Vultee Vengeance Mk II, `Mustafa`, 24Sqn RAAF, Nadzab, New Guinea, 1944

Crikey- she’s a beaut! Truly a beast, and from what I’ve read, the RAAF really did a great job with them, after some nagging issues with the supplied engines and carburettors were worked out. Best one I have  seen built so far-in any scale!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's another cracking model off your bench Russ, really excellent paint and weathering again! 

2 hours ago, russ c said:

......but I still struggled with this one in places.

Could you say what those struggles were please? Thinking of getting one of these and forewarned is forearmed!

Cheers

Keith

• Thanks 1

Great build and finish of this Vengeance.  Your photography with the runway and backdrop really set this model off quite well and very dramatically.  I have a mostly put together AZ kit that is stalled when I finally got to the point of butt joining the wings and I was just done with it.  Someday, I will finish it.  I just recently got the Dora Wings kit (with a really interesting insert regarding the shipping of the product because of the current situation) and was amazed it actually came.  I, too, would like to hear about the issues you had with the kit.  Mike's review/build (wish I knew how to attach his link/name as others do, sorry) of the was quite informative and he also had a great result with his kit.  (I don't just give credit to this kit, I think Mike's modeling skills are way under-estimated and underrated by him).  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Russ, this is a superb result for your Vultee Vengeance. Your pre-shading and weathering work suggests the soggy jungle operating conditions these aircraft (and airmen) endured during the war. I also built an RAAF Vengeance, from Special Hobby in 1/72 scale. It is "Lest We Forget" from 23 Sqn, which was also based in Nadzab, New Guinea. Your kit may have been slightly more detailed and well executed than mine. :laugh:

GCDJ3M5.jpg

py1MepP.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Russ, 

Never disappointed with your posts ! 

Vultee Vengeance , is not what we could call "an elegant plane", 😉 but I love these forgotten planes in forgotten theaters of operations . specially Asia/pacific ones. I remember I've  build one , the Frog one, when I was young ! ( last century ..) and one special Hobby still waiting in my stash ..😇

I've read , that in fact Vengeance , was a very potent and effective  dive bomber plane, and loved by crews. 

Very nice build ! good dio and pics !! 

thanks for sharing  !! 

Take care  ! 

bye 

• Thanks 1

Impressive model again Russ! Your way of weathering - noticeable but not smeared - appeals to me. Unfortunately, there are not many documented RAAF Vengeances so I'm may need to copy your sample when I go about mine.

Cheers. Michael

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's another cracking model off your bench Russ, really excellent paint and weathering again! 

Could you say what those struggles were please? Thinking of getting one of these and forewarned is forearmed!

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith, mainly the photo etch cowl flaps, took several attempts to get them looking satisfactory, the instructions for parts placement are vague in places, some parts are built from 4 or 5 items when 2 or 3 would have done ( I know it`s probably to get something close to scale thickness ) the tail u/c springs to mind, it`s made of several delicate pieces and is very weak ( I broke mine cutting off the sprue so now it`s made of 7 pieces 🙄 ). I was disappointed that the multi part canopy can`t be posed open and is too thick to mess around with to try and do it.

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Nice work Russ as usual. Did you think of opening the canopy? Thank you! 

Thanks DJ, yeah I looked in to it but the parts are too thick to even attempt it

Cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

Russ……..you have an uncanny ability to make an ugly aircraft beautiful.  I would most likely never want to build one of these but after looking at your`s here………I`m inspired to so.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1