Finally finished, Tamiya P-51B

There was a lot hiccups along the way with this one. It started off as "Berlin Express" and ended up this. Lots of lost and broken pieces along the way. Several sets of decals, exhausts, landing gear and landing light lenses later, I'm finally calling it done. I've spent enough in basic aftermarket stuff to buy three of these kits. Half I didn't use or threw out. In the end I used AMG Decals, Ultracast seat, Quickboost exhaust and Eduard's wheels. I scratch built the gun tubes and guns. The landing light is the Tamiya part glued in with not yet cured white glue. It doesn't fit well. It's a placeholder until I can scratch build a better lens.

Here it is number one for 2023

20230131_124022

20230131_124156

20230131_124353

20230131_124059

20230131_124317

20230131_124413

Edited by Mycapt65
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 1

That's a super finish and a really interesting scheme. Glad you got it over the line to show off to us, sounds like quite the slog in the end. Is that the 1/48 or 1/32 kit, I can't quite judge the scale on the mats. Great either way, a nudge for me to get mine built sometime 😃

I could have given you a home for the kit component on the landing light cover, as my version of this model I've just finished was missing it! 🤣 I scratch built one in the end (ie. cobbled one together from a piece of clear flexible packaging plastic!)

Nice job on it, far better level of finish than my effort.

3 hours ago, robstopper said:

I could have given you a home for the kit component on the landing light cover, as my version of this model I've just finished was missing it! 🤣 I scratch built one in the end (ie. cobbled one together from a piece of clear flexible packaging plastic!)

Nice job on it, far better level of finish than my effort.

I lost the original lens to the carpet monster. Made two others out of thin heat form packaging and lost them in the carpet on final shaping. Tried extra lenses from my Accurate Miniatures Mustangs as well as an ICM copy someone was nice enough to send me. Only the ICM was close but was damaged in the mail. Eventually I contacted Tamiya's American website and they sent me a new lens in a few days. I should have contacted them first but I felt guilty for loosing it. 

I had similar problems finding proper exhaust after I damaged the kit exhaust drilling them out.. 

And similar problems with aftermarket metal landing gear trying to replace kit plastic that was damaged by a mineral spirits wash. The metal gear was bent and didn't fit. Threw those away and bought a loose sprue from ebay. 

I spent way too much money and time fixing boo boos. This was a long slog. Most of which was self inflicted 

Be well 

Ron