Reminiscing on my days at south station

Hi dio builders, 

I started this project in mid 2021, a Covid lockdown was being enforced where I live, and work was fairly slow.  What better time to build an admittedly weird project?   I glued the last figures down last night and took pictures this morning!

I have long been a fan of Ian McQue's  conceptual art - it brings nautical/industrial imagery to an alternative future - I don't know why this future is, or if there is any intended message to go along.  My sense is that it is not violent or apocalyptic (and this project is not a Mad Max zombie, fallout or violent scenario)  - but it's clearly not what is going on today.   Many of the craft are anti-gravity - that is, they float in air!  All of this is conveyed with a distinctive graphic style that I like  - it brings a professional tightness - with a whimsical attitude, but not cartoon like - there you go - perfect. 

As I am more of land based guy, I decided my McQue inspired project would be largely land based, but, not completely - South Station would be the home to 2 McQue designed Wasps - small anti gravity aircraft.  The place would be populated with some pilots, mechanics, deck and recovery crews, and a group of others who manage the vast area the Wasps patrol.   I'm guessing they would all live nearby, and the station essentially a home base - with communications and shops.  It includes a mobile station and a remanent build  from whoever was there beofre.

I kept a few self imposed rules in place, first being not to let my thinking get too uptight and keep in mind the "spirit" of McQue's work, and - no new kits - all from the stash, or whatever I might have salvaged from other dios before I tossed them.  I did allow myself to buy lots of evergreen.  Ok, here we go:

52655673705_533b29e9f5_b.jpg

52655718188_2d392112e0_b.jpg

52655718173_ea98066930_b.jpg

52655511394_c106764116_b.jpg

52655673635_4aa55eaae4_b.jpg

South Station was pretty remote - there was a mobile base - and long abandoned elevator tower.  We took it over because it was in the shadow of the highest ridge in our sector, there was a spring and well, and it was pretty easy to get to.

52654742787_2c627a5172_b.jpg

The tracked M1070 could pull anything anywhere!  We brought solar panels for the powerpacks, and our microgrid, but it ran mostly on net zero hydrogen fuel cells.  We had more power than common sense - this place was remote!

52655511374_839dd1eec0_b.jpg

52655718118_516da7be73_b.jpg

The old man ran the place - which was pretty interesting and funny - he was a bit of a nut.   Guess he had to be - kept us busy on missions, we had fun out there - lol - odd crew too all sorts on our team - 

52655232086_643a54c7ca_b.jpg

52655673585_4e5b459bda_b.jpg

We were always repairing the Wasps - and fixing other rides - and building all sort of stuff - it was non-stop which was pretty funny - this was a small post in the middle of nowhere with a big crew with plenty to do!

52654742747_58dc292a25_z.jpg

52655511324_a6d1ff1793_b.jpg

The Wasps were almost completely silent - which was weird - never knew if they were coming or going - and that flight deck!  I know - anti gravity is no big deal blah blah - but man watching the pilots drop them into those bays!  Just weird - And the guy with the gun - Chet - we had two sentries.  Him and Carol - She was perched on the tower with a .308.   I don't recall either of them ever shooting at anything other than to pass the time!  

52655674390_82a0fde2e8_z.jpg

52654743707_6da6e7e346_b.jpg

52654743697_f1a25293ce_b.jpg

52655718948_ab89bbb852_z.jpg

52655718943_ff00cfa38f_b.jpg

52655232976_fff60c44d6_z.jpg

There's Carol - with that .308 - 

52655674345_3db0b0a78f_z.jpg

That's Val, on the perch - haha - he'd stand up there yelling at the recovery crew - he was always barking off orders! lol 

52655232966_0f1b28c0b0_c.jpg

52654743652_594f1920f1_z.jpg

52655674340_e9aedddd1f_b.jpg

And there you have it - 

A special tip-o-the-Xacto to  @Pete in Lincs and @silver911 - Pete and Ron, thanks for sticking with this project!  Your keeping the ideas fresh is appreciated!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Wondered where this had got to !

Followed it all the way until is seemed to drop off the radar, possibly with the onset of The Great Plague, and thought about it from time to time. The time zone difference may have had something to do with it as I often don't go back more than a couple of hours when I tune in in the mornings.

The work in progress that I did follow, probably without comment but definitely  with admiration, was a masterpiece of imagination and great modelling, with great input from Pete & Ron.

The end result - just fabulous, so evocative of McQue's imaginative artistry, and I'm rapt to see it in its present completed, but probably never finished state.

Words fail, this is just so bloody good !!

Rog 

• Like 3

You nailed it at last. As Rog says, fabulous, with a hint of surreal. It's been well worth the long wait though.

As always the photography, photographic trickery and lighting are excellent. 

Some real characters there by the look of it. The group sitting down reminds me of a certain scene from Blazing Saddles. No Mongo though :laugh:

The vehicles and buildings all fit in so well. Shame you can't get this to a model exhibition sometime. Or can you?

I worked on a desert Airfield out in Saudi, and you've captured the atmosphere perfectly. Dust and nothing much to see. 

Love it!

P.S. My best to Mr McQue.

• Like 4

Hello, and happy Monday gents, 

Thanks for the words, and glad to hear that you like the project!  Despite my ebb and flow of enthusiasm about finishing, I'm pleased that it is done!   I'd been pondering McQue's work for some time and couldn't settle on how I could go about representing it.  As those of you who watched the build thread might recall, this was a bit of a wild ride, or at least as much of a wild ride one can have have while building a model! 😄     

@roginoz. hi Rog, and thanks! no, you didn't miss postings, I did!  For a while I was on a bit of a roll and making headway - then off the proverbial cliff of enthusiasm I went!  strange eh?  Going from having a pretty clear picture of what this "should be" and acting to make that happen, to "meh, I think I might have something/anything else to do today..." 😄   I'm not even sure of why I eventually concluded that I needed to take the last few steps to wrap this up and take some photos!  Maybe even related to your comments, (thanks for!) this project required an almost tedious level of continuity to work!  which, in the end was worth it 🤪   

@Pete in Lincs, and Pete - thanks!  I began to wonder if I could pull this one off, or moreover, if I had it in me to do so!  The pictures worked out as well as I could have hoped.  Turns out I finished the project on (last) sunny Friday - and concluded that the predicted, equally sunny Saturday, would be be ideal for photos.  Except, of course, sunny it was-not!  Instead, we were fully cloaked in fluffy, white fog.....well shoot.  Not to be dissuaded at this point, into the fluff we went to a nearby picnic bench, where I took the obligatory numerous photos.  Turned out the fluffy white fog provided some pretty interesting lighting - on one hand bright, but essentially ambient, so cast relatively subdued shadows.  I mention this because I think the lighting is what allowed the pics to be cut into the backdrops with said surreal results - ok  - enough rambling - glad you like it!  Regarding getting this into an exhibit of some sort, I might just be able to do that.  The City I live in has a summer arts/crafts show, open to local folks - I might just go for it!

@Tim R-T-C, well Tim, I appreciate all of that!  This project required a leap of faith, both to build, and for you and others to take a look at and follow along!  I've got to say, one of the bigger challenges for this was remembering not to do/build/paint what we would naturally expect to see - which seems easy enough, but it gave me a run for my money!  

@Muchmirth  you raise a good point on one of the more tedious attributes of this project  - sustaining continuity!!!  Maybe that's why I got tired out at some point 😁  That said.....it would have been a bust without all those weathered  bolt heads! 🤪

@stevehnz  Hi Steve and thanks very much!  It's funny you'd say that.  I spent a lot time thinking about what remote places I have been to looked like - and trying not to think about what I imagine they might look like.  And if I could do that, somebody might be able to look at all of this, and follow what's going on without narration!   

Thanks again - 

Nick 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

I might just go for it!

Good man! I really think you should. You never know who you're going to meet at that sort of venue.

It could be another like minded soul, or another real McQue fan. Either way, there should be some interesting conversations.

Good hunting!

• Like 2

Oh wow! There's so much going on. So much to see and everywhere ya look there's something else peeping back at ya.

I reckon it belongs on show at the highest levels and if it don't win every class in sight, the judges don't know what they're doing.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

@Pete in Lincs, Hi Pete, thanks - I appreciate what you have to say.  You're right - there are a number of layers built into this - likely why it became so hard to finish!  It was never done!  😁  Well - it's done now and I'm glad to hear you like it.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the project - 

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Stickframe
  • Thanks 1

That's so impressive, there's so much detail in there and all so beautifully executed. I'm not familiar with the artist you've taken inspiration from, but that doesn't stop the enjoyment of your scene. It looks so believable, and like you describe, not like a mad Max post apocalyptic scene, these guys seem to be working hard to build something together. 

• Thanks 1

@Pete Robin, thanks, and glad you like it - I'm glad you noticed the layers.  That is what was becoming a real headache to finish!  just more and more!

@silver911, Hi Ron, thank  - -again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and critique along the way!  It was too easy to slip out of the desired world back into the real world during the build - your input helped to keep me on course!

@MRMRL, hello MRMRL, and thanks.  I appreciate your comment about this not falling into the Max Max apocalyptic scene -  while there are lots of interesting projects that involve those ideas, I wanted this to be seen as something else - your comment is nice to read - thanks!

@Gordon J, appreciated -  thanks.  If not for getting a bit burned out on this, it was for the most part an enjoyable project too!  

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

Love it!

This is the kind of diorama I always dreamed of building in my youth but never quite started...

That Škoda Turtle conversion really hits the spot, and there's always those ubiquitous plastic stacking chairs wherever one washes up in this crazy world!

Thanks for sharing 

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Wow - what a story and what a model! I thought my philosophy of creating models that come closest to the original is over-ambitious, but to craft something completely surrealistic requires so much more imagination.

• Thanks 1

That's unique and very special. Fabulous diorama, excellent story too.

It's far from my experience, as I am not familiar with Ian McQue. Tell me, do you think it's accurate? That may sound like a stupid question but what I mean is how close is the finished diorama to your original intentions?

I'm also interested to know how close it is to McQue's work but that's of lesser importance.

• Thanks 1

@Model Mate, thanks very much, and glad you like the project and photos.  I've come to enjoy making the final presentation of a project.  As this is an odd build, getting the images to look "right" was important to me to help with telling the story.  Unhappily for me, I don't know how to use Photoshop - so, I take a different approach.  I take the pictures of the project outdoors.  On that day, there was ambient bright light, as there was almost uniform white fog - unusual for here, but good for this! 

Next - I reduced and then made cut-outs of the images that I wanted to use, with...."Photoscape"  it's a free online graphic packages.  Next, and don't laugh if you are good with graphics 😄  I import the cutouts into Powerpoint and drag them over whatever backdrop seems right.,  Tedious????? yes, very!  The images are then made using the "snipping tool"...as small jpegs....yes, very analog of me! 😄  and, there are no filters - just pictures over backdrops.

@Celestialsphere thank you!  I have built a couple of "out there" projects before, but most have been more realistic - and intended to reflect something that did, or could have happened.  This was a pretty big leap for me, and I was frequently tempted to build something as it would look "normally"  - but like the Turtle, looked for ways to do something believable, but maybe not what you'd see otherwise.

@Toryu, thanks very much - you might laugh at this, but I usually do what you describe too!  trying to achieve of accuracy.  I think that actually helped with this project.  I've learned plenty about how things work and look doing various detail-up projects, and think that helped with establishing the credibility of this - who knows?  it was fun to build!

@Zoran Srb, hello, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.  For what it's worth, I usually build modern armor subjects and various automobile/truck projects. so agree, this is intentionally weird!  This idea just kept floating into my head, so decided why not?  Like any other project, do some research, collect some images, sketch out an idea and get started.  And, it allowed me to thin out my collection of unbuilt kits!  

@Bertie McBoatface, well Mr McBoatface, thank you! and, well, you raise some good, and interesting questions, which I appreciate!  I am indeed pleased with the end result, but don't think I'd use the word "accurate" as I made this up, using the work of McQue and other for inspiration - but for some reasons that are relatively subtle. 

First though, I went back to the folder on the project - and made up some images - first, some example of Ian McQue's work:

52667004611_5e74bab418_b.jpg

I have read his work described as conceptual art - I like that phrase, so am sticking with it!  You can see industrial and nautical influence.  I can't discern a cause for any of this, nor do I see it as being violent/zombie/post apocalyptic, but, clearly whatever is going on, is not the same as what we see today as "normal' - and I like that combination of elements.

Next was to consider, how might these images translate into something or someplace closer to what we know, see, or could see today:

52667296439_75db1e8c23_b.jpg

I collected lots of images before really getting going on this build - to help develop and refine a concept.   

I liked the idea of merging industrial and abandoned places and objects.  As I had the two little WASP models (which are designed by McQue) I decided up front that this project would somehow incorporate them. 

Regarding the aircraft carrier - I also considered off-shore oil rigs - purpose built and distinctive (which aircraft can land on), but both are at a weird, uncommon, industrial scale - we've all seen pictures of these, but until you walk on one, don't get what they feel like.  And images of abandoned places, with faded paint, overrun look, a bit creepy but not terrifying, added to the overall look I was after.

The Chevrolet pick-up above made me think of adapting the Skoda kit into something else - the sweeping curves, headlights, smiling grill, and 4x4!  The halfcab reminded me of McQue vehicles in general, so perfect - funny story, those trucks were 6x6s used in agriculture, and were built about a mile from where I live!  Those inspired my little 6x6 Wasp recovery rig.

The overall idea was to focus on life and activities surrounding a remote, mobile control launch station, and a tall, abandoned building.  This took a while to get dialed in - below is a concept image:

51265610745_210982ab12_b.jpg

Above - I had the HET M1070 tractor and trailer in the stash - and had it for a long time.  It seemed to be right as the mobile part of the project - but, as projects/places? like this favor tracked vehicles - the M1070 was converted into a half track:

52667507668_09e14a0ae3_b.jpg

Back to the overarching question, I think the project does portray a reasonable interpretation of the character of McQues work, and maybe more importantly, in a non-violent context.  I raise the latter, because it would have been pretty easy to up armor/Mad-Maxify the overall look - and that is not what I did.  The project includes two armed sentries, but they are relatively low key - I interpret them as being more of a commonly found or expected attribute of a place like this, than anything focal or unnecessarily dramatic. 

OK, this shouldn't become a dissertation!  I enjoyed building the project, and appreciate each of your comments - like Ron @silver911 and Pete  @Pete in Lincs  in the beginning, thanks to you all for contributing to this project!     

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Stupidly I I hardly ever visit this part of the forum,  so glad I did.  There's not an aspect of this that isn't stunning.   I'm relishing the prospect of devouring you WIP thread over the next couple of days,  expect several likes coming you way - Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Toftdale, hi Andy, well, yes!  glad you made your way to see the dios!  There is lots of interesting work going on - and, as you have found, quite a variety of subjects!  Thanks very much for the enthusiastic reply to this project.  It's admittedly a bit/lot odd, but, it was equally interesting to try and develop and build.  Cheers!  

@Homer, thanks very much - thank you for having a look, and leaving your thoughts - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1