Lightning Strikes - Italeri 1/72 F-35B Lightning II

PinkThorn242

So an impulse buy at Hobbycraft today landed me with a project for this GB.

726Y7Qdl.jpg

Still debating which of the decal options to go with (probably not the UK one since not sure how well 617 Squadron qualifies even if they're the bulk of the RN Lightning Force right now).

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Still debating which of the decal options to go with (probably not the UK one since not sure how well 617 Squadron qualifies even if they're the bulk of the RN Lightning Force right now).

Same kit, different GB - it's actually 207 Squadron.   Welcome aboard.

617, 207 or any other RAF squadron would be eligible if operating from a carrier. There's precedent - @2996 Victor's RAF Spitfire flown off a carrier to Malta. Certainly the maritime environment! Welcome aboard!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have some bad news. Having finally gotten enough spare time to get started, I made it this far:

tp8Z6nHl.jpg?1

Then proceeded to lose the joystick in the carpet.

🤬

Trying to decide how to proceed now.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Problem is I don’t really have another kit I can pinch one from, no.

I see many solutions here.

The first is obviously another impulse buy!!

You know the kind I seem unable to avoid that got you into the GB in the first place.

I feel your pain loosing tiny parts as they fly off the work bench (my most recent was a tiny piece of PE I had spent the best part of a day trying and failing to fold probably) always brings back PTSD like memories of childhood and my mother vacuum cleaning the house and my Lego disappearing.

If you have never scratch built before the prospect of a 1/72 joystick isn't a terrible place to start.

You could cut down a section of sprue or even consider the old fashioned stretched sprue. You might find a piece of plastic of roughly the right size in some other household good. Does the kit have any optional aerials or weapons that you are not going to use that could be hacked to the right shape?

Think outside the box and consider a cocktail stick or cut down cotton bud. Painted up we won't be able to tell it isn't the kit part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlxBNE said:

I see many solutions here.

The first is obviously another impulse buy!!

You know the kind I seem unable to avoid that got you into the GB in the first place.

I feel your pain loosing tiny parts as they fly off the work bench (my most recent was a tiny piece of PE I had spent the best part of a day trying and failing to fold probably) always brings back PTSD like memories of childhood and my mother vacuum cleaning the house and my Lego disappearing.

If you have never scratch built before the prospect of a 1/72 joystick isn't a terrible place to start.

You could cut down a section of sprue or even consider the old fashioned stretched sprue. You might find a piece of plastic of roughly the right size in some other household good. Does the kit have any optional aerials or weapons that you are not going to use that could be hacked to the right shape?

Think outside the box and consider a cocktail stick or cut down cotton bud. Painted up we won't be able to tell it isn't the kit part.

Perhaps some antenna or thin gear parts as well. Or even just a snipped pin or needle.

Dear Pink Thorn

The joystick in the F-35 is on the right console in the cockpit and is not really much bigger than the pilots hand. Its not an old fashioned joysick tha comes up from the floor. If you are making this plane with the pilot in it, the missing joystick would be hidden by the right hand.

If you really want to make a new one, a short bit of bent wire would work.

regards Toby

• Like 2

Definitely what Toby just said 👆

Alternatively, if you have any other jet kits with aftermarket cockpit, you can liberate the kit joystick from them as it's fairly generic in 1/72.

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Pink Thorn

The joystick in the F-35 is on the right console in the cockpit and is not really much bigger than the pilots hand. Its not an old fashioned joysick tha comes up from the floor. If you are making this plane with the pilot in it, the missing joystick would be hidden by the right hand.

regards Toby

So it looks as if Italeri’s cockpit is completely wrong then!  (No surprise there)

AW 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Pink Thorn

regards Toby

There’s not a pilot figure in this kit.

35 minutes ago, Andwil said:

So it looks as if Italeri’s cockpit is completely wrong then!  (No surprise there)

AW 

if you’re on about that locating hole in the middle, that’s there to take the instrument panel. The hole for the stick is obscured by the blob of plastic cement in the right side of the tub because I pinged the part out of my tweezers trying to put it in place.

• Like 2

So frustrating when that happens. Thankfully my house has tiled floors so usually a sweep will show up the rogue piece.

I think just warm a sprue above a candle and when soft pull until the diameter you want. Then chop it a bit longer than you need, heat it again and make a blobby end bit and even sculpt it slightly with a hobby knife. It might take a few goes to get right but I'm sure it'll be good enough that no one will notice.

(Except us of course!)

Either that or.... just leave it off completely. In this scale it will be hard to notice it's missing. 

• Like 3