Fairey Fulmar series - Raul Hrubisko - current project

diamant

Hi,

We have started a new project with a short series of the Fairey Fulmar. I still have to add one or two more aircraft with the Sand Spagueti (scheme).

This series will include aprox. 23 models. This is the preliminary list. As usual, any comments suggestion will be more than welcome.

Number Mark Serial code letter Squadron Pilo tPlace Time

1 Mk I N1980 768 Naval Air Squadron HMS Argus21-22 September 1941 https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060045401

2 MK I N1858 1940 Airbrake test

3 MK I Unknown  Farborought RATOG

4 Unknown Sky band

5 K7555  Hestonmay-38 Prototype

6 Mk I N1854   A&AEE Dec 1939 

7 Mk I N1855   A&AEE April 1940 

8 Mk I N1868 7L 807 HMS Ark RoyalOctober 1940 

9 Mk I N1881 H 806 HMS IllustriousAugust 1940 

10 Mk I N4005  Takoradi Dec 1940 

11 Mk I N1916  Takoradi Dec 1940 

12 Mk II N1854   After May 1942 

13 Mk II X8641 A&AEE October 1941 

14 Mk II BP791 BO-J 784 Squaron RAF DremLate 1944 

15 Mk II N1925  RAE June 1943 

16 Mk II N8566 V 889 Fayid Egypt November 1943 

17 Mk II Unknown   HMS Indomitable may-42 https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060007035

18 Mk II X8812 6F  HMS Victorious August 1942 

19 Mk II Unknown 7B 809 HMS Ark Royal  

20 Mk II DR641 6B 809 NAS HMS Victorious November 1942 

21 NF Unknown 889  March to August 1943 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67571-889-squadron-fulmar-desert-scheme/page/2/

22       Sand Spagueti

23       Sand Spagueti

Cheers

Santiago

• Like 4

Hallo 

If you do so, just one question.  Are you also going to make a wing fold? I would suggest you for doing so. If you need any information about it, I have. The engineering of this particular a/c is a great one.

Happy modelling 

Given that N1854 / G-AIBE plays such an important part in the development of the Fulmar, being the first proper Fulmar I, the first Fulmar II, and the sole survivor, I think I would want to add more than one representation - especially one with folded wings as she is today at Yeovilton

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 7:23 AM, Graham Boak said:

The "spaghetti" scheme was not sand but other camouflage colours on Aluminium.  Given that appeared on Fulmars on a carrier, sand would not have been an appropriate colour.

Hi Graham

You are absolutely right. Yes, I have seen a post here about this topic. 

On 1/31/2023 at 11:35 AM, dov said:

If you do so, just one question.  Are you also going to make a wing fold? I would suggest you for doing so. If you need any information about it, I have. The engineering of this particular a/c is a great one.

Hi Dov. No, probably no but thank you very much for your offer. Do you have information on this particular a/c only related with the engineering?

On 2/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, Work In Progress said:

Given that N1854 / G-AIBE plays such an important part in the development of the Fulmar, being the first proper Fulmar I, the first Fulmar II, and the sole survivor, I think I would want to add more than one representation - especially one with folded wings as she is today at Yeovilton

Totally agree with you. We will do two models on this particular Fulmar.

This is just the beginning.

Whats-App-Image-2023-02-02-at-20-31-54.j

Cheers

Santiago

• Like 4

Hi,

I wonder if someone could have more information on this issue.

One of this three Fulmar will be done with RATOG. We have two different options to choose from.

1) One Fulmar tested with RATOG on HMS Illustrious as per the following video. (0:32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=jH2HwUKSwqM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3Zkj7Hb0Z1peyNSLqDFwuN7oZkfa-TVYtldbQm6z4kZz_zlQjVlfOKWC4&ab_channel=FASTAviationArchive

Unfortunately, I was not been able to find the serial number. I have checked the Fleet Air Arm 1939-1945 book without luck and the video is not good enough to read the serial from it.

Sin-t-tulo.jpg

2) On the other hand, I have two photos of a Fulmar tested with RATOG at Farnborough. The serial number cannot be read it from the photos but in the above-mentioned book I found the following:

N4016: Deld Lee 5S SS 12.40; A At RAE 9.1.41 (various trials inc RATOG. trim changes, accelerator, handling) (a.lS<) W&E Fit IFF, AYD, altimeter tests); Den Machrihanish 2-4.9.42; Ford 2.7.43 (SIL RW Holme). 

So far we will probably do the second one at least someone have more information.

On the other hand, I never thought that Fulmar had 6 rockets per side. I thought it would be less since only 3 can be seen from the side photos.

Kind regards

Santiago

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My father is working on the next batch of this series. 

Whats-App-Image-2023-02-21-at-10-45-43.j

I wonder if someone could point us to the best way to do the colour "Sky Grey". Any piece of advice will be welcome.

Thank you very much

Cheers

Santiago

• Like 1

Try Colourcoats: if you can't get the paints you can still look on their website (Sovereign Hobbies) and then find a match by eye.  Xtracolour also produces a match, but I haven't tried it.  Also Phoenix Precision Paints, but I don't fancy your chances of getting these in Argentina.

I think the USN's overall light grey as used in 1940 has been quoted as a match on this board, but this is said more in the hope that someone else will confirm this (or otherwise!)

To quote Nic Millman:

Sky Gray is Munsell 7.0 BG 6.6/0.4 and the closest FS595B value is 26373 which is a very close match at 0.79

So take your pick of AK RC285, AMMO MiG 212 or similar. Or use colours named Sky Grey like Hataka Sky Grey HT 203 (same number for Red, Blue or Orange line) or any of the colours that Tim wrote. I suppose Tamiya XF-19 would be easiest to find.

And looky here :D

If you don't already have it, get this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Fleet-Air-Arm-Camouflage-Markings/dp/1905414080

It is outstanding, and has some excellent notes and rare photos on Fulmars. This includes close-ups of the "spaghetti" schemes, and interesting transitional camo that includes both Sky and Sky Grey on the same aircraft.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2

HI,

Thank you to all of you for your piece of advice, My father has made an attempt and we have a winner.

Whats-App-Image-2023-02-24-at-18-16-04.j

On 2/23/2023 at 11:08 AM, MDriskill said:

If you don't already have it, get this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Fleet-Air-Arm-Camouflage-Markings/dp/1905414080

It is outstanding, and has some excellent notes and rare photos on Fulmars. This includes close-ups of the "spaghetti" schemes, and interesting transitional camo that includes both Sky and Sky Grey on the same aircraft.

Hi. Thank you very much. The book is EXCELLENT. Thanks to Ian we have the book. 

I have an additional question right now about how the undersurface of the Mk I N1854   A&AEE Dec 1939 was painted.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126465

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126482

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126481

Is it correct that the port wing, lower fuselage and tailplane were Night and only the other side of the wing was white?. Is it right?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Santiago

• Like 1

There are a couple of Fulmar foibles you need to know.

Sky Grey.

When painted in early war S1e camouflage (ESDG/DSG/Sky Grey) .  I have used Tamiya XF19 with 20% White added.  

51983675768_cdca80463e_z.jpg

And Xtracrylics Barley Grey

51983610241_17612240f3_z.jpg

51984162405_8bcaafd472_z.jpg

The transition to low demarcation TSS with Sky under surfaces seems to have been interpreted differently depending on whether you were at sea, land based etc so I would suggest (as with all aircraft) looking a specific (dated) photos.

Demarcation

Note the demarcation on the Sky Grey just in front of the tail.  My understanding is that demarcation was changed during production and thus Serial number is a good indication. 

I think its outlined in your book but there were three main variants.  Gentle curve up from just under the Observers Cockpit to the front of the tail plane.  Step up in front of the tail plane (second / third picture), straight line under the tail plane (first picture). 

The transition from S1e to low demarcation TSS with Sky under surfaces seems to have been interpreted differently depending on whether you were at sea, land based etc so I would suggest (as with all aircraft) looking a specific (dated) photos.

@iang is the expert here and knows Stuart Lloyd really well!..

IFF Marking

I terms of the IFF Black/white marking, In the pictures I have seen it seems to be applied to the underside of the mainplanes only, the fuselage and the tail plane remaining Sky Grey.

Sand & Spaghetti Camouflage.

This is a can of worms but remember that to paint the aircraft, the colour could only be made up of what was in the ships paint locker and photos seem to indicate a metallic based paint on the leading edge. 

I will leave you in the capable hands of @Troy Smith if you want to go through that further.

My interpretation (model completed 2016)

51983610256_21144d007b_z.jpg

My current project (just so you know you are not alone building Fulmars) 

Fairey Fulmar MkI N1951/6A, 803 NAS HMS Formidable - Tripoli.  Mar-41 (only have another 2 in the stash).  This aircraft will be finished in a low demarcation TSS (though I need to talk to Ian to try and confirm).

52710024039_5ea5bb8193_z.jpg

Hope this helps and is not considered a thread Hi-jack.

• Like 2

Hi,

Thank you very much for your comments and post. Your Fulmars look really awesome!!. Do you have a website were  you post them?

On 2/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, Grey Beema said:

I would suggest (as with all aircraft) looking a specific (dated) photos.

Totally agree with you. We use to do exactly this for every model we build. 

On 2/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, Grey Beema said:

@iang is the expert here and knows Stuart Lloyd really well!..

Yes,  the book is great and it is one of our main references for this series.

Cheers

Santiago

• Like 1