The Salty Sea Dog GB Chat Part 2

4 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

What I do know is it's a slippery slope towards scratch-building a Viking longboat

Trust me it’s not that slippery and it’s sort of not a slope.

What really hacked me off was that I saw no less than three kits of the same on my last visit to my (not so) local model shop. But mine will have much more of an artisan feel than anything revell could have produced :) 

It could have been worse I was considering a trireme first…

F53-F0-CFB-95-FA-4-DA6-9-E80-A783-DA3894and now that I think of it this probably constitutes an even crazier scratch build but it did win the poll in the anything but injection GB 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

Morning shipmates,

It’s life on the ocean wave for me… or at least a cross-Channel ferry. I’d hoped to be more involved with the GB this last week but it’s been a busy one and the WiFi in the hotel was a bit duff. Normal service will be resumed shortly with a Behemothic Build List update etc. Hope you’re all enjoying your modelling. 

cheers

Tony

spacer.png

• Like 10

Gidday Tony, at the guard rails I see. Unloading your lunch? 🤢 No, can't be, you wouldn't have that facial expression (ask me how I know 😁).

But seriously, on the open deck with a bit of a breeze, yeah that's hard to beat. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

How do you know? 

I've 'enjoyed meals twice' on a number of occasions - once on the way down and again on the way up again! 🤢 And I've never felt like smiling at the time. That was usually at the beginning of a trip (I used to be in the Naval Reserve here). Once I got my sea-legs I was OK though. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I've 'enjoyed meals twice' on a number of occasions - once on the way down and again on the way up again! 🤢 

Smoked bacon.  Only thing I've ever found that tastes the same both ways 😄

I'll get m'coat

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Smoked bacon.  Only thing I've ever found that tastes the same both ways 😄

Gidday Chewy, I'll take your word for it. 😁 In Bass Strait in October 1982 the Naval Reserves here did a major two week exercise, based on the Falklands (damage control etc). The last evening before we left for our final run back to base the skipper cooked tea for us all, a rather potent curry. That night we hammered into a head sea, I remember looking UP to the wave crests while I was on the wheel. My watch partner said the curry had burnt on the way down, and burnt on the way up again! I was OK actually, I ended up on the wheel for nearly the entire four hour watch.

Oh, and no need to get your coat. 🙂      Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:49 AM, Marklo said:

Enjoy the rest, but don’t be a stranger.

Thanks Marklo. I'll drop in for a lurk from time to time and will make a few comments on Sunday mornings

On 2/10/2023 at 9:23 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Enjoy your well-earned shore leave, @Bertie McBoatface, your wit, warmth and enthusiasm have helped make this cruise on the good ship Salty Sea Dog the enjoyable voyage of discovery that it has been so far!

Thanks, I hope the discoveries continue for you.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

This is mutiny, Mister McBoatface. ...  Maybe just cut back

You can't mutiny on your own, silly.

I have certainly cut back, Mr Magnifico, I'm only commenting on Sundays now.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, Nerazzurri said:

@Bertie McBoatface didn't even realise you were commissioned!

More like press ganged. 🙂 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:07 PM, TonyOD said:

Many thanks for all your help.

Tony

You're very welcome. I remember writing that I'd help until I stopped. I just stopped a bit earlier than expected. Brought up all standing, as they say.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:03 PM, Alan P said:

Jumping ship before the halfway mark 😲 I suppose that's an occupational hazard when you go all or nothing. Thanks for your huge enthusiasm to get the GB rolling @Bertie McBoatface, sadly wasn't inexhaustible and you deserve a break 👍

And there you hit the nail square on its head. "all or nothing". Thanks Alan

On 2/8/2023 at 11:26 PM, John Laidlaw said:

Sorry to see you fly off into the sunset, @Bertie McBoatface, but hope you'll do a few close passes over the next few weeks just to keep an eye on proceedings.

Thanks John. I lurk from time to time and allow myself a few comments on a Sunday. I posted a tanky RFI last week so I'm still hanging on in the hobby, by my fingernails perhaps, but I'm still here.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:01 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

relentless commitment to keeping an eye on all our builds. I must admit, that having co-hosted a few GB’s myself it can take its toll, 

Thanks Dave, relentless was my downfall, not for the first time. As that great philosopher B. Joel said:

It's all or nothing at all
I don't know why I go to extremes
Sometimes I'm tired, sometimes I'm shot
Sometimes I don't know how much more I've got
Maybe I'm headed over the hill
Maybe I've set myself up for the kill

On 2/9/2023 at 6:19 AM, flashlight said:

@Bertie McBoatface Thank you so much for your great enthusiasm... Now take your time and take a rest, you deserve it! I am looking forward to seeing more progress with your two wooden boats!

Thanks for the kind words. I hope to resume work on the wooden builds in the Maritime WIP section at some time in the future. In the meantime I'm messing with a few simple plastic tanks and dropping in to BM once in a while

On 2/9/2023 at 9:03 AM, danbuoy said:

@Bertie McBoatface thanks for your comments, support and enthusiasm, hope to see you back here soon!

Thanks Dan. I won't be building in GB's for some time but I'll drop in here occasionally for a look and a comment on the boats at least.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, psdavidson said:

@Bertie McBoatface I think I said this in one of your build threads previously. Take your time; we can wait until you are ready to return

Yes indeed Peter, I didn't listen to you then but this time I have set myself some boundaries. Thanks for understanding.

On 2/9/2023 at 3:29 PM, Ray S said:

@Bertie McBoatface, thank you for all you have done. Take your time (as has been mentioned) and come back aboard when you are ready.

PS Save your energy for entropy! (I think that might just be an oxymoron)

Thanks for your support Ray. I'll be around but in a more sensible/sustainable way, I hope.

You may know already but I have walked away from the Entropy GB too. My co-host Jeroen has taken on responsibility for that and I'm confident that he will do a much better job that I could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all for the kind words and understanding. Your comments have definitely helped me keep my head above water. Sometime soon I'll have paddled back to shore. 🏊‍♂️

Please don't answer these comments guys, I'd only feel obliged to respond and I'm trying to politely get away for a bit.

May good fortune attend thy builds and voyages of discovery,

Don 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

OK, so a hike out to an independent model shop on the far side of Coventry gave me an alternative project so I can at least get something done even if I can’t scratch build my way out of the problem with the F-35.

spacer.png

Watch this space.

#TalkToMeGoose

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 13

What, I go away for a few days and...?

I've completed a fairly painstaking update of the Behemothic Build List which I think is accurate in its representation of completed builds added to the gallery, as well as a small deluge of new WIPS added to the GB over the last week or so and all the builds that have actually been started. We even have one that has sunk. So here is your...

Day 44 roundup!

It's notable that SSD is now fifth from the top on the "current group builds" page; of the GBs starting more recently, there is one STGB, one aircraft manufacturer-specific GB and one that specifies kit manufacturers of a particular profile. The Reconnaissance GB is about to kick off, this is (one might say) a GB of broader potential in the same vein as SSD, and it will be interesting to see how it affects the level of activity on this GB. Certainly I'll be pitching in with at least one build (let's not think too hard about the two planned SSD builds I have yet to get off the ground... or the one I've yet to finish...), and @Col. is going to be a busy boy, co-hosting two overlapping GB's that were IIRC top of the voting pile in the Bunfight!

But, for the moment, the new WIPS just keep on coming, with as usual a wonderfully diverse array of subjects, namely: @Torbjorn's Marine Fokker E.V and @RC Boater Bill's Fokker D.VII (to my knowledge, neither of these Fokkers is a Messerschmitt); @Snafu35's landing craft with jeep combo; @Icarus's very welcome 1/48 SM 79 "Sparviero", one of those planes that's so ugly it's almost... nah, it's plain ugly, but its mamma loves it all the same; @Tim R-T-C's little 1/144 B5N1 "Kate"; @mark.au's SAR Wessex, always good to see one of them; @Faraway (it's that man again!) with his T-Class submarine HMS Tabard, though why the Royal Navy would name one of its subs after a garment commonly worn by school dinner ladies escapes me; @Alan P with a 1/485 scale rendition of the heavy cruiser USS Boston; @Thom216's IJN battlecruiser Akagi; @Bobby No Mac with his Seehund U-Boat - a boat that is literally called a sea dog!; and @Mjwomack betraying perhaps a slight obsession with wind turbines! If you're in this list and you're just joining us - the warmest of welcomes, sirs! And if you're adding new projects to your existing glories, you have my respect and gratitude for keeping the Good Ship HMS Salty Sea Dog steaming along!

As for completed builds... we have a Bearcat from @Luke1199 and a Corsair from @stevej60, that prolific father/son team (check out Luke's Israeli adventure btw) - I watched the film Devotion while I was away and these two builds are very evocative of it! @bianfuxia sailing the Blue Towel Sea with DDG-171; @Faraway turning in another stunner with his USS Admirable minesweeper; @paul-muc's striking Bundemarine Seaking; @Colin W's lovely HMS Victorious with full complement of planes on deck; and @Snafu35's fine-looking Dauntless.

So as you can see, there's a fair bit going on.

As for the one what sunk? Well, possibly it's a bit unfair in that it's still live... but it's been shipped off to another GB and won't make the SSD gallery... fair thee well, @stevej60's Skyhawk! (@Bertie McBoatface's two builds enjoy "protected status" in this regard, in recognition of his sterling work while co-hosting).

The scores on the doors:

183 builds

125 underway

31 finished

1 sunk

Over the next week I'll do my best to catch up with the many and varied individual builds, and will update every few days... who knows, that there Seafire of mine might even get some attention, and I need to prod Queen Mary about her Queen Mary.

Finally, if you're expecting a salty freebie from me, please don't blame Royal Mail for it not turning up, just had a frantic week before I went away and didn't get chance to get down the PO, they'll be on their way very soon!

Cheers all

Tony

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Really enjoyed the Hobbyboss easy kit builds in this and the FW 190 GB so if all goes well with the two left to do here and there being plenty of time left I have a Hellcat,Wildcat

and Zero winging their way here all eligible for the GB we'll see.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

there being plenty of time left

Well you say that... can I turn around two builds on top of a couple of WIPs in a couple of months? I really would like to get my Zumbach Spitfire over the line too... 

• Like 3

Day 45 roundup!

Just a quick one today, as I'm hell-bent on getting some bench time tonight.

There was me all pleased with myself for my painstaking update of the Behemothic Build List, when in fact it was all over the place. I've now correctly linked the blue finished builds to their gallery pictures, and apologies to @PeterB and @stevej60 for somehow omitting their Prowler and Ocean Hawk/Sea Hawk double build, respectively.

Today's new gallery star is @RC Boater Bill's lovely little Sopwith Pup. And please welcome along @Paul821 with his Higgins landing craft.

As at today we are at:

187 builds*

127 underway

32 finished

1 sunk

* compare and contrast with 92 WIPs when the GB opened on 7th January! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Day 45 roundup!

Just a quick one today, as I'm hell-bent on getting some bench time tonight.

There was me all pleased with myself for my painstaking update of the Behemothic Build List, when in fact it was all over the place. I've now correctly linked the blue finished builds to their gallery pictures, and apologies to @PeterB and @stevej60 for somehow omitting their Prowler and Ocean Hawk/Sea Hawk double build, respectively.

Today's new gallery star is @RC Boater Bill's lovely little Sopwith Pup. And please welcome along @Paul821 with his Higgins landing craft.

As at today we are at:

187 builds*

127 underway

32 finished

1 sunk

* compare and contrast with 92 WIPs when the GB opened on 7th January! 

@TonyOD you still have my Saratoga build listed as PeterB's 😭

Decided as 2 entries are now decal ready and the third I started today looks a really simple build I fancied another one, a late corsair to go with the early one I did, all bombed and rocketed up, and then I discovered just how wrong the Italeri late corsair range actually is, so that put a dampener on the idea.....I think in all the worms that dug up the U4 version of it is ok which my local happens to have one so perhaps I can do that one

Edit: I’m confused now, I’ve heard the 2013 U7/Au-1 boxing has the correct fuselage?  Would I be able to use that to make a Korean War u-5 with some spare revell decals? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

@TonyOD you still have my Saratoga build listed as PeterB's 😭

Duly remedied, with most sincere apologies!

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Decided as 2 entries are now decal ready and the third I started today looks a really simple build I fancied another one, a late corsair to go with the early one I did, all bombed and rocketed up, and then I discovered just how wrong the Italeri late corsair range actually is, so that put a dampener on the idea.....I think in all the worms that dug up the U4 version of it is ok which my local happens to have one so perhaps I can do that one

Edit: I’m confused now, I’ve heard the 2013 U7/Au-1 boxing has the correct fuselage?  Would I be able to use that to make a Korean War u-5 with some spare revell decals? 

Got to be honest, not even Google helped me identify what kit/subject you're referring to, can you provide further info? Thanks.

• Like 1

My bad, helps if I actually give the full desihnation and get the year right......🤣

anyway was asking if the parts inside had the same nose issue as the early issues of the italeri kit and if it could be backdated to a u-5, got contradictory info on the nose, but just seen the parts now and its clear they are the same across the whole family of kits, so if I do get it Ill have to lengthen the nose to do either a -5 or -7, might just settle and buy the -4 which the nose is fine for, will still be a fully armed korean war corsair...... edit seems I’ve settled it, whilst there are changes between the early issue and later ones the fuselage is the same short version in the entire family so it’s either build a -4 or lengthen the nose which I think is beyond my skills, might still buy the -4 tommorow anyway 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

I tend to work my way through the GBs based on completion date. I’ve now finished my Ju88 and armoured car build. As I’m host for the FW190 build that gets priority, but my four SSD builds are now more or less at the top of the list, and indeed the Sablatnig and the Hovercraft are both back on the bench.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

I tend to work my way through the GBs based on completion date. I’ve now finished my Ju88 and armoured car build. As I’m host for the FW190 build that gets priority, but my four SSD builds are now more or less at the top of the list, and indeed the Sablatnig and the Hovercraft are both back on the bench.

I'm getting a wee bit stressed about the load I'm putting on myself with the usual unrealistic forecasts of what I'll be able to build within GB timeframe constraints. I always do this. Apart from two standalone WIPs, I have one in the works for the SSD (and two more planned!), and I told myself I'd do two for the Recce GB, which is almost upon us. All this on top of hosting this GB (which I am enjoying immensely) and the demands of a busy lifestyle with other interests. As I only build Spitfires, with the exception of the Seafire I have on the go for the SSD I'm thinking of amalgamating everything else in one Spitfire factory megathread on the main WIP section, hence allowing myself to the freedom to build what I want when I want, and take part in/cheerlead for the occasional GB if and when I feel like it.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

OK, so I may have fallen down a rabbit hole trying to figure out the detail differences between the various blocks of F-14 production. Especially since from the looks of things the example I was looking to model (BuNO 161428, as shown on Milspec sheet 72-011) is a post-engine swap Block 120 but the kit I have depicts BuNO 160655, from Block 100.

So not sure how much conversion work would be needed or if I just need to drop a set of GE engines in.

35 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

OK, so I may have fallen down a rabbit hole trying to figure out the detail differences between the various blocks of F-14 production. Especially since from the looks of things the example I was looking to model (BuNO 161428, as shown on Milspec sheet 72-011) is a post-engine swap Block 120 but the kit I have depicts BuNO 160655, from Block 100.

So not sure how much conversion work would be needed or if I just need to drop a set of GE engines in.

Again, got to be honest, I have no idea what any of this means. 😁

8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Again, got to be honest, I have no idea what any of this means. 😁

To roughly summarise, production blocks refer to the incremental changes made to the aircraft across its production life. BuNo in reference to US Navy aircraft is the airframe serial number.

So what I’m trying to figure out is if there are any conversion parts for the outside I would need to source / scratch build to turn the model from the aircraft depicted by the kit to the one I was looking to replicate.

• Thanks 1