The Groupbuilds that broke Britmodeller

You may be aware that Britmodeller has some minor restrictions when it comes to polls.  The forum software allows three questions in a poll with a maximum of twenty-five options.  So, allowing for a "none of the above" option in each question, that gives us a total of 72 entries which can be held in a poll.  Any more than this and we need to consider other options such as mutiple polls for different subcategories.  However, it can be quite difficult predicting how many gallery entries a groupbuild will generate.

I thought that groupbuilds that broke the forum were a relatively recent phenomenon, but it seems that I was wrong.   The first one was in 2014.  Then we had one per year until 2020 when we had seven.  I wonder if that was a function of the pandemic lockdowns.

Here is a list of them...   :) 

GB                                               Type             Start Date                             Gallery

Less Than A Tenner I                    GB               Sat, 1 Feb 14                        108

Battle of Britain GB III                  GB               Fri, 10 Jul 15                           99

MTO GB I                                     GB               Sat, 20 Aug 16                        92

Matchbox Classic II                    CGB              Sat, 7 Oct 17                           93

Airfix: The Golden Years             CGB              Sat, 2 Jun 18                         118

FROG Squad GB                         GB                Sat, 1 Jun 19                         118

Nordic 1                                     GB                Sat, 18 Jan 20                       108

In The Navy GB                          GB                Sat, 15 Feb 20                       111

Spitfire / Seafire STGB              STGB             Sat, 11 Apr 20                        110

A Kit You Built As A Kid             GB                Sat, 25 Apr 20                          93

Battle of Britain GB IV               GB                Fri, 10 Jul 20                           102

Heller:  Classic GB                     GB                Sat, 3 Oct 20                           155

Interceptors                              GB                Sat, 14 Nov 20                        114

Anzac GB                                   GB                Sat, 23 Jan 21                          82

Less Than A Tenner II                GB                Sat, 15 May 21                         84

Matchbox Classic III                 CGB              Sat, 8 Jan 22                           227

Prototypes and Racers             GB                Sat, 24 Sep 22                        103

• Like 12

Just now, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I take no responsibility for the first three as they were before my time.  :) 

So you're saying if I were to go back and sift through those GBs I wouldn't find any Enzo builds?  Suspect.  :hmmm:

But I'll let you slide...for now.

4 minutes ago, helios16v said:

So you're saying if I were to go back and sift through those GBs I wouldn't find any Enzo builds?  Suspect.  :hmmm:

Builds?  Yes.    But they were before my time as Group Build Moderator and urging everyone to build 'em all!  :) 

And you don't wanna go back and sift through all those GBs.  I'm in the process of doing it and I can tell you it's a long job!   Since 4 Jan 2014 there have been 181 completed groupbuilds with 6762 gallery entries. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Since 4 Jan 2014 there have been 181 completed groupbuilds with 6762 gallery entries. 

:o

And to think I've probably been here for most of it.....

To tell the truth, the GB area is the main area of BM that keeps me coming back.  I get more of a sense of community here than a lot of the site (I'll browse on occasion, but rarely post)...never mind other sites.  I've got one other small modeling website I frequent, that's about it with my limited time.  I like it here, you must be doing something right.  :cheers:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is awesome and I am genuinely proud to say I was in five of those top six GBs!

GBs are awesome and the BM GBs are literally the only place I do this hobby online (well apart from browsing multiple online shops, but I consider that "preparing" not "doing".

Viva la Group Build! 

• Like 4

Interesting list @Enzo the Magnificent. I've just gone thru that list of GBs,  I contributed to all of them, blame me.

Less Than A Tenner I                    2014           Buccaneer

Battle of Britain GB III                  2015            Mackenzie's Knock, and Defiant

MTO GB I                                       2016             He-111

Matchbox Classic II                     2017             Meteor, and Jaguar

Airfix: The Golden Years             2018            Avenger

FROG Squad GB                           2019             Javelin, Sea Vixen and Ligntning

Nordic 1                                        2020              Gripen

In The Navy GB                            2020              Helldiver, HelldiverU BoatVigilanteAEW Avenger

Spitfire / Seafire STGB               2020               AirfixAcademy, Italeri, AeroTeam

A Kit You Built As A Kid             2020               Tornado, DauntlessSpitmunk

Battle of Britain GB IV                2020               Academy 109, the one that got away

Heller:  Classic GB                     2020                Canary Trojan

Interceptors                                2020                 EagleLightning, Revell Me 262HB Me262Papagei StaffelBoforsRevell 262 Nightfighter,

Airfix Fw190, Revell Ta152

Anzac GB                                     2021                Strikemaster and Wellington

Less Than A Tenner II                2021                Cutlass

Matchbox Classic III                  2022                Swordfish

Prototypes and Racers              2022                Hawk, GT40

Each of them great fun. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Interesting list @Enzo the Magnificent. I've just gone thru that list of GBs,  I contributed to all of them, blame me.

Hero!  🦸 

To be honest, Im not surprised.  :thumbsup: 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to see I caused some of the chaos!  :D

No better feeling than to break the GB Poll software! :thumbsup:

I reckon the Matchbox III GB was a cunning plan by those with huge stashes of Matchbox models to increase thew value of the stash by getting everyone else to build there's! Now there is a growing shortage of Matchbox models thus increasing the valve of their stash! Matchbox Hawker Hunters for over $100 USD!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

This certainly proves the popularity of 'classic' kits, and they can usually be built up pretty quickly, too.  I think the GB formula encourages people to get these out on the bench, when in normal times they might be overlooked from something more accurate and impressive.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 03/03/2023 at 23:47, trickyrich said:

I reckon the Matchbox III GB was a cunning plan by those with huge stashes of Matchbox models to increase thew value of the stash by getting everyone else to build there's! Now there is a growing shortage of Matchbox models thus increasing the valve of their stash! Matchbox Hawker Hunters for over $100 USD!!!

Bugger Dave @Rabbit Leader looks like we've been rumbled ! :blush:

On 01/09/2023 at 09:02, Grandboof said:

That's what happens when someone says "Build them all"

Martin H

Who would that be then :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's interesting to note that the 4 group builds with the highest number of finished models were all manufacturer specific. Matchbox, Frog, Heller (!) and Airfix. 

So where are the Tamiya, Hasegawa, Monogram and Revell Group builds?

4 minutes ago, Colin W said:

So where are the Tamiya, Hasegawa, Monogram and Revell Group builds?

Tamiya and Hasegawa were combined into this year's Big In Japan GB.  Monogram and Revell were combined last year.

On 9/6/2023 at 6:45 AM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Tamiya and Hasegawa were combined into this year's Big In Japan GB.  Monogram and Revell were combined last year.

That Big in Japan GB was awesome. I wish I'd had more time to build stuff for it. The Heller and MB were great too. 

This kind of big diverse GB is so much fun.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Not really, that link leads to a password protected site.  It shouldn't be assumed that everone has access to those types of sites.

Mike

The password protection is for whoever is creating the forms, the actual form created can be published for anyone to access.