Ideas for an 1/48 vacformed Scimitar needed...

Carlos Guate

Hi from Central america.

Just asking ideas about how to improve some pieces lacking in a Supermarine Scimitar 1/48 Sanger vacformed kit.

The kit is really hard to built, but actually the basic shape has been finished (fuselage, wings, detail reescribed)

but due our british colleagues has more sources and ideas, I asking:

1. the undercarriage legs (missing) and wheels (the vac ones look like donuts), what other not exactly the same, but similar could be used as a replacement

2. I could get a Bac Lightning ejector seat,, looks similar. any improvement sugested ?

3. the sanger kit lacks decals, I been searching but nothing around the web; any other decals source or maybe which are your suggestion from the spares box.

these are my question asking help to finish with an acceptable level that challenging model, but without spending too much money.

cheers from the by now mild weather Guatemala

Carlos

Edited by Carlos Guate
more information added

• Carlos Guate changed the title to Ideas for an 1/48 vacformed Scimitar needed...
15 hours ago, Carlos Guate said:

Hi from Central america.

Just asking ideas about how to improve some pieces lacking in a Supermarine Scimitar 1/48 Sanger vacformed kit.

The kit is really hard to built, but actually the basic shape has been finished (fuselage, wings, detail reescribed)

but due our british colleagues has more sources and ideas, I asking:

1. the undercarriage legs (missing) and wheels (the vac ones look like donuts), what other not exactly the same, but similar could be used as a replacement

2. I could get a Bac Lightning ejector seat,, looks similar. any improvement sugested ?

3. the sanger kit lacks decals, I been searching but nothing around the web; any other decals source or maybe which are your suggestion from the spares box.

these are my question asking help to finish with an acceptable level that challenging model, but without spending too much money.

cheers from the by now mild weather Guatemala

Carlos

Hello Carlos, first requirement might be sit down and hope the idea goes away. If not, have a stiff drink. If you truly are a masochist (I can identify with you,  sadly) then your options seem few other than trying with a more complete kit such as the Dynavector vac or the Scratchaeronautics resin kit, both out of production but still seen occasionally. The undercarriage parts might be a big problem but I think perhaps the wheels may be similar to the Sea Vixen.. others on BM may be able to help more.

Good luck !

I have the 1/72 version of the kit (then still by Contrail), and I feel with you 😉 The best way to improve the kit would likely be to stop building it and, as @viscount806x suggests, do a Dynavector instead, but that would sound cynical...

The Scimitar has 5-slot wheel hubs, the Vixen unfortunately a dozen or so holes, if the ones here are original. The legs in the Scimitar are a lot longer than the Vixen's, so a Vixen may not sensibly be cannibalised. Pics of the Scimitar u/c are not very prolific (at least in what I had to hand immediately), which doesn't help scratchbuilding. I guess the Contrail wheels could be saved, with a lot of work. Typically I think the rims would have some "dishing", which may be tough to do from scratch. Re the u/c, you are left to scratchbuild - or maybe it is possible that @Artie may get hold of some spares of u/c and wheels? Otherwise, I have the Dynavector and could take you some pics and make measurements of the u/c parts, if that helps.

Looking at your WIP thread it appears I also have one of these, although under the Nimbus label. Mine has decals and typical very basic Contrail injected plastic undercarriage mouldings. Here's a photo which might not be much use, but better than nothing. The main wheels are 1.6 cm diameter.

52662962220_f6042c4c09_k.jpgS legs

5 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

He was talking about the vac parts, but these look like direct copies - no hubs to speak of. And I've just realised my copy has no canopy. Eek!

Paul.

Indeed - but if I am not mistaken, my 1991 Contrail kit/small version (does the Av Hobby Shop in West Drayton still exist? But I may have bought it at MilSlides) also had those "injection" parts just a third smaller, and they were just as cute as the ones above. I wonder why the Sanger kit should have come without...?

@Bozothenutter, I think the stalky u/c is unique, and off-hand I can't recall another post war type with 5-slot wheels (at least the only pic clearly showing the wheels I looked at yesterday featured those) with flush rims. The Swift had "bolt" wheels - not that there are many 1/48 Swifts around... Yes, brass tube, brass rod, spring steel wire and perhaps some alu tubing would seem to be the resort if no Scratch parts can be sourced. A problem may be that detail references on the Scimitar do not really abound - there was an Aircraft in Detail in SAM in 1994 or slightly earlier (possibly with an Inside Story feature), but I think it didn't even feature in the Profile range.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 7:27 PM, tempestfan said:

I have the 1/72 version of the kit (then still by Contrail), and I feel with you 😉 The best way to improve the kit would likely be to stop building it and, as @viscount806x suggests, do a Dynavector instead, but that would sound cynical...

The Scimitar has 5-slot wheel hubs, the Vixen unfortunately a dozen or so holes, if the ones here are original. The legs in the Scimitar are a lot longer than the Vixen's, so a Vixen may not sensibly be cannibalised. Pics of the Scimitar u/c are not very prolific (at least in what I had to hand immediately), which doesn't help scratchbuilding. I guess the Contrail wheels could be saved, with a lot of work. Typically I think the rims would have some "dishing", which may be tough to do from scratch. Re the u/c, you are left to scratchbuild - or maybe it is possible that @Artie may get hold of some spares of u/c and wheels? Otherwise, I have the Dynavector and could take you some pics and make measurements of the u/c parts, if that helps.

Both XD276 and XD215 on the decal sheet were seen sporting the 12-holes wheels you mention (link here and here). Replacements? Different batches? But at least @Carlos Guate can use a pair of Vixen wheels without feeling like he's cheating 😀

4 hours ago, xvtonker said:

Here are some 3D renditions of the Scimitar U/C I've produced in 1/48 scale for my Dynavector kit.

Noswheel

Nose UC

Mainwheel weighted_outer

Mainwheel weighted_inboard

Main UC legs

XVTonker :pilot:

all the items look very nice, How is posible to get the files, just for my endless proyect.

cheers

Carlos