Airfix Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72

Here are the final photos from my 109 build, which I documented over on this thread: 

It's my second build, so I kept things simple. All standard out of the box parts and I copied the box art to the best of my ability, and added some light weathering. Paint is all Vallejo acrylics.

I'm always eager to improve, so I appreciate all critique, tips, and suggestions! The canopy is a bit of a weak point on this build; I've talked about the issues I've had with it over on the build thread (as well as the many other things that cropped up!).

The photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

The Airfix kit builds into a fantastic model. I have a third one on the assembly line.

Yours is looking great.

Well done!

JR

• Like 1

Your 109, for your second build, is impressive and shows a real talent for model building and finishing.  Regarding the canopy, it looks like some fit issues came into play at the rear.  Whether they were as a result of the kit's limitations or some problems in the build, just learn from this kit and go forward and be more careful.  The canopy is one of the hardest things to get right as you have to keep the clear part clear, make sure the panel lines are correctly taped, make sure there is no paint bleed through, if there are fit issues, it is harder to correct with filler and sanding due to the clear sections, etc.  And, one of my problems is the canopy was the last part of the build for me to finish.  I had to learn that even though it is at the last of the build, more attention and key, patience, is required to make sure it fits correctly and is painted correctly.  I always was in such a hurry to get finished by the time of the canopy and would rush things.  If you make a mistake on a canopy, it seems to just glare at you and make all your other efforts seem worthless.  So, my only advice to you is to learn from this kit, practice patience and see how well you overcome the difficulties you had with this kit.

• Like 1