Spraying white

Snowboar

Hi all I’m a bit of a newb and just got the hang of airbrushing when I dilute Tamiya I usally open the jar and fill it with Tamiya thinners to the start of the neck which normally works a treat but the white seems to be watery but with specks as if it to thick I’ll suss it out but though you lot might save me some time should I increase psi dilute more even though it feels thin any ideas welcome what the difference with spraying whites also struggling a bit with metallic s thanks

Do you use a primer? The paint will grip and cover better if you do.

As for diluting Tamiya acrylic, just do a small amount, no need for the whole jar, to about the consistency of milk.

Use a pipette to get it out of the jar into a mixing vessel of some kind.

Use Tamiya thinners by all means. But car screen wash works too.

Works for me.

I agree with using a primer. When after a white finish I use a white primer first.

Also just thin the amount of paint you need. I mix mine in an old small glass (I can then see how thin it is) and then transfer the thinned paint to the paintbrush using a paint brush.

Mark

• Like 1

I used to have real issues spraying white, yellow, red and metallic paints.

I bought Mr Sufacer white primer. Mixed 50/50 with levelling thinner and sprayed at 15-17 PSI gives excellent coverage and density. Mr Colour and Tamiya paints, thinned again 50/50 provide an excellent finish. 

• Like 1

Can't comment on using airbrush, but if you are in the UK, try Halfords acrylic plastic primer in white aerosols. Spray lightly and it usually covers beautifully in a couple of coats.

I used it regularly over some very dark coloured plastics and it was a treat to use. Also works as the perfect base for painting over with yellow.

Regards,

Pete

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I used to have real issues spraying white, yellow, red and metallic paints.

I bought Mr Sufacer white primer. Mixed 50/50 with levelling thinner and sprayed at 15-17 PSI gives excellent coverage and density. Mr Colour and Tamiya paints, thinned again 50/50 provide an excellent finish. 

Wot he said!!!, works for me, also l work on the principle that to get a decent coverage with the above colours you have to do more than one coat, tend to take two to three coats over the course of a couple of days, patience, patience, patience!

• Like 1

I use Alclad White Primer, and also often use it as the top coat, as it's a good white.  It's got a bit of a yellow tint to it if you compare it to a purer white though, and I have a bottle of White 2.0 from Stuart Semple that I intend to have a go with next time I'm spraying white.  it's supposed to be a very dense white, packed with pigment. :coolio:

I always basecoat with Tamiya white primer in the can,really helps when spraying white.

And I still have a couple of jars of Model Master white enamel which has slways bern excellent.When that's out,I'll be looking for another white,but the white primer makes difference

Edited by Tojo72

It can be surprising fact but a lot of good pigments are usually transparent by themselves - which makes sense. Titanium white, most reds and yellows are good example.

For white, it is normal to add a tiny little bit of ochre-like colors to increase their opacity and resulting in yellowish tint - as @Mikementioned.

Yellow paint - try adding small amount of pure titanium white and see how much better coverage it will get.

For red - mix in some yellow or even sienna. For example, RAL3000 (Fiery Red) can be mixed with 2 paints cadmium red and 1 part of raw sienna.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yellow paint - try adding small amount of pure titanium white and see how much better coverage it will get.

I experienced that with Xtracrylix paints in the dim-distant past :yes:

Red, yellow, orange and white are always tricky to spray properly, unfortunately. As previous folks have said, putting down a very smooth base-coat of primer is always a good thing.

It's always better to put down three thin coats, as opposed to one thick one (which will obscure all the fine surface-detail). 

Hope this helps. 

Chris.  

Thanks for reply’s i prime everything after turning psi down it got a lot better just was a lot slower to cover still learning I’m getting better took me six months to get the airbrush to work or seems like that lol thanks all

I get best results by keeping the air flowing for 2 or 3 passes but only flowing a small amount of paint on the first pass. After the "blow dry" passes I'll repeat. I never lay down a wet coat until I've got the coverage I want. Going slower really is faster. I consistently get good white and yellow coverage over a black base coat in a single session using this technique.

Jamie that seems how I sort of did it I. The end at first I was trying to blast it on  and I got a couple of drips which I had to sand back so slow and steady when u do other couloirs do you do more than 1 coat and is metallic the same approach at the white

Thanks

1 hour ago, Snowboar said:

Jamie that seems how I sort of did it I. The end at first I was trying to blast it on  and I got a couple of drips which I had to sand back so slow and steady when u do other couloirs do you do more than 1 coat and is metallic the same approach at the white

Thanks

I shy away from absolutes usually but I find this works pretty well for most of what I'm doing that's wide area coverage. For free hand camouflage painting I'll have the nozzle a finger's width from the surface but the basic principle is the same - keep the air flowing and the paint minimal, but it's not really a disciplined paint-two-three-paint-two-three thing then.

It's a filler primer. The lower the number on the can the coarser / more filler-y it is. Mr Surfacer 500 is spreadable or brushable rather than sprayable but it does fill scratches and things quite well. Mr Surfacer 1000 can be airbrushed with a little thinner. I'll warn that I've found it's not always the most robust of primers. I have used it as such, painted over it and later had the whole lot lift off under vinyl masks right down to the plastic.

I still use it, but for surfacing only. By that I mean I'll brush or paint it on but polish back to a smooth plastic finish but with the scratches filled before starting with a priming coat, for which I just use my own paint but bespoke primers would be fine too.