0M5HUIpJ2ffc8we8V9z_ZMEqHFQqIWUzTZT

yMYBzz4B-DQRV9ij7WXenamOiG-MEqpIJCqSj2vC

And then it's complete

E8VZXlqU3uIPsR3Vb0bLt1R5qZ1ZwTiUvXxWaTk9

So a whirlwind build log, almost faster than an F1 pit stop, sorry I didn't do it at the time. I'll post the corresponding RFI later today or tomorrow if I can. Thanks for dropping by :) 

• Like 11

Really good results there . FW14B is my favourite F1 car , from a period when F1 cars looked just right and sounded the best . The packaging of the active ride systems and ECU’ s show how advanced this car was . The driver wasn’t half bad either ! 
Gary .

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Really good results there . FW14B is my favourite F1 car , from a period when F1 cars looked just right and sounded the best . The packaging of the active ride systems and ECU’ s show how advanced this car was . The driver wasn’t half bad either ! 
Gary .

Hi Gary, thanks. It's my favourite as well, alongside Senna's McLaren, which I have waiting a build at some point. I was 13 when Mansell won his title, and my main memory of F1 back then was how intense the actual racing could get, the aerodynamic packages of the cars allowed them to go round each other, even in tight corners, no kers or DRS needed back then, sure some cars were better than others, but a good driver in a poor car could beat a poor driver in a good car.

Matt

Edited by MRMRL
(not)predictive text
  • Like 1