Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 - Take 2 ++ FINISHED ++

nimrod54

Back in 2020 I started this 1/48 Hobby Craft boxing of the Hawker Sea Fury for the In the Navy GB. I had also planned to use a Flightpath Sea Fury set that I had bought several years before to add more details to the cockpit and other areas. Anyway time got away from me and the project stalled and has languished in a drawer since then. But having just finished this pair of builds for another Group Build, I find that I have a gap in the programme and have decided to see if I can get this one finished.

52657375633_da7dbd1fee_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52630280337_3af61ddb34_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here is a photo taken today of how I had left things back in 2020 along with a link to the previous work.

52661261204_91c62f0029_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and the remaining details - only some of these will be used for this build.

52661422140_52f6c4bb1c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 6

The cockpit painting and assembly is finished and the completed sub-assembly has now been fixed in place to one side of the fuselage, I still have to add a reflector glass to the gun sight but I will leave that until later in the build so that it doesn't get knocked off - I just hope that the headrest survives the next few stages, :fingerscrossed: Time to close up the fuselage now though.

52666961754_d49af73c57_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52666669761_60a70cfe51_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

As the build progresses towards wing assembly there are some big decisions to be taken regarding their configuration. Should I go with wings extended, weapons bays and flaps open, or wings folded with inner and middle flaps partially open (Flightpath's instructions suggest a scale 101.5mm), or should I go with one wing folded and the opposite side extended with that wings weapons and flaps open. Suggestions are welcome.

Before I start hacking things up though, the undercarriage bay has been fitted and I also have drilled two 4.5mm holes in the lower wing half for the landing/signal lights as per the instructions. As can be seen, some marking up for removal of parts is also underway.

52667104700_24a54d47a4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52667104725_ab93e8b032_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 5

Hi John,

I must have been slacking, as it is the first time I bump into one of your posts for a long time.

I hope you , Caron and the Black Beauty are all fine.

I love the two builds you made for other GBs. Really stunning.

The Sea Fury will be of the same vein, no doubt.

All the best

JR

• Like 1

Nice to hear from you Jean, we are both fine, and Black Beauty, having had her last treat of the day a couple of hours ago, is curled up and quiet for now. Hope that you and Karen are keeping well.

We have had a few issues with my mums health this year but she seems to be doing OK now.

Glad you like the recent completions, they were both made for the PRRRS Mega GB, the Benz 1886 Patent Motorwagen accompanied with the figures was a fun packed build to do and made a pleasant change from aircraft.

The Sea Fury's fuselage has been glued up tonight, so now it's on with what I think will be the most challenging part of this build - cutting up the wings and replacing the plastic with folded etch and white metal parts. I have everything crossed for that.

Take Care

John

• Like 1

I glued up the fuselage halves last night and this was left overnight to set up.

52668872928_0b42baa68e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This morning it was time to have a look at plans for the wings and I decided that a wing folded with the opposite one extended would add some interest, this would also give me the option of opening up the cannon/ammo bays if the etch folding went OK. To that end I chose to fold the port wing, leaving the starboard side open and it was time to start the first chopping up of the bits, here is what I had at the end of my first session.

52668659264_d8859f4ed5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Now its time to go and bend some of the etch into shape before I start making the other cuts, that's all for now.

John

• Like 7

John,

impressive. Without a net, as always?

Enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jean said:

John,

impressive. Without a net, as always?

Enjoy!

JR

:lol: Yes Jean, all without a safety net and what is even more impressive is that I still have all of my fingers. 

John

• Haha 2

A bit more done since the last update. The port wing parts have had the inserts for the wing fold glued in place, they need to have holes opened up for the white metal folding parts along with the addition of a few etch details. I have also removed the aileron so that I can re-attach it in the correct position for a folded wing. 

52676803351_dc0f298bda_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

On the starboard wing, I opened up the cannon and ammo bays, the etch parts have been folded and the initial test fit showed that some of the lower wing plastic would need thinning in those areas to achieve a flush fit with the upper surface. A small amount of scraping has achieved a satisfactory result, but I will fix those parts into the top wing before I glue the upper and lower sections together so that I can adjust the fit as needed. There are cannon breach parts along with ammo boxes or a couple of structural webs to fix in their respective bays once I am satisfied with the way things are set up.

52676803431_7bfc8b4376_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

More again soon.

John

• Like 5

The wing work is progressing and another session should see that finished. I have opened up the flap bays on the starboard side and the etch flaps have been assembled, the underwing light was glued in place then I checked the final fit of the added parts, making adjustments where necessary, before gluing the upper and lower halves together.

52683537687_d1e309c07c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52683537367_cc2e475b20_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Over on the port side, I drilled out the locations for the white metal fold/support parts before fixing those to the inner wing, that was followed by a dry fit of the sub assemblies and a further check of the wing to fuselage fit. I've decided not to open the flap bays on this side in the end, my understanding is that the outer flap would have been closed with the wing folded and that the two inner sections would only be slightly open so little would be seen of any added interior detail work.

I still have the etch details to add to the wing fold and there are some white metal blisters for the wing roots and undersides to finish the wing assembly work. 

52684478620_4bd80a1c1e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52684551943_e3ff910902_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52684055281_2b2e2a5790_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 6

There's not too much change from my earlier post on the face of it, but the wings have been glued on, all of the joints have been filled where needed, sanded and polished, and the engine, rudder and port aileron have been fixed in place, I have also attached the blisters to the underside of the wing. There's a small amount of rescribing to do and I still have to sort out the root blisters and parts like the tailhook and tailplanes have to be attached.

The Flightpath set comes with parts for the RATOG pack and includes the bracketry for its attachment to the underside, I am trying to ascertain if the attachment points would be fitted regardless of the pack being carried or not, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

52691753244_a546936e79_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52691974383_a2746f7013_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 4

I have completed the rescribing work, added the undercarriage, tailhook and fuel pump blisters to the underside and the blisters to the wing roots. I realise that adding the undercarriage now will leave me with a tricky masking job later but I thought that it would be better to get those parts glued in place making it easier for me when it comes to the priming stage - the resin spinner has been pushed into the nose in preparation for that stage too

52698560480_ec2ab318f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52697625642_2093ce3c41_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

There are a few small jobs to sort before priming though. It was a late decision to do something with the wing nav lights and I have removed the grey plastic from the area, replacing that with sections of clear sprue. I have reshaped and polished the port light but still have to tackle the starboard side. I also have a set of Master turned brass parts for the pitot and cannon barrel muzzles which will mean some adjustments to the kit parts to get them to fit. 

52698141296_c369793935_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

52698141391_b334525379_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Almost ready for the painting now.

Cheers.

John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Another couple of photos of progress so far. I have painted up the white areas in prep for the Korean theatre bands, these areas have been masked off and more grey primer applied just to be sure that I get an even tone once I start applying the Sky to the underside and sides.

52718234914_154aaaa679_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52718398585_18a2fb22d3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 6

The paint arrived during the week and I managed to get the Sky on the lower surfaces on Friday, I hope to get things masked up in readiness for the Extra Dark Sea Grey later. There is still plenty to do to try and get this over the line but it shouldn't be too far off by next weekend.

52727972985_7b876a7e10_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52727034517_4c839f63e4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

I started to mask up for the EDSG paint last night and finished that off this morning, then after lunch I was able to take advantage of a break in the weather to get the grey on - it was bloomin' chilly though. :penguin::cold::penguin:

52729472237_2b24033419_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52729472017_9b49240ee6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 1

And here she is after her unmasking earlier today, a bit more detail painting with chromate yellow around the wing folds and opened cannon/ammunition bays, along with some black stripes for those white areas, and she should be ready for decals.

52732444484_887de7e40d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.

John.

• Like 3

I've spent the past few days painting/adding some of the details along with the wing fold area and the stripes, I completed the last of the stripes earlier this evening and have called it a day. There are still a few details like covers and the outboard flap of the Stbd. wing that need some further painting, but I should be able to push on with the decals over the next week now.

52743458351_3ea0aee788_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52743873675_5e18debfb6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52743458261_90f7254f15_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 4

I didn't make as much progress as I had expected to over the last week, but all of the main decals are now in place and I have made a start on adding the stencil data. My subject of choice is Sea Fury FB.11 VX730 85 (RAN) Squadron HMAS Sydney, Korea 1952.

52759562397_c1b3cccfac_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52760351899_87b1658d8a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52760103906_7baa59b0ef_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress to see on this one over the previous update, the stencils are on and everything has been sealed in with a couple of coats of a satin varnish. I have also repainted the spinner with two of layers of red as per the AWM's example of VX730, which is quite an interesting story in itself see here for more on this, and I have also drilled and pinned the drop tanks and these are ready for fixing in place along with undercarriage doors, prop blades and all of the other miscellaneous bits to finish this one off.

52779257834_2b993af562_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52779422385_9b8cb956dc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52779482028_42a2020176_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Roberto said:

Great work 👍

16 hours ago, Thom216 said:

That is a lovely looking model.

Thanks for your comments Roberto and Thom. I haven't moved this on much since the last update. All of the components are ready for fixing in place, but I have taken advantage of a dry spell to do a spot of tidying up around the garden, as well as painting up a couple of other models of course. :)

John.

• Like 2