Opel Blitzbus "Straßenzepp Essen" used at the Berlin Olympics (Roden 1/72)

Hi, this is my first time posting in the non-military vehicles RFI forum as I am, characteristically, an aircraft modeller. But I simply could not pass up the opportunity to make this spectacular bus kit by the Ukrainian company Roden. The "Straßenzepp Essen" was a small series of luxury truck bodies (about 10 vehicles) produced by the workshop of the Ludewig Brothers in Essen. It was used for inter-city travel, day trips, and for transporting athletes and guests at the Berlin Olympics in 1936. The propaganda value of such elegant art deco styled buses with streamlined hoods and aerodynamic fins helped to announce the rapidly developing German auto industry to the rest of the world. Interestingly, not even these artfully designed buses were able to escape service in WWII. At least one was provided to the Luftwaffe for personnel transport duties.

Of note, these buses had seats placed at 45 degrees to the window. So you didn't need to twist your neck to look out those big panoramic windows. A feature we've lost in the name of economy...

312.png?width=752&height=504

As for the kit, it was difficult to assemble due to the body being moulded in separate roof, sides, and rear panel sections. It took quite a bit of filler and sanding to get some semblance of smoothness, and I think I did a decent job with this for such a small model. The diorama base is the Flyhawk French Streetscape kit. The tree and hanging sign are scratchbuilt.

So without further ado, please enjoy the pictures! I should stop by this corner of the forum more often. :winkgrin:

gbdM9Ht.jpg

4uGQwmf.jpg

8PwstL6.jpg

mCF5U0T.jpg

E9jEAbl.jpg

Ub9wRUz.jpg

UkRgRN0.jpg

yMBpdF5.jpg

4g7D5dr.jpg

Edited by Pyradus
  • Like 21

• NMLeonov changed the title to Opel Blitzbus "Straßenzepp Essen" used at the Berlin Olympics (Roden 1/72)
On 2/1/2023 at 1:14 AM, Vesa Jussila said:

You have built this really nicely and difficult to believe that it's so small scale. I must say design is stylish. 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:09 PM, Spiny said:

Very well done, especially at such a small scale. Fits very nicely with the scenery too.

On 2/1/2023 at 1:24 PM, Stef N. said:

Lovely looking model, very well done with a special mention to the unusual and splendid radiator/bonnet.👏👍

On 2/2/2023 at 1:12 AM, John_W said:

Very nice build. The soldier in the diorama gives a subtle hint of things to come to an innocent everyday scene.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:14 AM, JeroenS said:

Very nice build, and well presented!

6 hours ago, Toryu said:

I had to scroll back to check the scale and it surprised me! Great work on the bus, people and sidewalk scenery!

Many thanks for your kind comments! The 1930s represent my favorite era in automobile design and I think I will be making more like this. As 1/72 is my usual scale for aircraft, I enjoy being able to display this side-by-side with my other models. Happy modelling to you all!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...