hairspray

bismarck builder

Hi Gary, if you scoot over to the armour or aircraft sections they use that technique all the time. It's relatively uncommon on the ship models. ( I have no clue why). Ask again over on the "OTHER" side. You will probably get much more detailed answers. I have never used that method. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bismarck builder said:

RAF4EVER

i would like to know how to use hairspray in ship model painting how to get the effects of a distressed hull and paintwork

gary r  

Gary you might get more info in the amour section not many ship builders use the Hairspray technique but it goes something like this

Spray the base colour red oxide for instance leave to fully dry and then spray a varnish coat to seal the paint.

When dry spray the hairspray on let that dry for about10 to 15 minutes just use the cheap stuff or the missus will go Mad at you I have experience in this matter.

Then spray your top coat on and again leave for 10 minutes

Then using a stiff brush dipped in water you can start to scrub at the paint and make it look worn thus allowing the red to show through making it look like the top coat has been chipped off

You will still have to then seal the finished surface Hope that helps a bit.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bismarck builder said:

gentlemen your answers although gigglesome are not helping 

Gidday Gary, I don't weather my models so I couldn't give useful advice. As for my frivolous suggestions, well this was an opportunity too good to pass up. 🙂 I appreciate that this can become a bit wearisome after a while and I apologize if this was the case. 🙂

It seems that others here wore their sensible hats and were able to give you sound advice. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 17:06, bismarck builder said:

its too late for the hood but i think  Ark or Bismarck is up next and they will defo benefit from hairspray

I'm no expert on Bismarck, but bear in mind that she had a relatively short life and spent very little time at sea, I wouldn't have thought that she would have been looking too distressed (at least before she started taking damage from the British fleet but that's a whole new area of weathering that I won't go in to!).

There are some types of ships that look spot on with the type of heavy weathering that the hairspray technique can produce (Flower class corvettes for example), but I would always counsel that less is more when it comes to weathering ship models.

• Like 3