I can’t seem to figure out how to post pictures

Must be on the dunce stool but I can’t seem to figure this out. I have a Flickr account and moved some photos there to test. I put in the URL and the system doesn’t accept my input! Beginning to think it’s not worth my hassle but thought I’d ask for two cents worth advice!

Just copy the URL address from Flickr and paste into your Britmodeller thread. Are you using a phone, iPad, desktop? To be honest, every device works exactly the same. I post my photos in Flickr and that’s all I need to do. 

Good Luck.

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Donivanp 

Go to FAQ , there is a thread in that section which has plenty of advice on posting photos from flicker, whatever device you are using, please keep trying,we would like to see your work! 

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 3:07 AM, Donivanp said:

I have a Flickr account and moved some photos there to test. I put in the URL and the system doesn’t accept my input!

1) Make sure your Flickr photos are set to Public in Permissions

2) Only use the URL code provided in the Share link directly from the Flickr photo page

3) Paste the URL directly into your Britmodeller post without using HTML img tags, and don't use the 'Insert image from URL' button.

These are the usual suspects when trying to paste from Flickr. I've been using it on here for about 3 years now with no problems at all.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, tc85 said:

is there anyway to add photos as an attachment? 

There is not, for three very good reasons. 

There's a security aspect that I'm not too sure about these days - I've slept a LOT since then, but I think it was something along the lines of hackers being able to inject malicious code that pretends to be a .jpg somehow.

We have a limited space on our server, and to increase that, we'd need to physically move servers, which is NOT an easy task, as our hosts use black box servers that are all similarly configured at outset and can't be changed down the line.  These days, it's a piece of cake to take a few photos and fill a hard drive, ignoring the bandwidth aspect of the problem.  It wouldn't take too many people not knowing what they're doing to splatter our SSDs with some un-shrunk photos that take up several megabytes each, and we'd be running out of space and the forum would begin to stutter then fall on its face.

Then there's the bandwidth issue.  If we breach our generous but fair limit for the month (I can't for the life of me remember what that is, so don't ask), we'd be hit with additional charges the size of which we would have zero control of.  Add those three together with our almost 33,000 members, and we'd be out of server space in about 25 minutes, and opening ourselves up to potentially massive fees that would kill the site off very quickly. :shrug:

There are still places you can host your pics for free or not much money, so check out the FAQs, pick one and learn how to use their site.  Posting a URL to a pic here is a piece of cake, and couldn't get much easier unless someone was to do it for you :D

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tc85 said:

Thank you 😁

It doesn't take much longer to give you a reason than it does to tell you "no!", so why not? :shrug: Plus, manners costeth nothing ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tc85 said:

Do you need to use a Flickr account, is there anyway to add photos as an attachment? 

As has been said, there are many free hosting sites. If you were to Google "Free photo hosting sites", you'll find several. Flickr is just one. I use Imgur which is practically idiot proof (must be if I use it). Avoid Village Photos though. It's not secure.

John.