Airfix 1/350 HMS Illustrious

Hi

Here's another one I made earlier as it were, updating my profile with completed builds. I couldn't even tell you off hand when I completed this kit, other than "a few" years ago. This kit is definitely a bit of a mixed bag. On the plus, there isn't another 1/350 depiction of "Lusty" so being the only show in town is a plus, and the shape looks about right (to my no research, not too discerning eyes). It's also got a full hanger (not that you'd know from my photos), which is a novelty for an OOB carrier model of its age. On the downside, the detail is very rudimentary, and there isn't too much in the way of aftermarket available for her. I did procure the BigEd details set which vastly improves a lot of the details, but doesn't add much to the armaments, aircraft or deck vehicles. The stock of aircraft is also on the light side, with no obvious RN replacements I could find, so I ended up getting AV-8B's from Trumpeter to expand the air wing. I have tried to somewhat replicate a joint exercises photograph I found on wikipedia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USMC_Harriers_line_the_deck_of_HMS_Illustrious_MOD_45147594.jpg#/media/File:USMC_Harriers_line_the_deck_of_HMS_Illustrious_MOD_45147594.jpg

Albeit that all the jump jets in that photo are US, I'm making it a split of Harriers/AV-8Bs. I had the Osprey from another kit, so that worked and there's a few extra choppers on the deck to use up those that come with the kit. 

Overall, despite it's shortcomings, I'm pretty happy with the overall outcome. It's nice to have a more modern RN ship, I'd really love to get a Type 42 to go alongside her, but I've only found a resin version so far in 1/350 and don't want to stump out for that at the moment, maybe one day. I'd also like to revisit her and add a bit of weathering at some point to improve the overall look, maybe I'll add some new photos when I get round to that. 

Well, enough rambling, hope you enjoy.

Npk_-xoDTNs3wKBbPNMuIZxKtyqHMdiRYVGqsRdS

HTK8g1T2OCSz0lp-jRij8Ot-tlAcrIUBizp9XeJs

WKnoI03g6VpZau1t2mTIn7D_TpHadU_bCZvpsd9L

GcUYZQDAEams8Cdc3s4s3Bdq0wDAHcG7hLSN5ngA

0F06FuOAVXFlFNzPYmJEP6R0rFrYZ9cFF_B18eX-

Cmm0ANLr_NDYbJo36h2dGicDJowSHoKF04HdeXNs

XZUtVXgj3rGwhMLcrMPYJ6EJRAcZSTd8YwoXs18F

uuixqol23qFVp-YShYR_HF2vmGktOxVKFuoHOiPP

JNu2f7nQP1dUkG2lJDBLUvJRMPbHuJfUUPdUYbAx

Gz-QInEDVdUy3a4Ph0g07ofYBOnuwVFX8-tiMI0V

QukwvsnPyeCGu8VAKQziMLDBoPYHgH9Ioak09V11

fgx5M3eTzrnebvtOsv_0dqXIT6KRM23phJPq9SYo

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

Nice one. BTW hows triple build pt.2 going? Insane yet 😉 ?

Thanks. And no, still sane for now although I'm cheating a bit on the concept though at the moment by only building one of them. However, I am more than triple building if the Lancaster, panther and Mary Rose count, none are on the shelf of doom. Will put some more photos up tomorrow I hope. 

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Great looking build, all look very neat, tidy and well presented, I've often wondered about one of these but think I probably have enough to be getting on with, 

Thanks, is there such a thing as having enough to get on with?😜

5 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Nice one :goodjob:

I built a test shot for Airfix, without instructions or decals. To say it was a challenge would be a bit of an understatement

Thanks and I can't imagine even trying that. Same goes for scratch building, the idea makes me shudder 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MRMRL said:

I'd also like to revisit her and add a bit of weathering

I was just enjoying the incredible tidiness of the model. The ship is as I imagine it might be for a Royal inspection. It's museum style and nothing is hidden by weathering. Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one of these in the stash for conversion to ARK as she came out of the builders in 1984 but have been put off because all of the ones I think I have seen to date have been, well, a bit clunky and lacking detail.  This is superbly executed and shows just what can be done to this kit that, as you say, has about the right shape, with just a little thought and some careful use of aftermarket PE.  BZ

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Donald said:

Good use of the extra US airpower to make the flight deck look a bit busier. I wish I had a bit more space at home so I could do capital ships in 1/350 scale.

Thanks, I don't really have the space either 😉

12 hours ago, junglierating said:

BZ to you hoofin work....one very minir criticism...chockheads go carts are green ...havent been yellow since early 80s ..

Thanks, fair enough on the colour, I'll call it artistic license 😉

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:52 AM, Robertone139 said:

Nice job, what photoetched details did you use?

Eduard's "Big Ed" set for HMS illustrious. Only lacking a bit of detail for the aircraft and weapons.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:27 PM, MR2Don said:

Very nice, particularly the 1022 radar. I have a lot of personal experience of them!

Nice, my dad was an electrician in the RAF and spent a posting working on the different radar at a base in Norfolk.