Mirage 5BA BA33 'Blackbird' Belgian Air Force

Whirly

Hello everybody, I'd like to join the GB with this subject:

BA 33 Mirage 5 Belgium AF  1 SQN

Base kit will be the old Heller multiversion Mirage IIIE / R / 5BA Revell multiversion Mirage IIIE / R combined with Modeldecal sheet #92.

Edited by Whirly
base kit changed
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I rescued from the basement the Heller kit with my best intentions. From a cursory look all semed ok and ready for a start:

20230212_114517

Then I removed from the sprue the fuselages and my enthusiasm vanished at lightspeed 🤬

2023-02-12_12-00-12 2023-02-12_12-01-05 2023-02-12_12-00-55 2023-02-12_12-01-12 2023-02-12_12-01-20 2023-02-12_12-01-30

I know old Heller kits are renowned for this kind of surprises, but this is by far the worst I've ever seen and I doubt I can get anything more or less straight from these parts.

Plan B is digging out a Revell kit of the MIrage IIIE/R and mating the Heller nose: anyone has experience of this transplant and have suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

• Sad 7

Crikey! I thought I had problems with my Heller IVP kit and it’s bendy wings.

I hope you get there with your plan B as that is a great aircraft and scheme.

• Like 1

Nice subject and great box top, so it’s such a shame to open the kit up to find those warped parts. I’m wondering if you start assembling the fuselage at various points (starting from the tail then moving forwards), if this would help slowly forming this kit into something essentially straight? The underside photo (besides the nose) looks reasonable, but the upper halves do need a bit of work. I don’t have any history cross kitting the Revell and Heller kits, although would think it wouldn’t be that far off. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

That really does look awful, good luck with a solution, I've got the same decals for one of these, best I look at my kits. I'd be tempted to have a go at this one myself but I've about 6 weeks of work coming up through the hop harvest & I think that would run me short of time for this.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 12:50 PM, Whirly said:

anyone has experience of this transplant and have suggestions?

It will fit allright. I used the Heller photo nose without drama  on a Revell, since the latter has it molded solid in blue styrene. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:33 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice subject and great box top, so it’s such a shame to open the kit up to find those warped parts. I’m wondering if you start assembling the fuselage at various points (starting from the tail then moving forwards), if this would help slowly forming this kit into something essentially straight? The underside photo (besides the nose) looks reasonable, but the upper halves do need a bit of work. I don’t have any history cross kitting the Revell and Heller kits, although would think it wouldn’t be that far off. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

thank you for your helpful advices: I will try to salvage the kit parts, it can't get much worse if something goes wrong 🙂

On 2/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, Hook said:

It will fit allright. I used the Heller photo nose without drama  on a Revell, since the latter has it molded solid in blue styrene. 

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Andre, just what I needed, thank you!

• Like 1

I found the Revell kit, it is this quite recent.... well, this was my perception before I checked in Scalemates, which states 1989 as release date 😱 How time flies!

20230222_222934

Anyway, as suggested by Andre the Heller nose is an easy fit.

20230222_223143

I started assembling the completely useless engine just because I need something to attach the exhaust on. The kit has a lot of flash and the blue plastic is horrible, hope to cover it soon with black!

20230222_225406

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Wow…. That plastic is a real plug for ‘French Blue’, so vivid, however a good primer for your all gloss black scheme. That Modeldecal sheet also looks to be in good condition for its age, I’m confident it will behave well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:20 PM, Hook said:

This kit dates back to the Seventies, and it shows.

Oh yes, I know the kit is prehistoric. My surprise was because even this *relatively new* rebox is already 34 years old!

Despite its age, it can be the base for a quick build (I hope) adding an elegant livery to one's collection.

I painted the intakes before assembly because they must be dead white, will mask them before covering everything with black.

20230226_174545

I seem to miss a proper front u/c wheelwell 🤔

I added just a roof for now, will try to complete after closing the fuselages.

20230227_222145

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

Main parts are together: the fuselage joint is not that bad, much worse are the tailcone, wings and intakes to fuselage joints.... This will take some time to finish off with repeated applications of filler!

20230301_225740

20230301_225844

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

Nearly there with seam filling!

20230306_221508 

20230306_221520

I'm glad it will be overall black, this will help a lot hiding the mediocre quality of the kit.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you Hook!

All the joints are now ok, though I realized the kit rendtion at the base of the fin is not correct for a Belgian machine, not that it is really that good for any run of the mill Mirage 5 (or IIIE)...

20230312_221044

See this preserved example for comparison.

I removed the whole area and built up the rough shape with plasticard, will refine with Mr.Surfacer 500 and the ECM (?) cone will be added after painting.

20230312_224735

Thanks for looking!

• Like 10

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you @Hewy and sorry for the lack of updates. Other commitments got in the middle and I'm getting quite annoyed by this "simple" kit: I got to the point of adding the canopy and found out a handful of issues...

20230401_220510

I managed to fit the windscreen after a robust reduction of the instrument coaming, but the main canopy is a full mm. short to make contact with it. I'm now considering leaving the canopy open, despite the lack of cockpit detail. Need some time to mull it over.

Thanks for looking!

• Sad 9

I’d say the open canopy option may be the only remedy here. Have you glued the windscreen in place yet as that doesn't seem to fit well either! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 3