Trumpeter 1/350 Prinz Eugen

Hi All

I've not posted this one here yet, so an update for an older build, I'm not quite sure how old, but it's pre-2015 as I have a picture of it on the shelf at that point. This was the first time I really tried to up my game on a ship build, I'd tinkered with a bit of railings before this, but no more than that. So this was the first ship I airbrushed, the first I added a wooden deck (I think I added it after construction which would have been interesting), and the first I built with railings from the outset. It's also the last time I used stretched sprue to do the rigging, I switched to EZ line after this one. Looking back on it now, it looks pretty good considering all that. It's one of four ships I have that remains on the "might redo it if I have time/money" list (with two others that I might decide to put on the list, three that have had that treatment already and three that I've binned the old version in disgust with the replacement in the stash awaiting construction). I think I can see in the detail where my skill has improved over the years, radar, AA, ships boats, all show the absence of photo-etch aftermarket kits, but for a mostly OOB build that this was, it's decent enough to not stand too much out alongside the later built ships in my fleet.

Hope you enjoy ;) 

QimdNE4W8lhA7sfahyEVpazJM-14SP3L1-ccbIWy

Ym_J84L24bSVtRCOkyFI9-tX0uhWYMFa8tCTzcrg

GnjZ9EpWyRj8VpInhEFlpTmq4xYK1BE_CFoc1O6n

Xrvj-eWRl2TmGmJJIBCFpX1N-i5NRdtu7EOxbI7-

83PvbpgDRk9uItAXhe93idqcf5CGRkcaxlab_dAg

ybmpzKZQoa9qzRQjYF3hN0nbwmA8OMwOQGD8t64w

8-lh4lqVhUEkuXH8lpRWefD3v9SrQY5BLg0hK6dE

zGRCdiAnCXpfbgVwb39iRSPvo_Es2zgczlHSRECn

And the little S-Boat that comes with that Trumpeter kit, could definitely use some detail on this - and some Tamitape tape for the waterline

r1Fu1_jc0Wzcczy0ZDKyUWlYZiw1XIgoOapXgiGm

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Gidday, I've always thought that Prinz Eugen was one of the best looking WW2 German warship, IMHO second only to the Scharnhorst. You've done a great model of her. That light AA outfit would suggest to me late in WW2. The guard rails are a nice touch and I wouldn't have known that the rigging was stretched sprue. Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've always thought that Prinz Eugen was one of the best looking WW2 German warship, IMHO second only to the Scharnhorst

Thanks Jeff, I agree, she's very sleek looking, the proportions just seen to work on her and Scharnhorst.

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Another great build from yesteryear, she's a great looking example of the ship, I'd be curious to see a photo of your collection together, you must have quite a few judging by how they keep popping up on the RFI 🙂

Thanks, I'll try and get some shots of the collection up for you, got two locations in the house to capture 😃

Edited by MRMRL
  • Like 2

On 31/01/2023 at 13:13, MRMRL said:

It's one of four ships I have that remains on the "might redo it if I have time/money" list

• I see no need, but if you insist.... You say it could be better. Of course it can, but then again there isn't a model that couldn't be better... And why not keep it... It will show how much you advanced.  And if you want that design redone, how about sister ships, Blücher  or  Admiral Hipper ( she has more interesting cammo https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10098331/60/2 ) ?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:
  • I see no need, but if you insist.... You say it could be better. Of course it can, but then again there isn't a model that couldn't be better... And why not keep it... It will show how much you advanced.  And if you want that design redone, how about sister ships, Blücher  or  Admiral Hipper ( she has more interesting cammo https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10098331/60/2 ) ?

I agree. I think it better to accept this for when it was and build fresh challenges in the future. Life's to short for steaming around in circles. 😀

Other opinions are available. 

• Like 3