Ever question ones sanity

PhantomBigStu

Regularly question my sanity, especially after spending nearly £900 on just 4 components upgrading my PC! 

I appreciate prices have risen, but even those of us that are used to steep prices for PC hardware are shocked by just how much they have gone up in this generation of hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treker_ed said:

Regularly question my sanity, especially after spending nearly £900 on just 4 components upgrading my PC! 

I appreciate prices have risen, but even those of us that are used to steep prices for PC hardware are shocked by just how much they have gone up in this generation of hardware.

Well, a motherboard, CPU, power supply and graphics card are pretty much a PC, aren't they? 😜 Supply/demand, I guess... try buying a "new" Skoda electric car. It'll be two years before it gets delivered thanks to chip supply chain issues...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Well, a motherboard, CPU, power supply and graphics card are pretty much a PC, aren't they? 😜 Supply/demand, I guess... try buying a "new" Skoda electric car. It'll be two years before it gets delivered thanks to chip supply chain issues...

best,

M.

Nope... Motherboard, CPU, RAM - and an extra PCIe SATA controller. That's all!

Motherboard £375

RAM £119

CPU £379

SATA £37

(Ooops actually just over £800 actually - but even so - on just 4 items!!!!!)

Prices for next gen have shot through the roof. Supply issues are pretty much none existent now, there seems to be plenty of supply around. Manufacturers have got it in to their collective heads that we are all now more than willing to pay through the nose for our kit! Before buying I spent hours researching prices, availability, hardware reviews etc, and even most tech sites are of the opinion that everything is overpriced by an exceptional margin! I'm just glad that most of the kit out of the system was able to be re-used. Been looking at the possibility of upgrading the case I have, and the one I currently have will have to suffice for a long time! All full tower cases now do not come with any 5.25inch external drive bays as they have decided that optical drives are obsolete, and no-one uses them anymore. I don't think so! They are still sold, they are still used, and I have 2 of them in my PC! I still have a back catalogue of DVD based games that I still like to boot up now and again that I don't have available as downloads. On top of that, we buy music CD's still - prefer to physically own a cd instead of streaming my music. Luddite maybe, but if anything happened to the streaming service, or signal etc. then how do you gain access to the music? At least having the physical CD I still have them available. I do rip them, and have several hundred GB worth stored on an external NAS system on my home network!

Sometimes I think the whole world has lost their collective sanity trying to be "always connected!" Doesn't always work, and there are still people who do not want to be always on line, or people who cannot be online.

• Like 1