Trumpeter 1/72 TU-26 Backfire

Beautiful build - and the first time I have seen this kit actually finished. I built the old Esci Tu-26 and consulted a number of articles about how to fix the issues - f.i. lengthened the fuselage by almost 2 centimetres, totally rebuilding the engine air intakes, nose radome profile etc... But in the end, after comparing to the Trumpeter kit and references to what the plane ACTUALLY is supposed to look like in all dimensions, the Esci Tu-22M (well only kind of a 22M, even after the mods) ended up in the trash can.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jannie said:

Beautiful build - and the first time I have seen this kit actually finished. I built the old Esci Tu-26 and consulted a number of articles about how to fix the issues - f.i. lengthened the fuselage by almost 2 centimetres, totally rebuilding the engine air intakes, nose radome profile etc... But in the end, after comparing to the Trumpeter kit and references to what the plane ACTUALLY is supposed to look like in all dimensions, the Esci Tu-22M (well only kind of a 22M, even after the mods) ended up in the trash can.

To be honest, I was half way thorough same insanity, when Trumpeter announced theirs TU-26. I immediately "pulled handbrake", and waited  for it.. And started ESCI's was used as a source of spare plastic for looong time...

26 minutes ago, Zoran Srb said:

To be honest, I was half way thorough same insanity, when Trumpeter announced theirs TU-26. I immediately "pulled handbrake", and waited  for it.. And started ESCI's was used as a source of spare plastic for looong time...

Hi Zoran! Also please mention to anybody insisting on "fixing" the Esci kit, to also invest in a Vacuforming machine...  You're going to need it to make a new cockpit roof section ;) in order to reproduce the bulges over the crew compartment somewhat accurately.  I feel bad for bashing the old Esci kit like this, TBH I think I read somewhere that it was based on air-to-air photographs taken in the early 1980s and NOT on any kind of technical drawing (as it simply did not exist at the time).  It was likely a case of it being a kit released to satisfy current interest at the time.

• Like 1

That's a nice finish for an interesting aircraft. The Soviet aircraft of these era all look unique (a bit mad even) so I really enjoy seeing them represented. Nice that you saved yourself some of the pain of the older kit, the pain we are prepared to put ourselves through when it's the only show in town 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

That's a nice finish for an interesting aircraft. The Soviet aircraft of these era all look unique (a bit mad even) so I really enjoy seeing them represented. Nice that you saved yourself some of the pain of the older kit, the pain we are prepared to put ourselves through when it's the only show in town 😉

I work, have a wife (who is not happy with my "insanity" – model making), three kids in primary school (they need  a LOT of help with homework...) Time is very precious commodity for me. I can't afford to waist it, to correct mistakes of kits manufacturer, so either I'll build them as they are, or wont buy them at all... Of course this being a hobby, go forth, do whatever you like, and how you like it, as long as its entertainment and not a burden for you...

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Zoran Srb said:

I work, have a wife (who is not happy with my "insanity" – model making), three kids in primary school (they need  a LOT of help with homework...) Time is very precious commodity for me. I can't afford to waist it, to correct mistakes of kits manufacturer, so either I'll build them as they are, or wont buy them at all... Of course this being a hobby, go forth, do whatever you like, and how you like it, as long as its entertainment and not a burden for you...

That sounds pretty familiar, my wife tolerates my model insanity, mainly because she has seen how it prevents me from heading towards actual insanity at times. I've only got one miniature human, he's not 2 yet, but free time is way more of a luxury than it used to be. I've never been a researcher for my builds, a model that looks like the real thing is fine by me, it's only us nutters who could tell the difference anyway, but like you say, that just me. As a ship builder first, "whatever floats your boat" is fine by me, as long as you post pictures so I can see it 😃

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

That sounds pretty familiar, my wife tolerates my model insanity, mainly because she has seen how it prevents me from heading towards actual insanity at times. I've only got one miniature human, he's not 2 yet, but free time is way more of a luxury than it used to be. I've never been a researcher for my builds, a model that looks like the real thing is fine by me, it's only us nutters who could tell the difference anyway, but like you say, that just me. As a ship builder first, "whatever floats your boat" is fine by me, as long as you post pictures so I can see it 😃

Unfortunately for me, mine wife, doesn't understand, that those hour or two of modeling a day, is what keeps me straight and narrow, and not reaching for other ways of consolation (sex with other women, alcohol, drugs, gambling, or God forbid FISHING...)

After all I AM at right age for mid life crisis !!!

P.S. How do you make a dragon, out of chicken?? You marry her....

• Like 3

Hi Zoran, I just saw your post in my thread. WOW, what a beautiful Backfire, artfully finished and weathered. Out of curiosity, is it brush painted? And how long did the build take?

I can see what you mean and how one has to prioritise time, a non-renewable resource by definition. I, too, have a family, pets, and colleagues pestering me with work-related calls well after 6 pm...

It's a pity your wife does not approve of your hobby. I was picking up some putty at the LHS just yesterday and there were a couple discussing the purchase of a wooden ship kit, because "he builds models in wintertime when there is less to do in the garden". I had to pretend an interest in the RC section just not to show my face, because I was grinning like a loon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bonehammer said:

It's a pity your wife does not approve of your hobby. I was picking up some putty at the LHS just yesterday and there were a couple discussing the purchase of a wooden ship kit, because "he builds models in wintertime when there is less to do in the garden". I had to pretend an interest in the RC section just not to show my face, because I was grinning like a loon.

It's incredible how, regardless of our nationality, race or religion, modelers (in most cases) have very similar stories (regarding our wives...). It's not enough that we are at home, and not somewhere else, with God knows whom, doing God knows what, that we (usually) answer to our spouse's demands (more or less) right away... No, I think our dear wives just can't stand to see us happy, doing something without them....

Anyhow, model was airbrushed, but weathering-wash was done with cloth and brush.

As you can see, ESCI and Trumpeters Backfire aren’t even a contest, but if you are determined to correct ESCIs, GOOD LUCK. And keep posting, I would really like to see end result..👍