US Cougar 6X6 MRAP.

Stef N.

I was rummaging through the stash and found this old charabanc lurking at the bottom. It was a kit that I was desperate to get, wasn't that cheap, but one that I got fed up with, made a bit of a mess of and re-boxed and dumped about 5 or so years ago. I thought I'd now have the patience and better skills to finish off properly and clear out of the stash. (It is such a big box that clearing it will automatically make my stash look smaller too.😉)

The interior has been done but I am going to seal it all up so you can't see it. I remembered that Meng gave rubber seatbelts which were awful to use and they are mostly sitting in the bottom of the box. There's still a bit to do, including lots of double glazed windows, which is going to need a bit of masking (another thing that put me off at the time.)

p?i=b808594849c34adc078a24d13252068c

Obligatory sprue shot.😀

p?i=a894af56f3877161697f4a86537bae25

p?i=cd71cfd4434585c8e5bfdd83f96a0d76

This back plate finally pushed me over the edge. The fit was awful, leading to overuse of glue, breaking bits off and eventually spilling a load of CA glue over it. Poor modelling on my behalf.

p?i=8f04fa6f1a4f277594ebb63f5a79fa32

Although there are some very nice sagged wheel sets available I will stick with Meng's very nice offerings. That'll save £20 or so.

p?i=479e10a17ffdbed2212b4ce9d55bb3e1

I also have the following paint available but if anyone knows of a better alternative for modern US Sand do let me know.

spacer.png

Cheers all.👍

• Like 11

For anyone interested, Meng have just released a UK Mastiff version of this kit.  I had a look inside the box of one yesterday.  Very nice.  Much of it will be the same as this kit as the base vehicle is the same.  The injection moulded bar armour is not as fine as etch but seems acceptable - and a whole lot less stressful.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kingsman said:

For anyone interested, Meng have just released a UK Mastiff version of this kit.  I had a look inside the box of one yesterday.  Very nice.  Much of it will be the same as this kit as the base vehicle is the same.  The injection moulded bar armour is not as fine as etch but seems acceptable - and a whole lot less stressful.......

That looks nice.👍 Some people may baulk at the price but you do get a lot of stuff in the box, even more so with the Mastiff.

Hi Stef,

I'm surprised that a brand like MENG, and at the price it's sold for, allows failures like the ones you mention, but it seems that all brands have kits with problems... Those wheels look really good...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Stef,

I'm surprised that a brand like MENG, and at the price it's sold for, allows failures like the ones you mention, but it seems that all brands have kits with problems... Those wheels look really good...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis, everything else fits perfectly and I have no complaints. It could have been mostly due to my skill level at the time but the back plate was a pain, so just in case anybody else is attempting it, just be wary when you get to it.

• Like 1

So many windows. I wasn't sure what to do with these, paint the covers separately and mask up the clear glass or attach them and mask up the coloured glass. I went for the latter in the end making sure the coloured glass is firmly attached with plenty of Kristal. The covers have been glued in place using Kristal rather than heavy duty glue, just in case one of the glass panes needs some work. I will firmly glue all these right at the end.

p?i=a58273977182abbdda3cfacc1eda3dc7

p?i=2fbaf51a2e6dcda8fff4ecb04245a11d

Cheers.👍

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That's a big beast Stef. Not my cup of tea but nonetheless interesting to see what you can do with it.

It is a massive thing, the body is longer than a King Tiger's. You certainly get your money's worth. Definitely not a quick build though and a lot of patience needed.😬😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Fancy doing the school run in one of these?? Oh what fun!! Nice work so far Stef.

John.

Some days, a fully working and armed Sherman or Tiger would be very handy.🤬😀

• Haha 1

I quite like this type of vehicle .... something unusual and different.  

It's coming along nicely Stef ..... watching your progress with interest! 

Keith   😁

By the way ..... I was thinking more of the Tesco run than the school run with one!  🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Keith. Parking would be no problem and you could fill it up with a couple of months worth of supplies.👍😀

Shopping supplies ... yes.

Not sure I'd fancy taking it to the diesel pump though ......  😬

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! That's a beast of a kit there, Stef. Be interesting to se what you do with it. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Buy shares in modelling pigments. I'll be using it by the bucket load. 😀

• Haha 1

A small update. First a gripe. The back doors, not including glass and handles, comes in 6 parts. Like the majority of the kit the sprue attachments are in good spots except the most visible part which has 6 heavy duty attachments. Not sure why and a nuisance to clean.

p?i=3da52df2bc64d9b9f5a3ab0d5f11e34b

Anyway, other than that whinge the rest has been going together well. The locating tabs to hold the mudguards on need thinning as they were very tight. No biggie. With all the windows and masking I now know how the plane guys feel. Need to get some masking fluid on some of the edges just to make sure. Minimal etched, which is nice.

p?i=5f3bb0bd70d7ae06c1538fe7b97fc4f6

p?i=c6cf7abe789fbb99904db429861fc73b

Cheers all.👍

• Like 8

Very annoying about those attachment points! They are huge for quite a smallish part. I find it annoying when Tamiya (or any manufacturer) seem to chose areas that will be very visible on the final model. Good to see more progress though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Stef,

Very well resolved, with more modest marks... but with MENG...🙄

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

I can't be too harsh on Meng as they do make some great kits. They sometimes have the "odd" manufacturing ideas in them though. 😯

• Like 1

Your doing a great job on this Stef. Keep up the good work.

I am not really into modern armour, but there is a certain appeal about this beast of a "bus".

George

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Your doing a great job on this Stef. Keep up the good work.

I am not really into modern armour, but there is a certain appeal about this beast of a "bus".

George

Cheers. Definitely prefer older machines and this one hasn't persuaded me into modern stuff. (Although I do have a 4X4 version that needs to get out of the stash. Poor kit by Panda by all accounts though, so that may just get buried deeper😀.) This one with its multiple aerials and massive wing mirrors is going to be fun to store on the shelf.

• Like 1