Bandai 1/72 Resistance X-Wing

I was gifted this kit for Christmas by an unexpected source, and wanted to finish it before that person left our shores for home (roughly 4 weeks). I failed to make that deadline, but did rush a few things in an effort to make it, so it's far from my best work.

263573316.jpeg

Here are some progress shots:

YXh9Hw.jpg

bqLxOh.jpg

2oSmTH.jpg

That last photo is as far as I get before my self-imposed deadline. Using the large kit decals for the various panels was definitely a mistake! I thought it would be quicker and easier, but Bandai and Tamiya have more than outrageously good tooling and engineering in common: they also both have relatively poor decals, that in no way match the rest of the package. I never was able to fully deal with the 'tenting' on the wing panels.

Anyway, here's the finished result:

vNpDCG.jpg

HeoGGC.jpg

rcQPvU.jpg

weLYzW.jpg

And now to a bit of a question-cum-complaint. You'll notice that there's only one photo of the model on its stand. That's because I couldn't get it to fit! It's exactly the same stand (apart from the colour) that came in the Snowspeeder I built last year, but the receptacle in the fuselage to accept the mount is a completely different size, shape, and depth! No matter what I did, it was never going to fit, but oddly, no one else has reported having this problem, so I'm stumped. I tried to take a couple of photos of the problem:

zyX3g7.jpg

8Gq2wt.jpg

Basically, the pin on the mount is too long for the hole it's meant to go into, and the larger barrel it sits on has nowhere to go at all. So you can't get the mounting plate into its receptacle, as it won't go in far enough. But even if it did, it's too large and too square to fit anyway.

I'm completely stumped by this, and nothing in the instructions gives me any clue, other than Step 6-1, which if I look sideways at it, appears to be suggesting that I need to buy another part to make it fit:

0m6HxJ.jpg

But the arrangement as shown just doesn't work.

I managed to get it to sit comfortably on the pin of the mount in exactly one orientation, which you can see in the photo above. But if anybody can clue me in about what the heck is going on here, I'd appreciate it!

Kev

• Like 16

Nice build Kev. Odd about the stand. I haven't built a Resistance X-wing yet so haven't come across that issue. 

For the decals, I'm currently in the midst of applying them to my PG Millennium Falcon. I've been using Tamiya Super Strong decal solvent and a hair dryer. The combo is working for me so far. 

Here's an example. 

PXL_20230123_030948174-L.jpg

Once in place I put a coat of the Super Strong decal solvent on it. Then I use a hair dryer and a damp stiff brush to get it to conform to shape. 

PXL_20230123_031710160-L.jpg

Sometimes it takes a couple sessions to get it down perfectly but it usually works. 

Carl

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FG2Si said:

Nice build Kev. Odd about the stand. I haven't built a Resistance X-wing yet so haven't come across that issue. 

For the decals, I'm currently in the midst of applying them to my PG Millennium Falcon. I've been using Tamiya Super Strong decal solvent and a hair dryer. The combo is work

Thanks, Carl. I did in fact use a hair dryer on some of the cockpit decals, but had to stop after I completely warped one of the parts, and had to order a second kit to replace it! Now I won't take a hair dryer to Bandai plastic again. Or enamel-based products for that matter, as I did suffer from the infamous 'plastic disintegration' after using the oil wash with Tamiya enamel thinners (that's why at least one of the wing cannons is not straight).

Kev

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work Kev,🏆

I was just looking at the same kit in my stash the other day. I'll have to see if mine is the same.

Would be interested to see what you discover, Ray. But as far as I understand it, the mount on the stands is the same for all these Bandai Star Wars kits.

Kev

• Like 1