Scimitar FV 107 - the learning continues! *Finished*

Keeff

So, having completed the Filthy Landrover and Dirty Sherman, I'm about to start on my next learning journey build, the AFV Club FV107 Scimitar.  This is also a first venture into the brand, which looking at builds here, should be OK.  

Taking the learning from the previous two, I've decided to go basic ...... no damage, no thick application of mud (despite the recent delivery of some Ammo mud effects stuff) and no aerials made from wire.  :shocked:

As it's based on a vehicle used in the desert, I've done a bit of research (unlike the last time!) and; by the looks of it, the desert colour was applied over the standard green, although if anyone knows different, I'll happily take some guidance. 

Based on this, my plan is to go NATO green, apply chipping fluid in the areas that seem to get most wear and then apply the desert colour so I can work on getting that 'scrubbed' look, but without going overboard.  

A appears to be tradition, I've pictured the sprues ..... they look crisp and not too much flash.  There are a lot ejector pin marks, but none that I can see will need attention at the moment. 

Make yourself a brew, pull up a chair ...... here goes!!  

52652413207_49cffb0119_c.jpg20230127_213345 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

52652904421_dda336c957_c.jpg20230127_213647 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

52652904216_db0db0cffa_c.jpg20230127_213659 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

52653385523_7ba1831290_c.jpg20230127_213726 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

Thanks for looking 

Keith  😁

• Like 11

I like your plan! If'n I am remembering correctly, the tracks are very "flimsy" feeling. I had awful trouble with mine and ended up with a fair old bodge job. (It was likely my fault, but a Scarborough warning never goes a miss eh?). Have fun, overall it's a lovely little kit.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

I like your plan! If'n I am remembering correctly, the tracks are very "flimsy" feeling. I had awful trouble with mine and ended up with a fair old bodge job. (It was likely my fault, but a Scarborough warning never goes a miss eh?). Have fun, overall it's a lovely little kit.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete.  You're right, the tracks are flimsy!  I'll be going careful wit them.  😬

17 hours ago, Kingsman said:

You might want to invest in their after market indy link tracks.  Much better.

I might end up doing that, but I'd like to see how I get on with the ones supplied.  

• Like 2

So, I spent four hours on this yesterday and got to this:  

52655391748_9c9b04c219_z.jpg20230128_223553 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

52655391763_79b0331869_z.jpg20230128_223631 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

There were few bits along the way that needed some work to get the parts to fit correctly.  To make it easier, I wrote on the instructions .... 

52656617575_55a5e66ac2_z.jpg20230128_223314 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

The side stowage bins seemed to need alot of careful filing and shaving to get the angled faces to sit correctly ready to be glued, for overall, it's looking a tidy little thing so far.

Thanks for looking!

Keith  😁

• Like 10

Thank you Francis.

I thought it would be easier to write on the instructions and take a picture rather than try to explain using photo's. 

It's coming along nicely now! 

Keith  😁

Hi this is a lovely little kit to work on, however if you are using the kit tracks they can be a bit tight! Also if you want to replicate the sag you will need to drill some holes and insert some wire to get the track down.

8A0B73F3-0084-467B-B04E-E34F4EE2C34D

as you can see the first one goes above the second wheel and the next just in front of the fourth😄

Have fun and I HTH 

Ivan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank Ivan,  I'll bear that in mind! 

I like yours with the figures .... mines going hatches down unfortunately!  😏

Keith. 😁

Edited by Keeff

Hi Keeff. Looking forward to following your build. I'm pretty sure I have one of these in the stash somewhere, so will be interested to see what you do with yours. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Well, I managed a few more hours on the build again Sunday, so it's progressing nicely......  

The hull is pretty well finished.  The headlights needed some light filling to get rid of the 'dent' from the moulding process, and the stowage bin at the back needed a fair bit of work to get it to sit squarely and flush ..

52657414027_e4de78e210.jpg20230130_080041 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

The turret is just about complete.  I still have the two large periscope viewers to fit (one needed a moulding 'dent' filling).  The detail is really good, but there are some seriously fiddly parts to contend with! 😬 

52657414082_6698beca50.jpg20230130_080125 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

The one thing I need to get mastery of is the glue application.  I've noticed that you can see where it's been a bit too much around the aerial base ...

52658186669_9b48735262.jpg20230130_080149 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

And, as for those tricky bits, I've made notes on the instructions as before, which I hope helps anyone else building the kit .... 

52658351270_292d23dc76.jpg20230130_080227 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

52658186714_110ae7115b.jpg20230130_080351 by Ran Domstuff, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! 

Keith 😁

• Like 13

Good to see more progress Keeff. Applying glue, especially in certain locations, can be a pain at times. I'm not sure what glues you use but I have started using Tamiya Extra Thin, more than I used to - which, with the brush provided, seems great for certain locations. I've had a few mishaps with it though - especially when I've been using a finger to hold the part in place and the glue runs around my finger rather than the part!! Lovely finger prints on the model! When I use glues like Revell's Contacta, I often apply very small amounts with the end of a coctail stick. I think there will be ceratin parts that will always be harder to glue, no matter how hard we try.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Keith,

A good job with the turret, it looks complex and very busy... as the good old @PlaStix says, the extra-thin glue (Tamiya which is the one I use now or MIG (the one I wanted, and there wasn't when I went to replace it... it's super-thin... it quickly evaporates...) it can help in difficult places, because it flows by capillarity/gravity...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

Hi Francis, thank you for the comment.

I am using Tamiya thin glue .... I just need to be more careful and avoid getting it on my fingers!  

I've managed to get some of the marks off with gentle sanding and have now completed the turret .... pictures to follow! 

Keith.  😁

• Haha 1

Progress update ..... I've finished the build and have managed to get a coat of bronze green primer on this evening. 

Learning point ..... don't build complex shaped and cluttered turrets then try to airbrush them ...... in this case, it would have been better to keep the stowage bins off until I'd painted it!   😏

Anyway, here's the latest pics.......

52677749395_e2968d2597.jpg 

52676803462_655ca670a3.jpg

52676803157_ca35fc1d93.jpg

Overall view including the wheels 

52676802412_307c94d6fe.jpg 

Thanks for looking and your comments are welcome .... 

Keith   😁

Edited by Keeff
  • Like 13

Hi Keith,

You're right, with complex profiles, AB is difficult to work with, but if it can't be painted...probably it won't be visible...lol. In any case, I use a brush with very long bristles, just wet the tip. It looks very nice, will you do camo or just green?...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Hello Francis and thank you for the comment.

My plan is to do this in desert colours, but looking at various photo's this was applied over the camouflage, so that'll be the first covering, followed by chipping fluid and the desert colour. 

I like the tip on long bristled brushes .... duly noted and I may invest in a couple!! 

Keith  😁

• Like 1

Here we go with some more progress......

I've sprayed the main parts and wheel bronze green then lightened it to add highlights to the upper surfaces.  I've toned it back down and very lightly added some shadowing to the lower surfaces and where the turret sits on the hull. 

You comments welcome as always!  

52679526502_c95b068d8f.jpg

52680479740_a1e62a8d7a.jpg

52680540698_8b1c9d6534.jpg

52680327819_3743bb52e3.jpg

52680043396_a5f15947a6.jpg

Thanks for looking!  

Keith  😁

• Like 11

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Lovely job with the paintwork! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

That's some good spraying. Nice.👍

Thank you!  

Keith. 😁

Coming together nicely Keith.

When i driving FV432's in Germany in the 80's i remember these speeding past us on the Autobahns with the crews laughing at us 🙄

George

• Thanks 1