Getting back into scale modelling seems an uphill struggle

RobL

Hey all

I gave up scale modelling fairly early in the SARS-Cov-2 pandemic, because certain people's uncharitable and not very community minded attitudes on a well known private scale model forum left a sour taste in my throat, so I cancelled my sub and decided to move on from scale modelling.

I did complete one scale model in 2020 and that was an Italeri 1/72 Harrier FRS.1, but that seemed like an uphill struggle.

Since, and during,  2020 I've been painting Games Workshop figures, and building/painting other Games Workshop related stuff.

However just recently I've been having an urge to buy something new and build a scale model again. 

Thing is, every time I look at what's out there, for subjects I currently have the urge to build a model of, I start getting put off.  It's either a case of things being too expensive now, or kits requiring too much work (even as a basic oob build) to get what I want out of them (like an F-35B with accurately represented ram tape/panels).  I have kits in my stash but I am not enthused by them.

Anyone else here finding continuing with, or picking up scale modelling again, difficult?

Edited by RobL
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've never really left model building to be able to come back to it. I'm 76 now and have been building models since I was about 5 years old. The themes have changed, I spent a lot of time (and a shed load of money) building model railways. When I was stationed in Singapore, I used to build a lot of Johan 1/25th scale US gas guzzlers. But when I came out of the army, I got into building aircraft and did that for about 30 years, until one day, I realised that I was losing interest. That's when I changed tack and started building armour. I'm not saying that you need to go out and buy an AFV kit, but maybe look at something different. Even though I love building AFV's, sometimes I lose enthusiasm. That's when I'll get out a figure to paint or dig deep into my (really) old stash of railway bits and pieces and build a kit of a railway wagon. Works for me.

John.

• Like 3

I seem to have hit a brick wall with modelling too. I didn't complete a single thing in 2022 and haven't been in the modelling room for more than 10 minutes since August. When I do venture into the modelling room it feels like it belongs to someone else!

I find that visiting sites like this one does help to stir the dormant modelling cells a little so am hopeful that I'll get back to it when the time is right (there have been a couple of builds in the RFI today that made me think I could have a go at X and Y kits in the stash). The one good thing about plastic is that it doesn't have a use by date so the stash is safe enough for now.

Duncan B

• Like 5

I'm 76, built most of Airfix's products between 1955 & 1962 followed by nothing for years while life dictated other priorities. Returned to modelling around 2004, spending more and more time on it as time passed. There's now 78 completed models in the display cabinets, more than 20 filed in the bin due to numerous mistakes, and over 200 in the stash - boxed in the garage.  Came late to the use of an airbrush just three years ago which provided another enjoyable challenging aspect. I was suddenly able to do things that I couldn't do with the hairy stick. 

My enjoyment comes from the building and I rarely look at the completed stuff. I can spend hours building a particular model, run into a problem of my own creation or shortcoming of kit design that I can't sort, and consign the kit to the bin with a feeling that I learnt something positive from the process. Which model I start is usually related to what subject matter I've been reading about. I have accumulated an aviation library of over 350 books at last count. I had a strong interest in Russian aviation that the current conflict has put the kybosh on. 

Lately my modelling pattern has been one of intensity for a month or so, followed by not even an approach to the workbench for the next few weeks. Apart from an odd online contact, I don't have anyone else to share my modelling passion with. I've already left two on-line forums, and rarely post here as I have a tendency to attract comments that I can do without as my thoughts and philosophy are far from mainstream. I miss not being able to share my experiences with others and theirs with me. I do suffer from OCD which contributes significantly to the size of my stash and library. 

So ... all this waffle is to say that the other posts in this thread suggest many of us have the same inconsistency of hobby fervour.  My remedy for modelling time-outs is to read more which usually sparks an interest in a particular aircraft. I then try to use that to improve some aspect ... such as seam removal, an airbrushing technique I haven't already used, or something new (e.g. painting the insignia). I don't think there is a universal solution, just an subjective approach to suit one's individuality. 

@RobLh The main question is why do you want to return to scale modelling? It's only one way of using your spare time and money. Scale modelling is not more, or less, than playing computer games, watching football, from my limited experience painting fantasy figures is a challenging and rewarding for some people as scale modelling.

For most people modelling is not a competition against other modellers but rather a competition against yourself,your expectations, experience and objectives. If these are realistic you will enjoy any hobby. It's no good setting your aim at premier League football if your skill and ability are only suitable for walking football.

I cannot help regarding the cost of kits as I am one of those who remember Airfix at 2 shillings each and being concerned that Revell were 2 shillings eleven pence. Even though my disposable income is now as high as it is every likely to be I still baulk at paying over £20 for a kit. The skill required for an F35 is up to you, I have only seem these at Airshows so would be quite happy modelling as seen at that distance - but it's up to you to set your limits.

Lastly I find nostalgia a great driver for my building so the Airfix Vintage Classics are a god-snd for me. The BM nostalgia group builds are also drivers for me.

He key is don't worry be happy in your hobby.

• Like 3

Well, glad it's just not me then.  I can relate to many of the comments above, hence my 'likes'.  While I never really left the hobby over the last 60 odd years.  I tended to have more intense activity depending on if there were fellow modellers to associate with (pre-internet)  When I retired and had all this free time on my hands I threw myself into kit building, I had never stopped buying things that I found interesting and my stash of kits and books grew too big, and then themes would develop, Buy one nightfighter kit, buy some more, same with AFV's  Non-modellers would shake their heads after looking at my stash and ask " why do you need so many of the same type of aircraft/tank"?  Then I could explain about the the different variants and markings that I intended do a series of.  While I'm still enthused by the hobby I have a problem lately of finishing kits off.  I start full of enthusiasm then either lose interest in the subject or find something else that seems more interesting to make.  I'm currently building in the Focke Wulf STGB so hopefully I get to finish a kit, like @Duncan B I didn't finish anything in 2022. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Although it’s not in the shops as yet, Airfix’s new Starter Set F-35B might be exactly what you are looking for. It will only have 42 parts and promises to be as accurate as their designers want things to be (which is quite high of late). Hopefully it will hit the shops by May this year. 

Also as mentioned above, just build for yourself and don’t compare your build to some of the expert builds on here or elsewhere. I don’t know anyone who has started this hobby and produced top results straight away. If you want to be good at anything it takes time, plenty of practise and even after all that you will still try to improve your techniques on the next build after that. 

There’s also plenty of helpful short videos on the hobby, which can be extremely helpful. Watch them and mimic those techniques that might help you. 

Cheers, Chin up and Solider on.. Dave 

• Like 2

It is hard to get back in, with work and a continuing eye problem (plus moderating on here) i've not built much over the last couple of years. 

Im currently going through and sorting my model space out, getting rid of lot of unbuilt kits as the pile seemed overwhelming. Even binned a part started kit for the first time ever.

Hopefully once everything is sorted out I can start proper building again. Going to build nights at my local club has helped in this regard when I can get there due to my shifts.

Just find something which works for you.

Julien

• Like 4

We moved into a new house in mid october.  the time leading upto christmas was spent doing diy jobs and painting to get the house to the standard I want.  upto the move I was a prolific kit builder, but have barely touched a model kit in the past 3 months as all my modelling stuff is packed away in boxes in the garage and I dont have a dedicated build area yet.  I say yet because I am in the process of building my own modelling space at the back of the garage.  Electrical power was installed last week to the garage and I have nearly finished adding plasterboard and insulation.  Cant wait to get the space sorted and get back to building kits.  I am hoping to be back at it within the next month.

• Like 1

I completed quite a few builds last year before hitting the wall in July and suffering "Modeller's Block" in a big way. After trying for weeks to build anything, in the end I walked away from the hobby for a while. I reduced my modelling forum participation too - even on my own forum (the ATF). I had too much "loft insulation" too that I felt was dragging me down so I sold off over 200 models during the last three months of the year making my bank account much better off to the tune of more than £5,000. I like doing jigsaw puzzles, reading and watercolour painting and while I have been doing a lot of the first two, the watercolour painting was as difficult as modelling during this period so I left that for another time.

By December I felt recharged and ready to start modelling again but rather than try to finish my current builds, I decided to do a quick build - the old Airfix 1/76 Tiger Tank. As it turned out, I ended up with a more complicated build that I have really enjoyed doing using a lot of scratch-building and aftermarket stuff. It is almost finished (just waiting for some towing cables) and I knocked out another of the old Tigers over 36 hours as a comparison:

Tiger_I_Tank_76_A01308_OOB_017.JPG

Whilst I am back on course, modelling-wise, I am treading carefully and I intend to take things easy this year and try not to sign up for every group build that will be running on various forums.

Dave

• Like 4

This is a good topic! 

I returned to the hobby after many, many years away after deciding I really should finish a Hurricane kit that I've had for over 20 years part built.  Last year I had a clear out of kits that had been stored in the loft for years only keeping a few that weren't worth anything much. 

I'm enjoying the time I spend as I find it therapeutic and have completed a Landrover and the 'Dirty Sherman' that were started last year.  I do work part time and that has been encroaching into home life for the past couple of weeks but I'll be back at the table soon.  I do have days when I can't be bothered and some where I'm there all day ...

One thing I can say is that I've been encouraged here .... showing what I've done, 'listening' to the tips and comments and taking note of others .... all helps.   

I do feel left out as I don't have a stash .... well, unless 5 counts as one!  🤣

Keith  😁