1/48 Hasegawa F-16N. NFWS (Topgun) US Navy.

Hi all.

This is my first for 2023 though I started it a few years ago with the bulk of the work done last year. It's the venerable 1/48th Hasegawa F-16N. I eyed off the 72nd version when I was a kid but never built it so when this 48th version kit came up cheap on a swap and sell table I had to have it. Replacement decals were at hand to replace the old kit items in the way of the W&D Studio decals so the NFWS aka Topgun option was chosen. Sad to say they aren't all that great as heapings of decals softener barely moved them. The only other small enhancements are DXM pitot and AOA probe and fibre optic cable for the static dischargers. The pilot is from the kit and the base is courtesy of some offcuts from Bunnings. My wife recently bought herself a router so I added a 45 degree bevel to tidy up the base. The rod is some clear perspex that's sanded to frost it up.

The F-16N was the true hotrod variant with its small mouth inlet and big engine exhaust so I had to put it in flight. I cracked the air brakes so the pilot could pull the nose over to get a gunshot on his blue adversary...who knows what happened next.

Cheers,

Mick

01-final.jpg

02-final.jpg

03-final.jpg

04-final.jpg

05-final.jpg

06-final.jpg

07-final.jpg

08-final.jpg

09-final.jpg

10-final.jpg

11-final.jpg

12-final.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Nice work indeed!

Love the detail in the pilot's posture.

Regarding the decal stiffness, have you tried using a hair dryer on them? It tends to soften the decal and changes the way it responds to softener.

ATB
Rick

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spad said:

Nice work indeed!

Love the detail in the pilot's posture.

Regarding the decal stiffness, have you tried using a hair dryer on them? It tends to soften the decal and changes the way it responds to softener.

ATB
Rick

Thanks Rick. He's hard to photograph due to the glare off the lights. Glad you spotted him.

I have heard of the hair dryer method of attacking stubborn decals but hadn't crossed my mind for these ones. I think my concern would be softening the kit plastic or underlying paint. Have you had any success using that method?

23 hours ago, albymoore said:

My second favorite paint scheme on an F-16, and yours looks fantastic, Mick. Which paints did you use on your Viper?

Cheers,

Albert

G'day Albert. Can I guess what your favourite scheme is? I'll guess the black/grey/white scheme from the 18th Aggressor squadron at Eilson...or one of those cool schemes?

The colours are all from the Mr Color lacquers.

FS35237 = C337

FS36270 = C306

FS16473 = C73

FS36251 = C317/+C334 (I used a 50:50 mix)

FS36307 = C324 (I used this one) or C308+C318

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Mick

22 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Looks great!  Really nice work on the camo scheme and the pilot's position is a nice touch too - well done

Thanks Vulture. It gives the drive a bit of personality.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Sumptuous colours - lovely model.    😉

20 hours ago, Ralph said:

Great model of an equally great aircraft!

16 hours ago, IGKent said:

Great take off! :goodjob:

Cheers, not quite an unrestricted climb but bear enough.

15 hours ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Excellent work, it's a fantastic looking F-16.

The Hasegawa kit has held it's age well, particularly the earlier version.

14 hours ago, ianBke said:

As said super model topped by that pilot head turn.. great touch

Thanks Ian.

2 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

G'day Albert. Can I guess what your favourite scheme is? I'll guess the black/grey/white scheme from the 18th Aggressor squadron at Eilson...or one of those cool schemes?

The colours are all from the Mr Color lacquers.

FS35237 = C337

FS36270 = C306

FS16473 = C73

FS36251 = C317/+C334 (I used a 50:50 mix)

FS36307 = C324 (I used this one) or C308+C318

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you for the paint information, greatly appreciated. As for my favorite scheme, it's the Israeli Air Force three color camouflage carried on their F-16 fleet. I am also very fond of the BDU splinter camouflage that was carried on a couple of Alaskan-basedUSAF aggressors.

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by albymoore
Can't brain when typing today.
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Mick Drover said:

I have heard of the hair dryer method of attacking stubborn decals but hadn't crossed my mind for these ones. I think my concern would be softening the kit plastic or underlying paint. Have you had any success using that method?

I have. I learned it from a car modeller mate of mine. Examples are this Hasegawa Toyota Corolla WRC car - the only paint is the white and the decals were like cardboard - literally! Even the green around the rear bumper was decal!

Also this WestPac 737 with Colorado Springs sponsorship - the markings all over the rear fuselage and fin are all decals which were stiff and felt thick but ended up giving in and conforming to the surface detail beautifully

I also had great success with the legendary dayglo decals in the Airfix Jet Provost - if you look close you can see it went down into the panel lines and even around the tip tank filler caps

51930702226_1aa8a82b06_c.jpgIMG_7604 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

51930702116_857df20e2c_c.jpgIMG_7605 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Give it a go - just keep it on a low heat and watch the decal - as soon as it shows a change (maybe wrinkling etc) take the heat away and add decal sols

ATB - and sincere apologies for the thread hi-jack.
Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 1

Mick……..that`s a great way to display the mighty N version of the F-16.  The speed brakes and pilot`s pose sell it as a convincing replica.  The excitement is felt just by looking at it.  Superb indeed!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

21 hours ago, Spad said:

I have. I learned it from a car modeller mate of mine. Examples are this Hasegawa Toyota Corolla WRC car - the only paint is the white and the decals were like cardboard - literally! Even the green around the rear bumper was decal!

Also this WestPac 737 with Colorado Springs sponsorship - the markings all over the rear fuselage and fin are all decals which were stiff and felt thick but ended up giving in and conforming to the surface detail beautifully

I also had great success with the legendary dayglo decals in the Airfix Jet Provost - if you look close you can see it went down into the panel lines and even around the tip tank filler caps

51930702226_1aa8a82b06_c.jpgIMG_7604 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

51930702116_857df20e2c_c.jpgIMG_7605 by Rick Smith, on Flickr

Give it a go - just keep it on a low heat and watch the decal - as soon as it shows a change (maybe wrinkling etc) take the heat away and add decal sols

ATB - and sincere apologies for the thread hi-jack.
Rick

Not at all Rick, that's great information that I'm sure others will appreciate too. I'll give that method a go when I next encounter stubborn decals.

Cheers,

Mick

21 hours ago, Stephen said:

Superb work.

Thanks Stephen.

19 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Mick……..that`s a great way to display the mighty N version of the F-16.  The speed brakes and pilot`s pose sell it as a convincing replica.  The excitement is felt just by looking at it.  Superb indeed!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Mike! It's a very dynamic pose. I wanted something other than level flight with a gentle turn. Going by peoples reactions here  I think I've managed it.

Cheers,

Mick

16 hours ago, basket said:

Superb in action Viper ! 

Congrats !

Cheers Basket!

13 hours ago, Keeff said:

Fantastic build .... and a nice way to display it too. 

Keith  😁

Thanks Keeff.

• Like 2