Kovozavody Prostejov issued a kit of the S-199 using AZ plastic a few years ago, and that makes a rather nice model. Eduard have issued their S-199 range of lovely kits more recently and I have their Erla canopy kit to build. Eduard's new decals have their fans and detractors, and I have never mixed paints to achieve a main colour, which Eduard show for their grey-green scheme. I bought the KP kit quite cheaply in 2013, looked at the plastic through the poly bag, and put it away in a dark corner of the stash. It's not good. I decided to use it as a practice piece for the Eduard kit, mixing Gunze Aqueous for the grey-green as per the Eduard suggestion and using the Czech roundels from the Eduard kit to try them out. The pale 'beige' is Tamiya Buff lacquer. I decided to try chipping and used Flory wash to dirty up the airframe as apparently it was very worn at the time of its crash. I overdid the Flory wash, more practice requred. The wing root chipping and the wear along the wing leading edges is OK, but the rest is awful; more practice required. This aircraft was in a training unit and didn't have the underwing cannons fitted, and I didn't go to the lengths of scratching an underwing aerial on a practice piece (the kit item was just an awful blob).

The Eduard decals I used were dated 2022, and contrary to what I have read in some places they reacted well to Micro Set and Sol and settled beautifully over the raised detail on the kit; though I had given the model a very good gloss coat first. The carrier film all but disappeared and there was no way I could get a scalpel blade under the edge to try peeling it off. One YouTube video suggests lifting the carrier film with Tamiya Tape, but when I accidentally got some on the oil (?) triangle on the front of the fuselage it lifted the decal as well as the carrier film; not recommended.

Sorry for the poor photos, the natural light is not good at the moment and I dont have any decent artificial lighting. Believe it or not the canopy has been polished and dipped in Klear and is much clearer that it was originally!

52657982477_76309f0e17_c.jpg

52657982457_bc4a84c6a3_c.jpg

52657982422_9f410b0656_c.jpg

52658473461_5b05b1d54a_c.jpg

52658918805_a8b0deea7d_c.jpg

52658965953_21a0e9c8a5_c.jpg

What can I say; it is built and no longer lurking in the stash, and I have learned a few things which is a result.

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, Natter said:

Kovozavody Prostejov issued a kit of the S-199 using AZ plastic a few years ago, and that makes a rather nice model. Eduard have issued their S-199 range of lovely kits more recently and I have their Erla canopy kit to build. Eduard's new decals have their fans and detractors, and I have never mixed paints to achieve a main colour, which Eduard show for their grey-green scheme. I bought the KP kit quite cheaply in 2013, looked at the plastic through the poly bag, and put it away in a dark corner of the stash. It's not good. I decided to use it as a practice piece for the Eduard kit, mixing Gunze Aqueous for the grey-green as per the Eduard suggestion and using the Czech roundels from the Eduard kit to try them out. The pale 'beige' is Tamiya Buff lacquer. I decided to try chipping and used Flory wash to dirty up the airframe as apparently it was very worn at the time of its crash. I overdid the Flory wash, more practice requred. The wing root chipping and the wear along the wing leading edges is OK, but the rest is awful; more practice required. This aircraft was in a training unit and didn't have the underwing cannons fitted, and I didn't go to the lengths of scratching an underwing aerial on a practice piece (the kit item was just an awful blob).

The Eduard decals I used were dated 2022, and contrary to what I have read in some places they reacted well to Micro Set and Sol and settled beautifully over the raised detail on the kit; though I had given the model a very good gloss coat first. The carrier film all but disappeared and there was no way I could get a scalpel blade under the edge to try peeling it off. One YouTube video suggests lifting the carrier film with Tamiya Tape, but when I accidentally got some on the oil (?) triangle on the front of the fuselage it lifted the decal as well as the carrier film; not recommended.

Sorry for the poor photos, the natural light is not good at the moment and I dont have any decent artificial lighting. Believe it or not the canopy has been polished and dipped in Klear and is much clearer that it was originally!

52657982477_76309f0e17_c.jpg

52657982457_bc4a84c6a3_c.jpg

52657982422_9f410b0656_c.jpg

52658473461_5b05b1d54a_c.jpg

52658918805_a8b0deea7d_c.jpg

52658965953_21a0e9c8a5_c.jpg

What can I say; it is built and no longer lurking in the stash, and I have learned a few things which is a result.

Not bad for an old kit.

Alain

• Thanks 1