The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat Part 2

Day 46 roundup!

Today it's all about the mighty @stevej60, who not only has added a sleek and beautiful 1/48 Fury to the gallery, but has pitched with in no fewer than three new WIPs. Come on Steve, you're making the rest of us look bad! :goodjob: @PhantomBigStu is also there with a new Corsair. 

So the maths is fairly straightforward for me today...

191 builds

126 underway

33 finished

1 sunk

• Like 3

As my Higgins boat

is progressing well  I think it needs a home, so I am am tempted to build a small Dockside Diorama to house. it. This would mainly be in card using Scalescenes materials and in the longer term would form part of my WWII era railway layout. I'll give it some thought and if I go ahead I will start the appropriate thread.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Paul821 said:

As my Higgins boat

is progressing well  I think it needs a home, so I am am tempted to build a small Dockside Diorama to house. it. This would mainly be in card using Scalescenes materials and in the longer term would form part of my WWII era railway layout. I'll give it some thought and if I go ahead I will start the appropriate thread.

Ummm... WWII railway layout..? a few choice photos would not go astray! 

Goodness it's went quiet here recently. I've been quietly checking out your posts though.........all looking good folks.

Finally going to make a start on my Harrier today. It's the the most I've looked forward to a build, despite the Harrier not been initially close to my heart..........go figure 🤷🏻‍♂️😁

Maybe also because it's my first GB in entirety. I'm in the FW190 GB, but due to missing the start of that it's not fully eligible. So, looking forward to this one 👍

• Like 5

This little beauty arrived in the post from Ukraine today:

BhvG6u3.jpg

I'm keen to have a crack at a little underwater vignette in resin and found this figure from Ronin Miniatures. As I need to crack on with the lighthouse and Seehund, it's more likely I'll be saving this project for the Comfort Zone GB, but I thought I'd share it here.

• Like 10

Hi, seadogs.....minus epic Captain @TonyOD, that's a major loss to us all and no mistake.....😶

Well, I think I've missed an opportunity to join in. I've been picking away at a few initial details on the Academy 1.48 Grumman F3F navy biplane just for recreational purposes.i remember thinking previously that it would make a good candidate for the Salty group.

And then it went out of mind....

Now, after a spell of enthusiastic modelling , I've joined the fuselage and added the lower wings....🤭

I'm too far in, aren't I???

25%.   ?

Nice little kit too.Very enjoyable (mostly) That's the problem -too easy to stick more bits together

Opinions....?

21 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Now, after a spell of enthusiastic modelling , I've joined the fuselage and added the lower wings....🤭

I'm too far in, aren't I???

25%.   ?

Nice little kit too.Very enjoyable (mostly) That's the problem -too easy to stick more bits together

Opinions....?

The GB started on 7 January.  If you stuck the bits together after that date, then it's perfectly eligible.   Just get your build thread up soonest.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The GB started on 7 January.  If you stuck the bits together after that date, then it's perfectly eligible.   Just get your build thread up soonest.  :thumbsup: 

You've heard it from The Boss now @rob Lyttle; get that thread going and show us your progress :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

With my seahawk going into the sea after leaving the deck wondering if I could squeeze something else in, slightly unsure if this is definitely eligible?

2465c9eac9a62705f6ab5d68198c7ccd.jpg

FRADU machines are certainly eligible Stu :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to call HMS Daring my last build for this GB. Six is enough for anyone, and my next build is going to take longer than the time that is left.

Jon

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Faraway said:

longer than the time that is left.

Jon

Yep, we're into the final month and it's time to get anxious all round! Or for the old sea dogs who've seen it all before and more this is where it gets stimulating!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

the final month and it's time to get anxious all round

Indeed. Well I’ve very nearly finished my Fock Wulfs and have dusted off my Sablatnig and all the while I’ve been chipping away at my longship, just need to get my Freidrichshaffen started and my hovercraft and attack boat back on track…

BF8C8523-6BE9-4EA4-8E3D-CA5E92FA3432.jpg

Believe it or not this is my 100th image for the SSD GB…

278190EA-93D1-4A08-8312-37942114E292.jpgAnd my 99th which is altogether more dramatic…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Yep, we're into the final month and it's time to get anxious all round! Or for the old sea dogs who've seen it all before and more this is where it gets stimulating!!!!

I think I've passed the position of anxiousness.  I'm now firmly into the realms of pleading with Mr @Enzo the Magnificent for an extension.  Please! 

BRAVE is further on than I thought she would be but I still can't see how I'm going to get everything done in 4 weeks.  Another month would be extremely helpful.

Ships take so much longer than those things that fly from them.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm now firmly into the realms of pleading with Mr Enzo the Magnificent for an extension.  Please!

We've still got four weeks to go, so it's a little early to be talking about an extension.  However, we can certainly revisit the request in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 11:44 AM, Col. said:

FRADU machines are certainly eligible Stu :D 

Cheers though im not so sure I will now enter it, finished redecorating and got a ton of finished models to sort through to either cull or match the pile of spares with and repair and put back on display so perhaps best if I o don’t add to the workload 

• Like 1

Bit of a pause on my builds for a couple of weeks as I'm currently in that most salty sea dog of places, Weymouth! Great to breathe that sea air, and soak up the boaty inspiration in the harbour!

• Like 1

Three weeks eek. Ok the longship is almost done, the attack boat is too, the Sablatnig and the Freidrichshaffen should come together fast, just leaving the hovercraft which needs the roof to be added a task in dreading :)  but all doable before the GB ends.

• Like 2

On 03/04/2023 at 19:46, danbuoy said:

Bit of a pause on my builds for a couple of weeks as I'm currently in that most salty sea dog of places, Weymouth! Great to breathe that sea air, and soak up the boaty inspiration in the harbour!

I lived in Weymouth when I was flying Lynx.  Best thing about it was the A354...because it was the way out! 😄

• Haha 3