ID Models 1/32 Vacuform Lockheed Hudson

The model was offered to me as a "I'll never build this-you want it?" Some parts had been removed from the sheet backing, most had not.

I've built 2 vac kits previously (2 Broplan 1/72 ATR's) This model has been realized with surplus parts from an HK Models B-17 E/F (props some seats and cowls) HK Models Lancaster instrument panel SAC P-38 gear legs Reskit P-38 resin wheels, loads of evergreen structural shapes and, Engines and Things Pratt & Whitney engines. (Engines and Things now closed down) A full interior was cobbled together (although not to any degree of accuracy it does add visual interest) A full build thread can be found (if interested) on "Large Scale Planes" under "work in progress" 

all marking are painted on except the serial, paint being Tamiya acrylics.

b4DA96h.jpg

rt3rSIA.jpg

ttHiFYt.jpg

2okWYq2.jpg

6FBtaM5.jpg

CnU5GeD.jpg

Gi3ZN4Q.jpg

I know it's not perfect but I do strive for mediocrity.

The cowls are a friction fit to allow removal to display the engines

Thanks for looking

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

It may not be perfect but it is pretty darn good.  I've never attempted a vacuformed kit, but it has to be a step change in level of difficulty.  If you hadn't said something, you would never know it wasn't injection molded.

• Thanks 1

Vacuforms scare me.  And, if you had not mentioned the kit, I would have asked what injection mold company made this beast.  I have just a couple of vacuforms in my stash and have not yet attempted one as it looks daunting to cut out the parts and then to get them to line up correctly.  I am truly impressed with your build; the way you combined various diverse parts to give a very realistic appearance of a Hudson; having the knowledge to know what parts to take from the different types of kits to kit bash; and the presentation of the finished kit.  So well done.  Thanks for sharing.;

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind words, building the Hudson was a lot like the old story “how do you eat an elephant”

I never really planned on building it, just thought I’d try cutting out the parts, then put it aside till I had time. Then thought I’d clean up the cuts and set them aside till I had time, then thought I should try sourcing some engines…landing gear. Well one thing lead to another, before I knew it I was scratch building the interior just to see if I could, then scribing and riveting, then control surfaces…piece after piece became a small project by itself until one day all the projects came together and it looked like a Lockheed Hudson. A lot of satisfaction can be obtained building a vac, it’s a bit like painting a picture In some ways, you’re supplied with the blank white canvas and given an opportunity to go have fun.

again…Thanks for the kind words folks

• Like 1