Ammo by Mig paints, are they brushable ?

Momomato

Yes and no in my opinion. They're good for large areas, with a larger flat brush, but need numerous coats. For detail painting they are too thin, as others have said, and there are better alternatives out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they are and I have found them very good. I make 1/72 and 1/48 ww2 aircraft and have had some decent results. I like to use multiple thin coats and I have found that just dipping your brush in thinner before applying them works well. A primer layer helps and for this I use vallejo surface primer and I brush paint that on to. I do have an airbrush but personally I get a lot more satisfaction with normal brush painting :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mig Ammo acrylics are perfectly brushable, especially when used over a primer (I find MA’s own brand very thin and effective and use it under all acrylics).  I have a different issue with them in that their “authentic” shades can’t trusted to be more than approximations to the real thing.  However for colours like Track Colour, satin and matt Black, Rust and Gunmetal they are my acrylic of first choice.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi i want to make painting models easier as i have trouble thinning paint, i use vallejo model colour paints.       I was told in a different modelling group that i can use mig ammo acrylics for bush painting without having to thin them which would be great for me.   im disabled and use a wheelchair and i have difficulty using my hands.   Thanks.

Ash

13 hours ago, alecras234 said:

Hi i want to make painting models easier as i have trouble thinning paint, i use vallejo model colour paints.       I was told in a different modelling group that i can use mig ammo acrylics for bush painting without having to thin them which would be great for me.   im disabled and use a wheelchair and i have difficulty using my hands.   Thanks.

Ash

As @Seahawk says they work fine but over a base/primer coat. They struggle a bit to purchase straight onto plastic.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:18 AM, Stef N. said:

As @Seahawk says they work fine but over a base/primer coat. They struggle a bit to purchase straight onto plastic.

The flip-side of quick-drying paints is that they try to skin over very quickly in the pallette so I do keep some water handy in a dropper bottle to thin them as required.  i think you'd have the same issue with any modern model acylic paint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

The flip-side of quick-drying paints is that they try to skin over very quickly in the pallette so I do keep some water handy in a dropper bottle to thin them as required.  i think you'd have the same issue with any modern model acylic paint.

You can use wet palette, it helps a lot especially if you need more time (and place to mix your colors).

Commercial ones are airtight to keep paints wet for hours or even between paint sessions, have anti-mold layer and cost around but cost 30$ like this one - https://www.thearmypainter.com/shop/us/tl5051p

But you can simply make one on your own - It is basically a wet sponge with a kitchen parchment paper on top of it.  One of my favorites is this one - Reynold's Kitchens Parchment Paper, but I guess any will do. One roll of it will last you for years. If you can't get a good thin flat sponge or foam, use wet paper towel, it'll work in a pinch.

Paint retarders also help, just don't overdo them or they'll need comparable time to universe lifespan to dry (like some old humbrol enamels...)

Edited by Casey