Mig-19 Farmer Syrian Air Force

Good day,

I finally check in with my first submission for 2023.  This is the Mig-19S Farmer from KP.  Here is a brief overview of the kit………

1. Colors / paints used 

A. Airframe : Model Master Sand, Helicopter Green, Vallejo Air Light Blue

B. Cockpit, gear wells, air intake : Vallejo Air Greyish-Blue ( AMT-7 )

C. Landing gear & pitot tube : Tamiya titanium silver ( X-32 )

D. Bombs : Mission Models Light Grey ( 36307 )

E. Missiles : Mission Models Flat White

2. Various washes of sand, brown, black, and light grey 

3. 0.5mm brass pitot tube used to replace kit supplied tube.

4. Pastels & pencils for various weathering highlights

5. Plumbers Putty and lead fishing sinkers used for ballast.

6. Included photo etched seat belts.

7. Vallejo “Fuel Stains” for the wing tanks.

I found this kit to be similar to the Airfix Mig-17 Fresco in construction and fit.  The landing gear assembly was particularly troublesome however the overall fit to the airframe itself was good. I used the two bombs from the spares box.  Unfortunately , the windscreen only comes in one piece.  I had given thought to cutting it open but I did not have a spare kit to use.  The supplied decals come in four rather colorful Egyptian and Syrian options and were very nice.  The kit can be a bit tricky in certain locations mainly with the main landing gear and nose gear well.  There are no shortage of tiny bumps, blisters, and antennas to place all over the fuselage.  The wing fences are separate pieces.  Due to the added complexity, I can only recommend this kit for more experienced modelers to construct.

Thank you in advance!!!!

With much respect,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here is a picture of the 0.5mm brass tube before i painted it……….

spacer.png

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Mike, she’s a beauty! I fancy building one of these but it will have to join the queue ;). You’ve got a great finish on her. I now know my reference for when I get to it ;).

Martin

• Thanks 1

A most convincing Farmer! Your subtle enhancement of the panel joints makes the model really come alive – and look more like a 1:48th scale job. You have the eye of an artist.

Very impressive and inspiring work.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:27 PM, Hopesdaddy said:

Great build on the Farmer, your weathering looks spot on 

Thank you sir!!!!

23 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work Mike, and a nice collection too B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew.  😃

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Wow, Mike, she’s a beauty! I fancy building one of these but it will have to join the queue ;). You’ve got a great finish on her. I now know my reference for when I get to it ;).

Martin

Thanks so much Martin. I hope the Syrian version was “obscure” enough for you as we all know your affinity for rarer types. :like:

18 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's a really nice result and a great collection too. The weathered finish on the Syrian MiG is particularly good - well done!

Thank you sir.  Very nice of you to share those comments.  

18 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Quite a beefy lookin' aircraft.

Well done, in unusual colors and markings.

You're on your way to a representative collection of MIGs!

Thank you my friend.  High praise from a supreme artist such as yourself is always welcomed. :yahoo:

16 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Superb looker Mike, I like it tons.  :clap:.  And presented on that base it really looks the part.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  Here`s an offer.  How about you join me here in Ohio instead????  Name your price my friend. 💰  Much appreciated as always!!! 

13 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Fantastic Mig-19 and Mig-21s!

Saluti

Giampiero

Thank you Giampiero.  Like Roman, I appreciate the accolades from you.  :like:

9 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Superb work! Always liked the look of the MiG-19.

Martin 

Thanks Martin.  I`m trying to keep

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

A very nice MiG-19 which is a great addition to your middle east fighter collection.

:clap2:

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

A very nice MiG-19 which is a great addition to your middle east fighter collection.

the same pace as you.  :coolio:

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A most convincing Farmer! Your subtle enhancement of the panel joints makes the model really come alive – and look more like a 1:48th scale job. You have the eye of an artist.

Very impressive and inspiring work.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim…….so very kind of you.  Thank you so much.  Your words are very appreciated by me. 😃

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!!!!! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike,

Good to see you’re still alive and kicking! Can’t really add to the glowing comments of my fellow styrene surgeons, except to say I totally agree! I also appreciate the kit review, as I have the KP kit, but have always wanted to do a Pakistani AF one in the two greys. Don’t be a stranger!

Mike

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

Thank you Ryan.  Much appreciated my friend 😃

9 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

I think this may be the first time I've seen this kit built, nicely done sir.

Thank you sir!!!!

2 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

What a great job!!! I love it, the Mig-19 is one of my favorite MiGs. 

I`m pleased that you like it and hopefully we can all see one from you soon.  :yahoo:

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Mike,

Good to see you’re still alive and kicking! Can’t really add to the glowing comments of my fellow styrene surgeons, except to say I totally agree! I also appreciate the kit review, as I have the KP kit, but have always wanted to do a Pakistani AF one in the two greys. Don’t be a stranger!

Mike

Ha Mike!!!!  I`ve been here.  We just missed connections :coolio:.  While 2022 was a particularly challenging year for me, I was able to post six subjects here, seven including one in the “2022 Yearbook” section. Glad you liked the Farmer and as always, thank you for the kind words!!! :like:

Mike

• 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice model!!

:)

Sorry for asking respective the obscureness of the subject:

Did Syria ever operate MiG-19s? 🧩

Thanks 

Thank you for the kind words :like:.  

I did some research into your question and discovered that Mig-19`s were used by the Syrian Air Force in limited numbers.  Mostly as an interim type until more MiG-21`s and MiG-23`s were made available.  Egypt appears to have had the largest numbers of MiG-19`s in use from the Arab air forces.

• Thanks 1