1/48 Spitfire seat with empty flare rack.

Whitewolf

Can anyone recommend a very good 1/48 Spitfire seat (resin) that comes with an empty flare rack? I have the Barracuda seat, but the resin rack moulding in my example is quite poor.  Quickboost and Ultracast do nice seats, but for some strange reason, the ones I've seen don't include a flare rack?

Thanks

Edited by Whitewolf

26 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I'd be inclined to use some evergreen strips, and a drill. 

Yes, I could do, but if a seat exists, I would be happy to buy one. Its a bit strange that the flare rack is not included with the seats? Without it they are not very accurate...    

A lot of Spitfires didn't have the racks fitted.

At least some of the Eduard kits supply them in both polystyrene and photo-etch, so there should be plenty of those floating around in people's spare boxes. I suggest you put up a request in the Wanted section.

12 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

A lot of Spitfires didn't have the racks fitted.

At least some of the Eduard kits supply them in both polystyrene and photo-etch, so there should be plenty of those floating around in people's spare boxes. I suggest you put up a request in the Wanted section.

Not all did, but the one I'm building had it fitted. Various seats, resin, etched and plastic kit parts all come in differing sizes, so unfortunately it's not a straight forward case of raiding the spares box, I have a very nice rack that is too small for the Barracuda seat....hence it would be good to find one that actually comes with one...   

6 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Don't some Eduard sets have the rack in PE?

Yes they do, but are normally sized for etched seats in the packs which is useful providing the set for the aircraft you are building is still available.....in the case of 1/48 Spitfire PRXIX it isn't.

7 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

I have a very nice rack that is too small for the Barracuda seat....hence it would be good to find one that actually comes with one...   

That is why I suggested using plastic stock sheet/strips and drilling the holes ;) It's easier to get it to fit your seat that way.

14 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

That much of a difference in seats /racks?

Surprisingly yes. The seat Airfix provide is a lot smaller than the Barracuda seat for example, every manufacturer seems to have slightly different sized seats....

1 hour ago, Whitewolf said:

Surprisingly yes. The seat Airfix provide is a lot smaller than the Barracuda seat for example, every manufacturer seems to have slightly different sized seats....

😂 I  meant the 1:1scale ones.

Kitmakers sometimes have trouble deciding what scale stuff is....😉

49 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

😂 I  meant the 1:1scale ones.

Kitmakers sometimes have trouble deciding what scale stuff is....😉

I couldn't comment on differentions in size of the real thing, but kitmakers should in theory scale that down, but seem to be very inconsistent in doing that lol

31 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

I couldn't comment on differentions in size of the real thing, but kitmakers should in theory scale that down, but seem to be very inconsistent in doing that lol

I suspect cockpits are a question of getting everything to fit together rather than true scale dimensions. 

5 minutes ago, Phoenix44 said:

I suspect cockpits are a question of getting everything to fit together rather than true scale dimensions. 

Could be, the overall dimensions of the kit no doubt influence other things including cockpit fittings.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, solved! Eduard do a lovely etched rack in their cockpit set for Airfix Spitfire  FR XIV which coincidentally fits the Barracuda seat beautifully. It would appear the seats supplied in the Airfix 1/48 PRXIX & FR XIV differ greatly in size despite the fact they should be the same.......

9 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Ultracast do early seats with the flare rack, with and without harness ...

https://www.ultracast.ca/1-48-Spitfire-s/170.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=170&show=30&page=3

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a very nice seat but only fitted prior to 1940. They also do a later seat, but strangely minus the rack. As it transpires the Eduard etched rack is fully compatible with the Barracuda seat and later Ultracast seats.

If Barracuda supplied a decent resin rack the problem wouldn't have arisen, but that's modelling for you.

5 hours ago, Ossington 2 said:

The BBMF photo was taken of the rack adjacent to Spitfire IIa KL-B P7350.

It appears to be an early metal 'Trough' seat, as fitted to the early Mk1s, P7350 is a 11a and has the later plastic 'Lozenge' seat, its probably for display purposes only, unless they intend to swap it at somepoint.