Airfix 1:72 Fairey Swordfish Floatplane

Well this mortal is in awe of your build, your finish, and your skills.  From your description of the issues you had to recover from and how you were not happy with the results, I expected as somewhat trashed out kit that was finished as nice as it could be, but was one of the "Three Foot and Looks Good" kits.  This is an absolute beauty that is so detailed, from the pictures, it must be a 1/32nd kit.  How on earth you achieved such detail on a 1/72 kit, including the complex rigging is just beyond us mere mortals that avoid bi-planes because of the daunting rigging.  I mean there is a reason this plane has the nickname "Stringbean".  :Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Well this mortal is in awe of your build, your finish, and your skills.  From your description of the issues you had to recover from and how you were not happy with the results, I expected as somewhat trashed out kit that was finished as nice as it could be, but was one of the "Three Foot and Looks Good" kits.  This is an absolute beauty that is so detailed, from the pictures, it must be a 1/32nd kit.  How on earth you achieved such detail on a 1/72 kit, including the complex rigging is just beyond us mere mortals that avoid bi-planes because of the daunting rigging.  I mean there is a reason this plane has the nickname "Stringbean".  :Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much George.

I think the nickname was "stringbag", one reason I read was that is was versatile enough to carry almost anything (like the old  shopping bags that were made of string). Can't remember where I read it though - possibly the Haynes manual.

• Like 1

Is that wire loop going to be placed on the front of the engine, about halfway out from the central gear casing?

If so, DON'T! 

I have never seen a photo of a Bristol Pegasus with such a ring fitted. Why all the PE makers keep on adding this, I'll never know!

Chris

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Is that wire loop going to be placed on the front of the engine, about halfway out from the central gear casing?

If so, DON'T! 

I have never seen a photo of a Bristol Pegasus with such a ring fitted. Why all the PE makers keep on adding this, I'll never know!

Chris

Chris - as mentioned, the model was finished over a year ago! I just posted some additional pictures to show the interior etc.

The Royal Navy Historic Flight Swordfish certainly has the ring fitted, maybe it's not original. I'm not even sure what it is, maybe for de-icing or something? Anyway, I thought it added some interest to the "black hole" of the front of the engine. If it's not 100% accurate it's not the end of the world for me!

BTW it's scratch-built from brass tube and lead wire, not photo-etch. I know Trumpeter and Tamiya have photo-etched versions in their Swordfish kits.

• Like 2