Deep down into the abyss with Shinkai 6500 Submersible - Hasegawa, 1/72 - Finished.

flashlight

Three weeks of this GB have already passed by and there are still three months to go! Plenty of time for another project.

Again I will do something I have never done before and completely different from my recent two entries to the SSDGB. Having built objects that fly high above the salty sea I'll now build something that dives deep down into the salty sea.

This is my new project: the Japanese research submersible Shinkai 6500, which is able to reach the depths of 6500 m.

y4m6LsKPYwbpmOqTP-PDZprZJoAJC6BwXVTb5-PB

Box contents. Seems to be an easy kind of kit.

y4mcFpprKxQxMvi0elK8qwfI0tXI68LtFcnRIE4U

Instructions, decals and a nice fact sheet with description of the instalments on the real thing.

y4mLBcFBJRYLafqmfXEUjd4Q2maJaSUQbVli2Cwi

y4mxp74osVuGmHGiPYJgQ9vXNY3g7ydBpyJ7meeW

Haha - talking about 'easy' - lots of detail painting ahead...

y4mwTssiXqb2FwbSGGlppf-Dukenw3MQAw5Vi4SC

..and white all over! 😱 Someday I'll break the spell and I'll get a nice and smooth white finish!

Some interesting informations provided by Hasegawa (I hope it's okay to post this, if not, please tell me and I'll remove this immediately).

y4mXjebKuzbW3psN5SYumsDvRtD1uisyROG04jOh

It will be started soon. Please @TonyOD add this to the build list, thank you!

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, flashlight said:

and white all over! 😱 Someday I'll break the spell and I'll get a nice and smooth white finish!

White ? Why did it have to be white ?

(apologises to Raiders of the Lost Ark, and something about snakes)

Jon

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, flashlight said:

Instructions, decals and a nice fact sheet with description of the instalments on the real thing.

Haha - talking about 'easy' - lots of detail painting ahead...

Some interesting informations provided by Hasegawa (I hope it's okay to post this, if not, please tell me and I'll remove this immediately).

y4mXjebKuzbW3psN5SYumsDvRtD1uisyROG04jOh

It will be started soon. Please @TonyOD add this to the build list, thank you!

I don't believe a single word, they are really looking for Gojira!

cheers,

Pappy

• Haha 1

Okay, the dive has started!

I kindly ask our host @TonyOD to turn it to green in the build list, thank you!

Did not do very much though, I just cut off and cleaned the two main parts of the hull, placed the front bulkhead inside and the diving panes to the back. I also glued the two parts, that form the front of the hull, together (lower left in the pic) and I glued the rudder parts together.

y4mShzWPT6wCQCxdkit-oLFddTBj2G31hwvKJqbL

That rudder cries out for filler and sanding paper to get rid of the seam and the circles!

y4mzmvA8irYw7eOZ1CE1qoveq2G1tkrjWtbomJQk

y4m69EsEfcnQFF4TLzt59liUEf1TO5ty1wrZxkVq

This is something like a snap fit kit, it seems like you wouldn't need any glue.

That's it for now, next steps will be filling and sanding the rudder and painting and installing the thrusters to the inside of the hull.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

@Bertie McBoatface, @Grandboof Thank you very much indeed!

Work of today, again not very much.

I sanded off the circles and filled the gap on the rudder and assembled and painted the vertical and horizontal thrusters.

y4mtA_j7rW2znBCyaITy69NSCC__oBbFu73WZsWd

y4mDhTTLa2m6f3xJZg6YumUNA1dYPlyGwr9fjVf1

The instructions wants these to be painted in blue FS35622, which seems to be like Duck Egg Blue. The colour is not in my inventory, so I took RLM78 and mixed it with a little bit of pale green to give it a slightly greenish tint. Don't think that this was necessary, but well...

Next I painted the details on the rear bulkhead black and dark aluminium.

y4mAXl_3c7eup0fVpS12CEkLfp7Xzuh7UX6lEXyc

That was about it for today. Here she is, everything dry - er - snap fit.

y4mIQI-U561znZN8UuXI-g25AUNotIy4P2g8cYCS

Looking good already with those tiny propellers and the blue spots!

y4mAwVbPDrDOiz8pF4iJ2eGIjpuQMf_0k7vdAOyb

y4mZHBwt1ZdGsY1KFLyG5W2XEdbTlhPmeGZ5svnF

y4mw1IeATDFoZsutyM-NfviB4YJ3sJfY6KzQXywD

y4mRwP5X9RcOrnJKJNdKOkq9dsxZJtX1QeMrynFY

The rear bulkhead, won't be seen very much of it, it will mostly be hidden by the big propeller once it is installed.

y4mhEXWa4ofAAhHReaOQ-Y1UztVmfD2A6HJFDgcG

Thanks for looking!

Comments, criticism, advice and encouragement is highly welcome!

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

She is an elegant beast, isn't she?

I've been asking myself 'would I be happy going four miles down in one of these?' A real one, obvs.

Yes, elegant indeed!

I think that I would be happy and fascinated by all the things and strange life forms you might see in the light cones of the search lights down there in the pitch black night! Must be very interesting!

2 minutes ago, patmaquette said:

I'd be worried about the outside pressure. 680 atmospheres (or thereabouts). That is incredible engineering, isn't it!

Incredible indeed! It held a world record for manned research submersibles till 2012, then outperformed by the Chinese research submersible "Jiaolong" which could go down to nearly 7.000m. Unbelieveable!

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

the dive continues. Today I had a good progress with a minor setback. First work in the morning was the assembly of the main thruster. Now all the components that should get white paint on were done and I took out the airbrush. This time I used Gunze Off White (gloss) and it went down beautifully! Did I break the spell at last? We'll see. After this I sprayed the rudder and the sonar tower with glossy Gunze Orange. I put all components away so that they could dry without catching too much dust.

In the meantime I assembled the sample baskets and painted them, and I also painted the two manipulators.

In the evening I took out the parts of the hull and the orange parts and saw that the paint worked very well! The only thing - and that is the minor setback - I noticed that I had created two nice teardrops of white colour on the upper half of the hull where I obviously sprayed too much colour without noticing it. No big problem, I sanded them off and I will redo the paint tomorrow.

y4mDcWpfc_4N4H8K6A0XqJX_aSottZ4oheoSVUwT

y4mIBPv4TrYpkKwoEgWRXcatbhmGN6D9ABNUqinD

y4miGXXaHQYJttFYOkahTNUj9nacNSs_tBI-LcHU

y4mcPhm2mt-2WhQd-FC7WpDBAy4CaAcS9kM5wap3

y4mrIopSnxYir7_eo_FAjRzTDoks_--L37aoC7DP

The manipulators still need some colour and a touch up of the seamlines.

Next steps are repainting the upper hull, and the detail painting will start, this is going to be much fun! If all goes well I might close the hull tomorrow.

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

Any comments, advice, criticism and encouragements are highly welcome!

• Like 8

Ahoy there!

Alright, she is buttoned up now.

First I fixed the paint problem. While the upper half of the hull was set aside to dry I prepared the view ports and started with the detail painting on the underside of the hull, where I first masked everything off and sprayed the area of the ballast in dark aluminium. In the afternoon I brush painted the black areas on the underside and then I did the detail painting on the sonar compartment. Later in the evening, after giving the upper hull enough time to dry I glued all the hull parts together. The fit is not so good in some areas, we'll see what I can do about it. I also attached the viewports. After this I started the detail painting on the upper hull.

This is where I am now:

y4mqtVV3-CNL2pEqPyVCM6sOybDGyUU7I8kyrrvf

y4m0vm6saaeKITmGv3oAH263q8y8rE4UtHbQOMNr

y4m3nSkdHR0d7eOvhAOOthJjbrPEHqCvXlTW3rY6

y4mv8-6dKjo5U0N20WxDixDJmp_dOwfeB6MqSHsLy4mUfRGRqtJ-W-z_mNo357Z6DodWOrx4HSS48mQn

y4mRaUFrzzsy7n2qD_gxpHcH2s3dT1970EpfS2bC

y4mvM4qJAHuqbHTXjbisLxW-x6x0uDVRRgWzWJVf

Next will be getting rid of the nasty seams on the sample baskets, installing the baskets and manipulators, then painting and installing of the cameras and searchlights and painting and attaching the ballast parts to the underside. Then only a few small part will be left to be attached after the decals are applied. Of course the detail painting will continue, there is still much left, after all the black spots there will be a lot of details to be painted silver.

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

• Like 9

@Grandboof, @Bertie McBoatface You are too kind, gentlemen, thank you very much for your comments!

Good day, all!

Today I continued and finished the detail painting, I had a lot of fun doing this. I also applied the decals. These were a bit on the thick and stiff side and they didn't react very much to decal softener, but they turned out quite well. After this I painted and attached the rest of the parts and now I'm glad to say that she's finished.

Doesn't she look funny, my little toy?

y4mynztzxCHUdd7noJhO4XPHjORdMzcAaVVS2WK1

y4mx_aCwjoZXBykaynU5SVi6hlQOpJYgjy8CIWei

y4mikmdi9B43CPhQvhwCZLZCHRcga0pkFUxaAXjv

y4mu_r_ex3Jxnbe0LcNHsnJ7O6u1ihnbQRbjJKo-

y4mcknQYwfkpzQiXtiWZoHo_efXxQpEv9EknxHVE

y4mkuL0ncXbDqPGntielKf7cs5eH3HwtPq4VQv2m

I'm thinking about applying a panel line wash, but I'm not so sure about it. Maybe I just want to keep the toy like character of this model.

I'll add her to the gallery tomorrow.

Thanks to all who followed, commented and encouraged me and of course huge thanks to our brilliant hosts @TonyOD, @Col. and @Bertie McBoatface!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Nice work! 

When I built this recently I decided against too much weathering, partly for the toy issue you raised and also because I think from what few pics I found online that they kept it pretty clean. After all it's a one-off expensive research vessel not an airliner that sits outside for weeks on end. I'm sure they clean it carefully after every dive!

You can get a good Trumpeter kit of the Jiaolong, too. I built that recently also and they're fun to sit together on the shelf. 

• Thanks 1