1/35 Land Rover '88' short wheel base - 3 versions - AK Interactive

fittedkitchens

I'm really no expert on these but knew from speaking to Fred Tooke of IPMS North Somerset at Telford that there were no 1/35 kits of SWB Land Rovers so when would the Mk IIa date from please?  My Dad mainly drove Jeeps in Egypt in the early 1950's but in at least 2 pictures he and his fellow RM's are driving a Land Rover with a trailer. I might like to build that if this kit is appropriate. Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neilh said:

I'm really no expert on these but knew from speaking to Fred Tooke of IPMS North Somerset at Telford that there were no 1/35 kits of SWB Land Rovers so when would the Mk IIa date from please?  My Dad mainly drove Jeeps in Egypt in the early 1950's but in at least 2 pictures he and his fellow RM's are driving a Land Rover with a trailer. I might like to build that if this kit is appropriate. Thanks.

There are 1/35 scale swb land rovers Available however they are resin not plastic kit wise ..

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Series II came along in the late 1950s, Series IIa from 1961.  Early 1950s would be a Series I.

too early for my Dads then.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

@neilh Airfix have just released a Series I LWB, but in smaller 1:43 scale.

Hi James,

Yes I spotted that one on " workbench". Certainly an option to look at. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 14:15, neilh said:

The series 2a Swb was made from 1962-1972 I believe. The series 3 came out in 1972, however there were various incarnations of the 2a. General/transitional/late. On the general the headlights were on the central grill on transitional they moved to the wings and on late they were recessed into the wings like the series 3. As production of 2a finished and 3 began there were various discrepancies in models due I guess to stock being used up so late 2a’s often had series 3 parts fitted such as suspension, alternators, wiper motors etc. Later series 2a had a thicker bonnet, early ones had a thinner one more like the series 1. Series 1 were built from 1948-58 followed by series 2 58-61. The 88 is size of the rear area. Series 1 generally had a steeper angle windscreen and came in shorter sizes originally 80” 81”, 86” then 88” like the series 2/2a. Series 2 and 3 came in 88 and 109. Before the newer defender which was 90, 110 and 130. I think it’s likely your father was driving a series 1 but hope my descriptions help you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Military LRs had their own mk.designations, like Rover 8, they didn’t exactly follow the civilian series, though in practice they were very close, for obvious practical reasons in production.  There’s a whole book on this subject, literally.

”Series” is used in LR-speak to denote leaf-spring types vs the later coil suspension, not necessarily actually a Series if military.  Just to confuse things there were some military civilian Series!  These were for less militaristic purposes.
The thick or thin bonnets (hood to US) was a “luxury” feature.  I think any thin bonnet could have the wheel mount fitted but there were two type of thick bonnet, with or without spare wheel recess.

• Like 1