Airfix Focke Wulf FW190 A-8 1:72

Hammer2023

Hi,

Hot off the heels of my Messerschmitt Bf109 build, I decided to go with another simple Airfix kit, the 1:72 FW190 so I could join in with the group build. It's my first time participating in a group build, and it will be my third model since coming back to the hobby as an adult, so all tips and advice appreciated!

I'm very much looking froward to participating in the build!

Here's a little preliminary work:

spacer.png

• Like 10

Welcome to he GB. It’s not a bad kit, I found there were a few little gotchas particularly with the fit of the instrument panel and the upper panel wing roots. I’m building one soon and I’m going to go back and look at my own wip to  be  fore armed.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the GB, just a friendly warning. Group builds tend to be addictive so you may find yourself doing more of them. I have just read in another thread that if you bend the forward cockpit floor down slightly. That you will get a better fit in the fuselage, might be worth trying ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I got the pilot painted before bed last night. Same sculpt as the one for the Bf109E-4, but with a bit cut out of the back, and the detail isn't nearly as good. This chap doesn't have much of a nose, for example!

I'm going with the box art for this build, which makes this fellow Feldwebel Martin Ullman in Norway in May 1945. I went with a Polarflieger uniform, but with ordinary uniform trousers rather than the leather insulated over pants.

spacer.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Hammer2023 said:

This model really does not want to fit together! And the gunsight... I'll

Yes I seem to remember something similar. I think I stuck the underwing section in to the fuselage first then the two upper wing sections.

• Like 1

I found that main problems with the fit are because you fit the cockpit and wing guns as per instruction...

My solution is to put cockpit front loose in the fuselage (even scrape the the fit line inside cockpit), and glue only at the back - that makes the fuselage halves fit without leaving a gap near the gunsight. Gunsight should go slightly to right side too, as in real plane.

Also, there is a small notch on outer guns that needs to go into the holes in the lower wing, it needs to be positioned very precisely or it will make a gap. Dry fitting and sanding is required, then glue the outer gun while positioning and holding them with lower wing...

With that much force and clamps there might be crazy holes between wings and fuselage. Also you will probably face problems with the gun cover assembly - this little piece of plastic can give hell - it is going to be too long and you will have to sculpt it to place it basically.

You can compare to my progress in this group build how my way works.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

Hi Casey,

Yes, I've been having a look over your thread here (and thanks for the paint tips over on my 109 thread!). I've left the front of the cockpit glue free, but getting the two halves together was a nightmare. I had to have about a dozen goes to get it together, and even then the nose top joins are pretty ugly. I'm trying my new sprue goo mix on the gaps...

The wings didn't want to go together either, but with a liberal application of clamps I got it uniformly joined. I've the fillers drying right now and don't want to interfere with it, so will try the wing to fuselage join tomorrow!

The engine cowling and gun cover assembly went on without too much trouble, to my surprise. I little bit of sanding on the front of the bit with the guns and everything went together fairly well. I doubt the wings will be as cooperative!

For a comparatively new kit (2013 tooling, I think?), I'd have expected a much better fit. This is really awful compared to the Spit Mk1 and the Bf109E-4. I couldn't identify anywhere to put the gunsight on the dashboard, so had to stick it on randomly. I just couldn't get it to fit on any of the dozen or so attempts, and in the end it disappeared somewhere. I think it'll be easy enough to make something with some clear plastic for the part you can actually see.

7 minutes ago, Hammer2023 said:

For a comparatively new kit (2013 tooling, I think?), I'd have expected a much better fit.

There is a reason why nobody want to touch this model even with 20ft poking stick :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammer2023 said:

And here's me thinking a selection of 1:72 Airfix kits would be a nice easy way to get back into the hobby!

Try the Hawker Tempest, it is one of their best 1/72 kits.

• Like 2

The Hurricane is up next, I think. I've bought an Eduard photo etch kit for it to have a go working with that. It was going to be my current build until I saw the FW190 group build and decided to join in!

Edited by Hammer2023
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hammer2023 said:

For a comparatively new kit (2013 tooling, I think?), I'd have expected a much better fit. This is really awful compared to the Spit Mk1 and the Bf109E-4. I couldn't identify anywhere to put the gunsight on the dashboard, so had to stick it on randomly. I just couldn't get it to fit on any of the dozen or so attempts, and in the end it disappeared somewhere. I think it'll be easy enough to make something with some clear plastic for the part you can actually see.

My first attempt at this kit ended up in the bin. I managed to bend a second one into shape, but it's not a kit I'll ever build again. As you say, other subjects in their line-up are fine.

Anyway, keep plugging on. It's going to turn out OK! 🙂

Some quick updates from today. To be fair to the kit, the wing and fuselage assembly went together pretty easily and well. The only real issue I've had with this one was the cockpit and getting the two fuselage halves together, along with the gunsight, which I had to model a replacement for!

The nose tip is where most of the work has gone. Lots of filling and sanding there to get something Im happy with.

I'd also prefer it if the guns and pitot tube went on at a later point...

Some photos of where I'm at:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Hammer2023 said:

I'd also prefer it if the guns and pitot tube went on at a later point...

You will question many times why you even had to put them on at this stage before you finish :)

• Like 1

Some progress for today. I primed this morning and started a bit of painting this evening.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used some Green Stuff World masking putty on the undercarriage wells, and I'm really impressed with it so far. It has a slightly greasy texture which lets you manipulate it without it gripping onto the model or paintwork, and it doesn't appear to leave any residue. Assuming it continues to perform as well as it started, I'm going to be a regular user in future. The 'greasiness' lets it slide over the surface while you move about, which makes it really easy to use. I'm sure it's the same or similar to other brands, but a nice little product to have in the tool box. The photo below shows it after a spray. I forgot to take one of it bare!

spacer.png

I tried the 'tape around the edges and fill with masking solution' for the canopy on this build, so interested to see how this works out. I had a comparatively easier time with this canopy than on the Bf109, so hoping it turns out well.

spacer.png

Lastly, as I know there are some people interested in paints on this group build... My AK acrylic paint set arrived today so I took a quick comparison shot of the RLM 76 I was spraying today. I know it's not a fair test as the Vallejo is on a black cap, but I ordered the MIG set as well, so when I have the whole lot I'll lay them down on some white and black (my usual primer colour) plasticard for a better comparison across the three brands.

Left to right is: AK RLM76 Version 1, AK RLM76 Version 2, Vallejo RLM76, and AK RLM76 Late War

spacer.png

Edited by Hammer2023
  • Like 5