1/72 Arma Hobby P-51B Mustang. 3 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force. Fano, Italy 1945.

Hi all.

There's not much to say about this kit other than it was an enjoyable build. I've read a few articles and seen a few build/review videos and I don't know what the issues were that folks found. This thing fell together with the only care being taken on the clean-up of the sprue points. A few additional items in the way of Eduard exhausts and SBS Model block tread tires. An included set of resin tires for the RAAF option from Arma Hobby would have been a welcome addition as the build was held up for a week while waiting for them. Paints are Mr Color lacquers along with a stack of others including oils, pigments and a few acrylics for the interior. I'd build another one for sure.

Bancroft the bench mascot for scale.

Cheers,

Mick

01-final-v2.jpg

02-final-v2.jpg

03-final-v2.jpg

04-final-v2.jpg

05-final-v2.jpg

06-final-v2.jpg

07-final-v2.jpg

08-final-v2.jpg

09-final-v2.jpg

10-final-v2.jpg

11-final-v2.jpg

12-final-v2.jpg

13-final-v2.jpg

14-final-v2.jpg

15-final-v2.jpg

16-final-v2.jpg

17-final-v2.jpg

20-final-v2.jpg

22-final-v2.jpg

23-final-v2.jpg

24-final-v2.jpg

Edited by Mick Drover
Corrected images
  • Like 27

19 minutes ago, Darwinism said:

Fantastic work Mick.  I’m making this one at the moment - it won’t be as good as yours when it’s done!

Glad to hear  you like it! You'll enjoy the build.

Take care when installing the instrument panel as locating lugs can foul the windscreen and forward fairing. Mine was fine but I did need to shave off a wee dram of the clear plastic for it to fit comfortably.

There are a few items that are incorrectly marked on the instructions. The upper wing roundels suggested are the wrong size however the correct sized ones are on the decal sheet. The gear legs are also incorrectly numbered when mating with the gear doors. The scissor links should be to the rear. Diagrams later in the instruction booklet indicate this correctly but it is incorrectly labelled at that step. The placards are really nice too.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:16 PM, Mick Drover said:

Glad to hear  you like it! You'll enjoy the build.

Take care when installing the instrument panel as locating lugs can foul the windscreen and forward fairing. Mine was fine but I did need to shave off a wee dram of the clear plastic for it to fit comfortably.

There are a few items that are incorrectly marked on the instructions. The upper wing roundels suggested are the wrong size however the correct sized ones are on the decal sheet. The gear legs are also incorrectly numbered when mating with the gear doors. The scissor links should be to the rear. Diagrams later in the instruction booklet indicate this correctly but it is incorrectly labelled at that step. The placards are really nice too.

Thanks for the head ups - I’ll watch out for those gotchas.

Edited by Darwinism

On 1/28/2023 at 10:23 PM, Sky Keg said:

Wow!!!!! It`s hard to believe that it`s in 72nd scale.  The faded, sun bleached appearance is perfect!!!!!! A work of art indeed!!!! :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike. The reference photo I have suggests they were fairly weathered airframes. You wouldn't know it had the firewall scheme on it as the are forward of the firewall was really worn paint. I'd think due to the abrasive conditions they were in, the paint didn't hold u[p well. 

Mick

On 1/29/2023 at 5:27 AM, Pete Robin said:

Wow, you've weathered the doodoos outa that one. Impressive work tho, it's certainly hard used and abused.

Regards

Pete

Certainly have Pete! They were well worn airframes.

Mick

12 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Great work, it looks sooooo real!

Congratulations!

G.

Thanks G...now about those Hurricanes!

• Like 2